Queen Margrethe & Prince Henrik - part 7

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think that CP Frederik would have been paired with Queen Margrethe, in the sense that the future monarch would be learning from the current monarch, so to speak. :lol: But then again, CP Frederik has far more experience than CP Mary. She has afterall only been Crown Princess for almost 5 1/2 years.

It could be Trine Villeman herself with a pseudonym!!!!!! With that lady nothing is impossible! Just joking.

Well,

I must say, I too thought his source is one of Denmarks best journalist. The marvelous best selling author Trine Villemann and her incredible trustworthy connections close to the royal family. O_o:lol:

:lol: Very funny!

But at least this guy is honest enough to say he has no evidence at all. He doesn't shout and accuse anyone who challenges him.

Billed Bladet quotes the Queen's head of communications, Lene Balleby, too.

"Queen Margrethe has absolutely no plans to abdicate."

Also this:

The Royal Court replies that it's true that Prince Henrik will spend more time on the wine château in France, and that this is undramatic and has been planned and advertised for five years."

Article in Danish . English translation . translation to German

Yeah, it seems like the papers has swooped down on something he mentiones almost en passant in his book.

He writes about the DRF travels and then he mentiones something about Queen Margrethe perhaps, maybe could consider abdicating and move to France with Henrik and enjoy the twilight of their lives there.

He admits freely that's it's only speculation and hearsay.

And why not? He gets free advertising and he can write another book next year.

The most interesting bit is that Lene Balleby went out very early on and refused any such plans. It's not so much the author but rather the rest of the media who got carried away. ;)

The topic about Queen Margrethe abdicating surface two or three times a year in the tabloids. Nothing new or odd in that.

It would be much more interesting if Queen Margrethe was frail or suffered from Parkinsons or something like that.

But as far as I can see all her mental capabillities are fully intact and she is still active physically and until that changes I'd say it's pretty certain that she will remain being the Monarch. :)

But now Trine Villemann has something to work on for her next book.

Excerpts from article and editorial in Billed Bladet #43, 2009.

When a very pro-DRF magazine like Billed Bladet even mentions something that may be an issue either within or in connection with the DRF, it's worth noticing.

This is based on the brief media hype about Queen Margrethe considering abdicating, which somewhat unusually was denied by the court.

The much more interesting matter in connection with this is that Prince Henrik, in an age of 75, seems to have unofficially retired.

Kærligheden eller pligten - The love or the duty.

Written by Annelise Wiemann, who is the journalist who cover the Regent Couple the most.

She starts out with detemining that there is no way Queen Margrethe will abdicate, that will go against her sense of duty and her character. And I quote the article: - The Queen will also never subject Crown Prince Frederik to becoming a king while he still has small children. The Queen, if any, knows how difficult it is to be a regent and a parent to small children. She was still only 31 when she was proclaimed queen and at that time Frederik was three and Joachim two. It wasn't easy and the Queen has later said that she to some degree let her children down. She will under no circumstances wish that this will happen again for her own son.

The article goes on to describe to deep love Queen Margrethe feels for her husband, illustrated with a number of quotes:

- "Without my husband I don't know where I would be today. To be alone as a queen, that was to me the worst nightmare when I was around 24-25, because as I used to say: Who on earth would want a queen? Not being married seems to me an impossible thought/notion.

- "My husband is the one who represents the firm basis for me, the one I can lean against, when I need it. Also when something is bothering both of us".

- "It's a thought I will not think about yet. That the day I lose my husband, the world will crumble. That's obvious. It will be a completely different world after that. But life has to go on, it must. Of course. But I know very well that one (I) will become just half a person".

About her duty: "If my parents against my expectation had not accepted my chosen one (*) , I would have been pretty inconsolable. But if it really was such that I could not allow myself that marriage, then I would have accepted their decision".

The article now focus on the essence, Prince Henrik. He stated in connection with his 70th birthday that he eventually wished to spend more time in Cayz and that this is what we are seeing now.

Again quoting the article: A large part of the time he will be in France at the couple's chateau, but he will also travel more than beforehand. Prince Henrik has always loved to visit foreign countries and with his advanced age, he feels it's time for him to relax a little more and follow his own whim. At the same time Prince Henrik is not feeling comfortable in this country, where the old problem about being number three even though his considers himself as the number two, still keeps on surfacing. (**)

Since August 2009, Prince Henrik has only been in Denmark for 20 days altogether and for the rest of the year, he will only be here for around two weeks more.

Queen Margrethe will not abdicate or go to France and that leads us to another quote from the article: That's why the Queen will do anything to ensure that this akward (***) situation will work.

But how? The Queen cannot and will not live outside DK, but she can easily spend more time in France. Turning 70 next time people will understand that she would wish to reduce her workload.

The article ends with this, and mind your eyebrows: Prince Henrik is stubborn and can hardly be persuaded to move completely back to Denmark again. So it's the Queen who must come up with a solution. That will consist in taking care of both duty as well as love. Because they are the two most important things in the Queen's life.

(*) Udkårne - A word used about the one you love and have chosen as your life-partner. May this beautiful expression never vanish from the language.

(**) Here referring to PH feeling unappreciated. The heat he got from the public about his thoughts about being king and his sulking about Frederik in some cases, in regards to protocol, stepping in before his father.

It's a thing I, and the vast majority of Danes, simply cannot understand. If I were Frederik's father I wouldn't sulk because his comes before me. I would tapdance across Amalienborg Square with pride!

(***) That is an eyebrow-raising expression when coming from Billed Bladet!

What follows is a translation of the editorial.

Translation of the editorial:

Skæbne forpligter - Destiny oblige.

The successor to the throne of Denmark, Princess Margrethe, glowed with happiness when she on the 1o. June 1967 came almost floating out from Holmens Kirke as a newlywed and with her husband, the Frecn Prince Henrik at her side.

That's 42 years ago and a lot of water has run under the bridge since then. But the marriage between the Queen of Denmark and her husband is still alive and their love has not deminshed over the years. On the contrary, anyone who follow the Regent Couple can determine that the Queen still light up happily like a young girl when she is with her husband. But you also sense that she is always trying to protect him - and sometimes is on her guard about what he might come up with saying. It is like the Queen is always watching his back/shielding him. There is no doubt that the public storm that has hit Prince Henrik with a hurricane strength in the latter years has hurt the Queen. (*)

Prince Henrik has in later years spend more and more time on his French chateau and the other day the author, John Lindskog, revealed in a new book that Prince Henrik has plans about returning permanently back to France next year.

I believe that wish to be true. If you look at Prince Henrik's calendar for the past six months, you can see a pattern and determine that there are very few days where he lives with his wife in Denmark.

Will the move to France be permanent? It will in that case be a significant step, which will put the Queen in an emotionally difficult situation. Despite that I believe that she will never abandon her task as the Queen of Denmark. She is born to that and destiny oblige. No matter what.

Annemette Krakau, editor in chief.

(*) As in not liking it. But the problem is that people genuinely don't understand what his problem about being number two or three or a king is. And when he say something about it, the verdict is clear: crybaby!

- A part of me say: Yeah okay, you are 75, you've deserved to retire and relax the rest of your life.

Another part of me want to slap him hard in the back of his head and say: You egocentric spoiled brat! Grow up! You're letting your wife down. You are letting your son down. You are certainly not making things easier for them. Then bloody go to France and stay there, so we won't have to see you sulking all the time!

What is the matter with that man? What more does he want from life? He has a place in history, he can hardly go higher up in rank than now, he has met all sorts of interesting people. How much further can you go?

You chose this life. Your wife and son didn't. Help them, support them. - As a father and a husband I'm not impressed.

ADDED: Okay, the outburst above is perhaps a bit harsh, but I actually mean it. It really annoys me, because so many other people have much more serious problems on their hands and this is trivial in comparison.

The interesting thing is that had the late Queen Ingrid still been around, this wouldn't have happened. No sulking, no unofficial retirement to France. She is rumoured to have dressed him down on more than occassion, and being the admittedly oldfashioned man he is, it would have been unthinkable for him to defy the matron of the family.

Another interesting thing is that Prince Henrik's more or less complete retirement will mean that Mary and Frederik will be the de facto regent couple sooner rather than later. And then the question about Queen Margrethe retiring too will inevitable pop up more and more often as well.

Okay, it's not tradition in DK for the Monarch to retire, but is it time to start a new tradition? People live longer, are healthier and active longer than for just two generations ago. Would it really be such a bad idea for Danish monarchs to abdicate and retire at say 70 or so? That would mean 30-40 years for Frederik and time enough for Christian to grow up and starting his own family.

And keep in mind that children born in these years can very well expect to live past 100. So Christian's son/daughter may very well be in his/her 70's before Christian dies.

Thank you for the above Muhler. I suppose you have to look at both sides of the coin. Yes, he is selfish if he wants to move to France and give up spending valuable time with his grandchildren. They are at such an adorable age now where they need grandparents in their lives to make memories for when they are older. I think of Fred and Joachim how young they were when their granddad, the King, died.

Yes, he is selfish if he is thinking of himself wanting to travel knowing full well that his wife will not abdicate and she will need him by her side and especially if he plans to live in France and she has to spend time in Denmark because of duty. On the other side he might feel he still has a few years in his life that he could do things he has wanted to do but could never because of his position. He still has good health, energy and his full faculties to see the world but then he should have thought of his duty when he married the Queen. It seems as if it's a case of the older he gets he wants to have his cake and eat it.

Just a quick question: For Joachim to be regent must the Queen and Fred be out of the country or can he still be regent when they are taking a break from their duties and are in the country? Hope the question makes sense.

There is nothing constitutional to hinder Joachim in being appointed regent while both Queen Margrethe and Frederik is in the country. He will have to sign a document saying that he is regent and that will be it.

It would be most unusual however! Queen Margrethe will basically only be relieved if she is in some way unable to function as regent. Apart from that she is regent, no matter what, when she is on Danish soil. The Queen is never on holiday from her duties as a Monarch when she is on Danish soil.

And if the Queen is unable to function as monarch, the next in line will automatically step in, and that's Frederik.

So for Joachim to become a regent in that situation, two criterias must be fulfilled:

A) The Queen is unable to function as a monarch.

B) Frederik has barricaded himself inside a barrel in the cellar of Kronborg and refuses to come out. Despite Mary, the PM, the chairman of the parliament, the chief justice of the Supreme Court and seven psycologist pleading him to come out.

In that case Joachim will be requested to sign a document making him a temporary regent until the situation has been resolved.

Apart from that I cannot imagine a situation off hand where Joachim will function as a regent, while QMII and Frederik are both on Danish soil.

Good question Stella. Just a quick fine tuning of your question, as Joachim is technically never regent in the true sense. :)

Crown Prince Frederik is Regent in the absence of his mother the Queen.

When Prince Joachim or Princess Benedikte take their turn in the absence of the Queen and the Crown Prince their position is called rigsforstander (someone who stands in place of the ruler). I'm not sure what the difference is in theoretical terms. Maybe Regent actually becomes Head of State with all the responsibilities that involves, whereas rigsforstander simply stands in for the head.

I've been wanting to look into this aspect of Frederik's role for awhile, and never find time. I'd be interested in information anyone can offer.

EDIT:

I see that Muhler has answered, taking this into account :SmilieHappy:

Good question Stella. Just a quick fine tuning of your question, as Joachim is technically never regent in the true sense. :SmilieHappy:

Crown Prince Frederik is Regent in the absence of his mother the Queen.

