CPM in Home Guard National Exercise & Parade

mls

4.-5. JUNI 2016

Kronprinsessen deltager i Hjemmeværnets Landsøvelse 2016 den 4.-5. juni. Ryes Kaserne, Treldevej 110, Fredericia, kl. 8.00

Hjemmeværnets Landsøvelse 2016 har til formål at træne hjemmeværnssoldater i krigsopgaver samt vedligeholde

militære færdigheder.

Landsøvelsen afholdes den 3.-5. juni 2016 og er for alle hjemmeværnssoldater.

4 - 5 June 2016, 8:00 am

HRH The Crown Princess participates in the Home Guard National Exercise 2016 on 4-5th June.

Ryes Kaserne, Treldevej 110, Fredericia.

Home Guard National Exercise 2016 aims to train the Home Guard soldiers in war assignments and

maintain military skills. The national exercise is held on 3rd-5th June 2016 and is for all National Guard soldiers.

http://www.hjv.dk/Sider/default.aspx

http://www.hjv.dk/sider/english.aspx

"400 foreign volunteers from Estonia, Germany, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Sweden and USA

take part in the exercise"

05. JUNI 2016

H.M. Dronningen modtager Hjemmeværnets Parade. Fredericia, kl. 11.00.

Paraden markerer afslutningen på Hjemmeværnets Landsøvelse 2016.

05. JUNI 2016

H.M. Dronningen afholder reception i anledning af Hjemmeværnets Landsøvelse på Kongeskibet Dannebrog. Kastelshavnen i Fredericia, kl. 13.30.

5 June 2016, 11:00 am

H. M. The Queen receives the Home Guard Parade. Fredericia.

The parade marks the end of the Home Guard National Exercise 2016

5 June 2016, 1:30 pm

H. M. The Queen hosts a reception on the occasion of the Home Guard National Exercise

on the Royal Yacht Dannebrog.

The Kastel harbour in Fredericia.

http://www.hjv.dk/oe/HJK/nyheder/Sider/H--M--Dronningen-og-H-K-H--Kronprinsessen-deltager.aspx

"3rd-5th June 2016 the Home Guard holds a national exercise with more than 5000 participants.

HRH Crown Princess Mary participates in the exercise and parade, which is received and inspected by

HM the Queen on June 5, 2016"

A couple of online pieces from BB ahead of the weekend Home Guard exercise:

http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/kronprinsesse-mary-klar-til-kamp-i-weekenden

"Crown Princess Mary ready for battle at the weekend"

http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/se-billederne-saa-sej-er-kronprinsesse-mary

"So tough is Crown Princess Mary

- Crown Princess Mary throws herself into things - and it does not matter if she gets dirty, the hair gets messy or she must jump into a uniform. Just look at the pictures here..."

Indeed, it is very good PR for the home guard to have her, the wife to the heir to the Danish throne, participate in these events. It also says a lot about the Crown Princess herself, and her absolute commitment to immerse herself completely and irretrievably into Danish society, and "earn" the position she was given when she became a Danish citizen and the kingdom's Crown Princess. After all, she could have chosen not to do the things she has been doing, and simply become just another pretty face who cuts ribbons and enjoys the perks of being married to a rich man, who will one day be king. Good for her!

The downside to announcing the participation of the Crown Princess in the exercise in any capacity and allowing the press to document said participation is that, being who she is, they will focus on her, and the work that the other Home Guard volunteers do, will get lost in the "glamour" of reporting on the Crown Princess' participation. Looking at things in that light, I think it would have been better if her participation were reported after the fact. I realise, however, that that may not have been possible with the Queen scheduled to watch the parade tomorrow.

The downside to announcing the participation of the Crown Princess in the exercise in any capacity and allowing the press to document said participation is that, being who she is, they will focus on her, and the work that the other Home Guard volunteers do, will get lost in the "glamour" of reporting on the Crown Princess' participation. Looking at things in that light, I think it would have been better if her participation were reported after the fact. I realise, however, that that may not have been possible with the Queen scheduled to watch the parade tomorrow.

A very limited amount of press was allowed to document about an hour of the day. Mary attended the exercise

from 8 in the morning. While I'm sure many Danes know what the Home Guard does, I read somewhere,

that there are many who think, that all they do is sit by the camp fire and sleep in tents.

You know, just camp in the woods.

Having a member of the DRF join the Home Guard and who has attended many of these things, is a good way for the Home Guard to get press and use that to tell even more people what they actually do.

And I'm sure it's also good for recruiting new members.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived