Mary's Patronages - Part 1

hotdog

From the website of Sjældne Diagnoser (Rare Disorders )

Mary has given two video statements on rare diseases. The two statements are of Danish and English.

The two video statements have been produced in connection with Rare-day in 2009.

Article and video links : http://www.sjaeldnediagnoser.dk/00787/01019/

(You can click on the link and watch the video clip, or right click on the link and chose "Save file as", to save the video clip on your PC.)

Screen-caps

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the links!

You know, I can't tell if Princess Mary memorized what she said or if she was reading from a prompter. But she sounds lovely in both languages. I'm glad she also did it in English for us English speakers.

To our Danish members, did Princess Mary say exactly the same thing in Danish and English. I can follow some of the Danish but don't recognize a lot of the words so I can't be too sure.

Thanks.

Thanks for the clips.

I agree she's got an excellent speaking voice. The messages were as far as I could tell identical.

It seems obvious to me that she deilivered both her messages with the aid of a telepromter, even though she clearly has rehersed the texts.

There was one thing that struck me. Listen very carefully. She is speaking with an accent as usual and then in the middle of a sentence a word is pronounced in the way a native would pronounce them.

Svært at 00:48.

Erfaringer at 00:52.

Familien at 01:10.

Hjælpende at 01:34.

These were the more clear examples. A few more and short words were pronounced without accent too.

I had my husband, who is the linguist in the family, watch both the Danish and English version of the videos and he was very surprised to hear Princess Mary speaking English. He said she sounds just like a Dane speaking English. To me, she just sounds Australian.

On another note, did anyone every watch the series 'Touched By An Angel' with Roma Downey and Della Reese from years ago? In each episode, when Monica (played by Roma Downey) reveals she's an angel, a light goes on from above and behind her. My hubby says this is what Princess Mary looks like. She looks like she's an angel with the way her hair is illuminated. Now, I'm going to have to hunt for old episodes to see what he means.

Here's the only picture I could find of Roma Downey (on left) with the 'angel effect':

214Revelation.jpg

Thanks Muhler for your comments!

Oh yes, I remember the scenes ;) When she revealed that she is an angel, a golden sunny light appeared around her head :rose:

Similar to the one we saw on the photos of Mary in Cahors years ago :( Do you remember them? She wore a white skirt and light top :)

• 3 weeks later...

I had my husband, who is the linguist in the family, watch both the Danish and English version of the videos and he was very surprised to hear Princess Mary speaking English. He said he sounds just like a Dane speaking English. To me, she just sounds Australian.

I've finally had the opportunity to watch the videos and I agree with you, ayvee, for the most part. CP Mary's accent when speaking English has sort of reverted to Australian again - if you watch the documentary made just before the wedding, she sounds heavily-accented. I read an article at the time that called this language/accent-assimilation - something one does unconsciously in order to fit in with a new culture. Now that CP Mary has her Danish "down pat", she doesn't have to try as hard to sound Danish and can relax a bit when she's speaking English. Definitely sounds more Australian these days, a lot more like her sisters' accents.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a new patronage listed on the CP couple's website, don't know when it was added.

LOKK

LOKK – Nationwide organisation of shelters for battered women

LOKK is a private, humanitarian and social nationwide organisation of shelters and other non-profit services to battered women, which is primarily focused on ending men’s violence against women and children.

LOKK offers protection, support and counselling at its shelters, with the purpose of equipping battered women and their children to a life without violence.

LOKK runs an expertise and information centre, which promotes relevant legislation and research.

www.lokk.dk

• 9 months later...

Interview with Mary in 'Hjertenyt'/Hjerteforeningens medlemsblade:

(The Danish Heart Foundation members journal)

"Med kronprinsessen på arbejde": http://boccawired.ipapercms.dk/Hjerteforen.../Hjertenyt0110/

"En hjertesag for kronprinsessen": http://boccawired.ipapercms.dk/Hjerteforen.../Hjertenyt0110/

The links directly to the articles don't seem to work. It's pages 12-14. Could somebody help?!

And please move this somewhere appropriate

Great find, mls. :rose:

The links worked fine. They go to a magazine reader page. You can turn the pages at the bottom right with your cursor.