When Prince Joachim or Princess Benedikte take their turn in the absence of the Queen and the Crown Prince their position is called rigsforstander (someone who stands in place of the ruler). I'm not sure what the difference is in theoretical terms. Maybe Regent actually becomes Head of State with all the responsibilities that involves, whereas rigsforstander simply stands in for the head.

I've been wanting to look into this aspect of Frederik's role for awhile, and never find time. I'd be interested in information anyone can offer.

That's correct Gudinde, but in order to avoid explaining what the difference is between a regent (the constitutional second-in-command, because the Crown Prince is aknowledged as the next heir to the throne) and a rigsforstander (a person who is appointed to act in place of the monarch and the regent) I use the word regent.

ADDED: Okay, let's explain the difference between a regent and a rigsforstander.

We have the monarch (also called the regent, to confuse things), who is the constitutionally head of state.

Frederik was able to act as regent when he turned eighteen and after he signed a document pledging him to obey the Danish Constitution. From that day he was able to act as regent, in place of his mother. And he is called Regent because he is the, by law aknowleged, heir to the throne.

Everybody else, Joachim, Benedikte, and in theory Mary or me are called a Rigsforstander. I.e. a person who is appointed to act on behalf of the monarch AND the crown prince.

That system is automatic and has been so since the introduction of absolutism in the later half of the 1600's and later confirmed by the first Constitution of 1849.

Before then the crown prince had to be "hyldet" = paid homage to and aknowledged as the heir to the throne, by Assemblies of the Esates of the Realm, before he could act as a regent for the king.

B) Frederik has barricaded himself inside a barrel in the cellar of Kronborg and refuses to come out. Despite Mary, the PM, the chairman of the parliament, the chief justice of the Supreme Court and seven psycologist pleading him to come out.

In that case Joachim will be requested to sign a document making him a temporary regent until the situation has been resolved.

:SmilieHappy::)

Yes Gudinde. My question was in response to the info I read either in a quote from a Danish mag/newspaper or on one of the message boards ( can't remember which) about F&M taking a few days break and that Joachim was acting regent from 20 - 25 Oct. which made me think that the Queen had to be out of the country or unavailable too. Perhaps in my earlier post I should have used the word 'acting regent.'

Anyway, thank you to you and Muhler for answering my question. Much appreciated.

Yes Gudinde. My question was in response to the info I read either in a quote from a Danish mag/newspaper or on one of the message boards ( can't remember which) about F&M taking a few days break and that Joachim was acting regent from 20 - 25 Oct. which made me think that the Queen had to be out of the country or unavailable too. Perhaps in my earlier post I should have used the word 'acting regent.'

Anyway, thank you to you and Muhler for answering my question. Much appreciated.

Apart from that I cannot imagine a situation off hand where Joachim will function as a regent, while QMII and Frederik are both on Danish soil.

Which means that both Queen Margrethe and CP Frederik (and CP Mary?) were out of the country from Oct 20-25...I wonder where they went? Maybe this week's issue of Billed Bladet will tell us! :SmilieHappy:

Another piece of official minutiae about the regency.

There actually are two different documents the monarch signs. One is specifically for the heir to make him/her regent. And, there is another one for the rigsforstander. They are worded differently.

There is a Danish government site online where you can view the actual documents. I had it bookmarked on my old laptop, which burned up, and I haven't had the chance to go through my back-up discs to look for it.

Perhaps in my earlier post I should have used the word 'acting regent.'
No, not at all :SmilieHappy: I didn't intend to sound as if I was correcting you. Just taking the opportunity to bring up a subject I wanted to explore, as you conveniently raised the topic.

Oh yes, Leonie I remember you bringing this up awhile ago. Looking forward to more details when you have them.

Henrik really needs a good slap. what a spoiled brat he is. I bet he has more hissy fits than the grandchildren could ever have. ugh, I can't stand him.

No worries Gudinde me darlink. As for Henrik's tantrums, I wonder if they have not been blown out of proportion by the media. Surely he knew from the start of his courtship with the Queen that he would never be a King and that he would always have to be a step behind her and any or all who are in line to the throne.

Archived