The Crown Princess Mary Scholarship

The Crown Princess Mary Scholarship

There are two. The first one is a wedding gift from the University of Copenhagen to the Tasmanian-born Princess Mary, when she married Prince Frederik. Established in 2004 and commencing 2005.

The Crown Princess Mary Scholarship is established for a five-year period and is to be awarded to students from the University of Copenhagen’s Australian partner institutions.

Two scholarships of DKK 10,000 (app. A$2,200) will be available each calendar year commencing in 2005.

Eligibility

Available to current undergraduate students who are studying in: Humanities, Social Science, Science (Chemistry, Biochemistry, Earth Science, Plant Science and Zoology) or Economics (applicants should refer to the list of available courses taught in English at the University of Copenhagen below). Applicants should demonstrate a particular interest in studying at the University of Copenhagen.

Amount

The University of Copenhagen will provide DKK 10,000 (approx A$2,200) towards living expenses. In addition, if one of the successful applicants is from the University of Tasmania, UTAS will provide a further $3,000 towards expenses including airfare. In the event that the nominated University of Tasmania student is not successful but still wishes to travel on student exchange to the University of Copenhagen, UTAS will still provide $3,000 to help meet costs.

2005 recipients

1apiamary1ai3.jpg

Pictured: Princess Mary (centre) with Sydney University student Pia Akerman (left) and Andrew Fleming (right) from the University of Adelaide who also received a scholarship

Source

http://www.usyd.edu.au/news/84.html?newsstoryid=599''

2006 recipients

Danielle Conlan fro Univ of Tas., who will be studying at the faculty of Law and Joseph Kelly from Queensland Univ. of Technology, who will study at the Math. faculty.

1a005026de3.jpg

Princess Mary (far left) with QUT student Joseph Kelly (second from right). Also pictured are fellow scholarship recipient Danielle Conlan and University of Copenhagen Vice Chancellor Ralf Hemmingsen.

Source of info

http://www.news.qut.edu.au/cgi-bin/WebObje...ewsEventID=8431

2007 recipients

One of the recipients -Arts PhB student Phoebe Downing

http://info.anu.edu.au/mac/Newsletters_and...scholarship.asp

The other Scholarship is Crown Princess Mary Scholarship (Danish Students on Exchange to UTAS) -established in 2006 and commencing 2007.

HRH Crown Princess Mary has agreed to her former University, the University of Tasmania, granting an annual scholarship to a Danish student undertaking an exchange at UTAS. It will be known as the Crown Princess Mary Scholarship. Our partner universities in Denmark will each be asked to nominate one student to receive the 2007 Crown Princess Mary Scholarship. They will be encouraged to nominate highly competent students who have shown a particular interest in studying in Tasmania

Eligibility

The student will be selected from the students who have applied to study at UTAS under our exchange agreements. The Crown Princess Mary Scholarship is open to undergraduate students in all areas of study offered at the UTAS. As the Scholarship will be presented in March each year, we hope to select a student who is going to study at the University of Tasmania in Semester 1 (the Danish Spring Semester starting mid February 2007) or for the full year.

Amount

The Scholarship will provide the student with A$3,000 (approx. DKK 12,500) towards travel or accommodation costs.

Duration

One semester or one year

Source

http://www.scholarships.utas.edu.au/scm_de...=&award=284

• 1 year later...

http://www.uq.edu.au/news/?article=17483

Royal gift grants the trip of a lifetime for UQ student

RebeccaJames.jpg

UQ Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws student, Rebecca James, is the latest recipient of a wedding gift to Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark.

Rebecca is the 2009 winner of the Crown Princess Mary Scholarship from the University of Copenhagen.

The Scholarship is available to students from the University's Australian exchange partners and provides funding towards living expenses while the student is on exchange at the University of Copenhagen.

Rebecca, who arrived in Denmark three weeks ago, said the scholarship was a welcome surprise.

"It feels too good to be true to be rewarded simply for being Australian and for being interested in studying fascinating international law electives – particularly since it feels like a dream come true just to be here in Denmark studying what I love for a semester," she said.

Rebecca will be presented with the Scholarship by Princess Mary later in the semester.

"A lot of my friends were joking that I should say hi to Princess Mary for them whilst on exchange, but I never actually thought I'd get the chance to meet her," Rebecca said.

"Needless to say, I couldn't really be any more excited."

UQ Abroad, the University's exchange program, allows students to study overseas for one or two semesters and earn credit towards their UQ degree.

UQ has partnerships with more than 130 universities in 30 countries.

• 1 year later...

http://www.uq.edu.au/news/?article=20823

A royal experience for UQ student

UQ student Carly Bodkin has found her passion and, with a little help from Australia's favourite Princess, is pursuing it on European shores.

“My family and I had often joked about meeting Princess Mary, and now it will become reality in May,” she said.

Ms Bodkin is the recipient of the Crown Princess Mary Scholarship, which provides funding towards living expenses for an Australian student on exchange at the University of Copenhagen.

Her degree is in mathematics, a subject she speaks about passionately.

“Mathematics is a language, a language in which only mathematicians are fluent,” Ms Bodkin said.

“I desire to use the 5000-year-old science that is Mathematics to help enrich the world.

“I hope to do this in two ways; firstly through mathematics research and cutting edge advancement, and secondly through mathematics education.”

In addition to studying maths, she has also selected Danish language and culture courses.

Ms Bodkin said she hoped her exchange adventure was not all study, with a travel itinerary already drafted.

“I have already visited cities in Sweden and Germany and in a couple of weeks I will be travelling to The Netherlands and Poland,” she said.

“While in Europe I also have plans to visit Italy, France, Austria, Belgium and Spain.”

Ms Bodkin arrived in Copenhagen on December 30 – the same day as her 21st birthday – and will be officially presented with the Scholarship by Princess Mary in May.

UQ Abroad, the University's exchange program, allows students to study overseas for one or two semesters and earn credit towards their UQ degree.

UQ has partnerships with more than 130 universities in 27 countries.

Media: Penny Robinson at UQ Communications (07 3365 9723, penny.robinson@uq.edu.au)

• 2 years later...
On 22.5.2007 at 0:28 PM, mayflower said:

The other Scholarship is Crown Princess Mary Scholarship (Danish Students on Exchange to UTAS) -established in 2006.

5. March:

Media release from the University of Tasmania: http://www.media.utas.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/221196/Princess-Mary-Scholarship.pdf

She's already been invited to Amalienborg in september, where she will meet Crown Princess Mary and Crown Prince Frederik, who unfortunately did not have the opportunity to be present at the scholarship ceremony in Tasmania.

• 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...

The Crown Princess Mary Scholarship 2016 - University of Tasmania

The Mercury Tasmania:

Royal help for more Danes at uni

BT:

Mary rewards Danish students in Tasmania

According to one of the recipients, both Mary's father John and sister Jane Stephens were present.

"presented by none other than John Donaldson and Jane Donaldson"

http://websta.me/p/1212991347488375970_483327736

The recipients will be invited to Amalienborg to meet CP Mary later this year.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...