If you want a different (better) reading experience, go to the bottom of the page of the first link and click on the "download pdf file". It will scroll through the pages.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest ericat

CP Mary keeps amazing me with her dedication to many and also very varied organisations. Becoming a Patron must require a lot of thought and consideration, as I would assume that CP Mary does not make these decisions lightly.

I applaud her for agreeing to taking on such a cause, which is most often never given any press at all.

• 2 months later...

Press Release

31 May 2010

H.R.H. The Crown Princess of Denmark becomes patron of UNFPA to support women’s health

COPENHAGEN - H.R.H. Crown Princess Mary of Denmark has become Patron of UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund, to support the agency’s work to promote maternal health and safer motherhood in more than 150 developing nations. This work is a UNFPA key priority because women have about 1 in 7 lifetime risk of maternal death in a few developing countries; compared to 1 in 17,800 in Denmark, according to the latest published United Nations estimates.

“It is a great honour that H.R.H. Crown Princess Mary has chosen to become Patron of UNFPA,” said UNFPA’s Executive Director, Thoraya Ahmed Obaid, who has previously met with the Crown Princess. “We at UNFPA appreciate the Crown Princess’ personal engagement in and knowledge of the situation women face in developing countries. Her help to UNFPA and its partners would shine more light on women’s urgent health needs and deaths in pregnancy and childbirth.”

Crown Princess Mary will attend Women Deliver, a global conference on maternal health, which takes place in Washington, D.C. from 7 to 9 June. UNFPA is one of the organizations behind the conference which will be attended by more than 3,400 ministers, experts and civil organizations’ representatives from 140 countries. At the conference, participants will pursue ways to ensure that all pregnancies are wanted and can be welcomed with joy rather than fear.

UNFPA is an international development agency that promotes the right of every woman, man and child to enjoy a life of health and equality. UNFPA works to ensure that every pregnancy is wanted, every birth is safe, and that every young person is free of HIV/AIDS. UNFPA supports countries in using population data to plan for social infrastructure to reduce poverty.

http://europe.unfpa.org/...

http://www.unric.org/en/...

http://www.kronprinsparret.dk/...

Guest Valentine

This seems to be an extention of the Maternity Worldwide, but under the umbrella of the UN!

(UNFPA = United Nations Population Fund)

http://www.unfpa.org/public/cache/offonce/news/pid/5831

02 June 2010

H.R.H. The Crown Princess of Denmark Becomes Patron of UNFPA to Support Women’s Health

http://www.unric.org/en/latest-news/26199-...t-womens-health

Tuesday, 08 June 2010

Crown Princess of Denmark becomes parton of UNFPA to support women's health

http://www.optimumpopulation.org/blog/?p=2359

• 6 months later...

UNFPA Dispatch : Fistula survivors meet the Danish Crown Princess

Just a little note: many Australians will know about this (lots of Australian girls schools do fund raising for this cause), but there is a very notable Australian connection here and I think it is wonderful that Mary is involved with this.

Dr Catherine Hamlin is an (awesome!!) obstetrician and gynaecologist who went with her husband to Ethiopia over 50 years ago in association with AusAid. They set up the now famous hospital to help fistula patients and have extended the program in many ways, through building new hospitals, training fistula doctors and nurses (many are former fistula sufferers themselves) and setting up education programmes. They also set up the "Village of Joy" for the 7% or so of fistula survivors who cannot be cured surgically and cannot return to their villages.

Although now well into her 80s Catherine Hamlin still spends most of her time in Ethiopia or touring to raise funds (I think she was on Oprah's show a few years ago) and although she has children and grandchildren in Sydney, she regards the women she helps as her 'children' too.

Hamlin Fistula Relief & Aid Fund

Catherine Hamlin on Wikipedia

If you don't know about fistulas here is a little from a PBS item "A Walk to Beautiful" on You Tube:

The full PBS documentary of 52 minutes is here.

Here is Caroline Ditina's story from the Democratic Republic of Congo:

I noticed today that CIFF is no longer listed as one of Mary's patronages on their official website (Designers Nest still is)

Mary's Patronages

Just a mistake or is that patronage really over?

It's still on the English part on their website. But who knows? Its been 6 years(August) and maybe it was time to move on or there was a fixed timeframe from the start? Or a mistake?

Archived