Private visit to Australia

mls

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally we have a witness with name and picture has come forward, to gave a version on what happened. But keep in mind that it is just a version, but it is nice to have another view on things.

http://www.bt.dk/royale/oejenvidne-afsloerer-nye-detaljer-om-prins-christians-redning-og-de-vender-op-og-ne4

Rough translation

Eyewitness reveals new details on Prince Christian rescue - and they turn upside down everything

Peter Ølholm Hansson

An eyewitness now offers a completely different version of the story that otherwise has flourished on the dramatic Thursday when the Danish heir to the throne, Prince Christian, was caught in a dangerous ocean current off Mermaid Beach in Australia. According to the witness was the great hero not a lifeguard - but the 10-year-old prince himself.

Contrary to what has so far come to light, it is apparently not the 25-year-old Australian lifeguard Nick Malcolm to be run with credit for Prince Christian Thursday escaped unhurt from his meeting with the brutal Pacific during the royal couple Christmas holiday in Australia. According to the Australian eyewitness Joan Hyams did the 10-year-old prince himself to swim to shore at Mermaid Beach, after he was caught in a outbound local and temporary current - a so-called rip current. In fact, she says that the lifeguard 'was not in the water'.

The head of the local lifeguard team, Stuart Keay, had a different view of the incident. According to him, it was because of the 25-year-old lifeguard Nick Malcolm resourceful effort that Prince Christian could reunite with the royal couple in the beach width.

"We caught up with him before it was too serious. But he would not have been able to get ashore himself, "said Stuart Keay subsequent to the Australian television station 7 News.

Stuart Keay told as updating that no lifeguard on the team knew that there was a royal visit by Denmark at Mermaid Beach, and it was a Danish heir to the throne, who was about to come to grief on his swim.

"A woman came over and asked: 'Do you know who this is?' But we had no idea, "said Stuart Keay to 7 News.

It was apparently aforementioned eyewitness, Joan Hyams, who did lifeguard team aware of the royal beach visitors that she could recognize from Australian media. She lives in Brisbane and is a qualified teacher from Griffith University. BT found her, after a reader Monday addressed the editors and told them he had discovered her in a debate on the magazine Times' Facebook page. Here Joan Hyams had written that she 'was the woman who had approached the lifeguard team.'

When BT Tuesdays got hold of Joan Hyams she says that she went into the debate to bring the media stories back down to earth(dk:mane til jorden). And Instead, give her version.

Joan Hyams tells BT that she during the episode was standing about 20 meters from Prince Christian and five meters of Crown Prince Frederik, who stood at the seashore. According to her testimony much of the credit for that Prince Christian escaped unhurt go to the 10-year-old prince himself. For he did apparently manage the dangerous waves by himself.

Swam himself away from the rip current

According to Joan Hyams Prince Christian, by from her view fell of his surfboard when he passed into a outbound, local and temporary current - a so-called rip current.

"It is under such circumstances that a person is taken away from the shore by the current. He (Prince Christian, ed) could not get up on his surfboard again and began to swim back towards the shore. His board was still attached to his ankle with a rope, "said Joan Hyams, who Thursday was in the middle of a week's holiday with his family.

According to Joan Hyams the water was reasonably lively when the Danish heir apparent was in the water.

"There was constantly waves, but they were not large. But a rip current can be a difficult situation for any swimmer. I know experienced swimmers who have been carried away by the current, "says Joan Hyams.

While Prince Christian was in the water, his father, Crown Prince Frederik, stood - according to Joan Hyams - at the water's edge and looked at his four children, who were all out to bathe.

It was apparently at this time that the 25-year-old lifeguard Nick Malcolm saw the Danish heir to the throne in difficulty:

"The lifeguard was very effective. He saw that Christian was struggling against the tide and went down to Frederik at the water's edge. They exchanged a few words. It looks that they clarified that the child was Frederiks.. After this they both saw that Christian managed to catch a wave that brought him back to shore," says Joan Hyams and continues:

"It seems that the young prince came to the conclusion that the conditions in the water was too bad for him. He took his surfboard with him back to the sand, where his mother lay on a towel and spoke with her Australian girlfriend Amber Petty. "

According Joan Hyams representation of the event the lifeguard Nick Malcolm was never in the water to bring Prince Christian to shore.

"The young lifeguard was at no time in the water to save Christian," says Joan Hyams that gives credit to the Prince for being able to swim to shore with a surf board tacked to the ankle.

Joan Hyams also stated that it made a strong impression on her that Crown Prince Frederik let his son be himself in the water:

"As a mother and teacher, I am very impressed that Frederik was restrained enough to let his son try to handle the situation himself. Nothing helicopter parent going on here" says Joan Hyams to BT. "Helicopter parent":I guess she means no hysteric out control parrent?

Does not want attention

It has not been possible to get a comment from the Lifeguard Nick Malcolm on Joan Hyams version of the incident. His boss, Warren Young, says, however, Tuesday to BT that he has was told that Malcolm was in the water to bring Prince Christian to shore - though he was not so far out:

"Nick Malcolm paddled out into the water on his surfboard to pick him (Prince Christian, ed). He was in the water, but from what Nick told me not very far out - about 10 meters. The guys who work with us are very, very fast on their surfboard. And Nick Malcolm is extremely quick on his board, so I would understand if the woman did not catch it," said Warren Young, adding: The last part sounds a little funny:-)

"None of us has ever wanted to get attention for this. This is something we deal with every day, and it was a routine job for us, "said Warren Young.

BT is working to get a comment from the royal house of the new information about the incident.

Look at my motto below. When I began my Royal Watcher career around 2003/2004 I relatively soon came to that conclusion

I understand the "helicopter parents" to be what we call "curling parents".? Parents who try to sweep away all the difficulties for their children.

Or does it mean something else?

Has Warren Young, the boss, not had several versions of this story by now? Christian is obviously a

very smart, capable boy.

"None of us has ever wanted to get attention for this. This is something we deal with every day, and it

was a routine job for us, "said Warren Young."

Who leaked this to the press? It was three days after the incident, until it was out.

I understand the "helicopter parents" to be what we call "curling parents".? Parents who try to sweep away all the difficulties for their children.

Or does it mean something else?

Has Warren Young, the boss, not had several versions of this story by now? Christian is obviously a

very smart, capable boy.

"None of us has ever wanted to get attention for this. This is something we deal with every day, and it

was a routine job for us, "said Warren Young."

Who leaked this to the press? It was three days after the incident, until it was out.

Curling parrent could probably also be a good word for it:-) But they can also be hysteric:-)

Warren Young to me seemed relative balanced, at least in some of the quotes I have seen. The same impression I also had on how he appeared on a video clip I saw. There was another guy who maybe was a bit more dramatic:-) Even though they are professionals, they are just as human as everyone else and I can imaging that the Media pressure for feel good story was enormous and it possible they get sucked in. I think we should be careful with too harsh judgements also because more versions may appear at some point and the pendulum suddenly swings the other way again:-)

I don't think there is any reason to go into big conspiracy theories about leaks. A lifeguard tells his wife, she tells a friend, friend tells at work, colleague posts on facebook, cousin married to journalist sees update...:-)

Today, Boxing Day and sister Jane's 50th birthday bash:

Just another family at the beach: Princess Mary grabs a board and hits the surf at Byron Bay with Prince Frederik and the kids

A few more photos of Frederik would have been nice and perhaps a few less of Mary's behind... :rolleyes:

"The Australian-born, originally from Tasmania, even carried a surfboard into the waves" :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived