Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik - Part 8

KUKS 40. year´s Jubilee 7.May 2010 was celebrated with very many members and Ambassadors at Restaurant SAGA QUEEN sailing in Copenhagen Harbour serving great food and cosy atmosphere .

http://www.imagine.photositepro.com/main.p...iewImage=347453

HQ photos from this event:

http://international-club-copenhagen.blogs...y-2010-was.html

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone seen QM around since her fall? Just wondering if she injured herself hence the reason for Fred cancelling the sailing event later this week. Don't know if this is the right thread for my comment/question. (Moderators please move if not.)

Queen Margrethe visited the military training grounds at Oksbøl in Jutland today 18. May.

http://forsvaret.dk/HOK/Nyt%20og%20Presse/...bes%C3%B8g.aspx

Arriving by helicopter, she witnessed a staff excersize, before beind driven to to Brikby = Brick Town, where a unit from the Royal Life Guard Regiment, who will be deployed to Afghanistan later trained in fighting in build up areas.

Here are some HQ pics: http://haeren.smugmug.com/Nyheder/Dronning...871077900_JAmTV

The visit is of course in many ways relevant because of the documentary Armadillo, showing Danish soldiers fighting and dealing with the immediate after effects of combat and having killed Talibans.

That documentary has recently been shown in Cannes and you can expect to hear more about it. I believe it's worth watching.

Because surprise, surprise, the soldiers do not drink herb tea while sitting in a circle singing Kumbayah and talking about realising their inner self. - As some armchair opinion makers and politicians apparantly would prefer. :smilie_flagge14:

Oh dear, they actually shoot and kill people! :yes-1:

Veterans and the army has stated that the documentary is correct and provide a realistic portrait of life in the frontline - while at the same time cynically doubt few outside their own circles will really be able to understand.

Same here... First they send them there and then they are astonished if they get killed or have to kill people...

Same here... First they send them there and then they are astonished if they get killed or have to kill people...

Yes, the hypocracy is sometimes blatant.

Here are a couple of reviews: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100517/film_n...ilm_armadillo_1

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117942790...content=Twitter

And a trailer: http://www.armadillothemovie.com/armadillo/TRAILER.html

It's a documentary that is worth watching for those who wonder what their sons, daughters, husbands, brothers, friends are doing in Afghanistan. - And for the exact same reason you should perhaps not watch it.

There are two controversial episodes, (controversial for those who sit in safety and have time to reflect and who have not been shot at), in the movie. The first in combat. The head of Danish Red Cross has among others stated that he see no wrong doings. Red Cross, if any, know how things can be in real life.

The second involves way the soldiers cheered and reacted afterwards: Basic psycology.

And Margrethe has been busy.

http://forsvaret.dk/FTK/Nyt%20og%20Presse/...ationKarup.aspx

After visiting the army at Oksbøl (see previous post) she went on to air base Karup in north central Jutland. Here she wittnessed a demonstration in tactical airsupply. To be used when supplying forward bases in Afghanistan, if the situation is hot or as a part of a relief operation.

The Old but very reliable Hercules transports have recently been upgraded and are busy all over the place. I.e. flying supplies to Afghanistan or Kosovo or operating in Greenland. Now also, in close corporation with the Canadian airforce, operating over Canada.

On the way back with helicopter to Fredenborg she made a stop at Sjællands Odde. (*) Where the navy, in the shape of the general-purpose command ship, Esbern Snarre, demonstrated how they apprehend pirates.

http://forsvaret.dk/SOK/Nyt%20og%20Presse/...rsteparket.aspx

The pirates were in the shape of a Marine Home Guard vessel.

QMII, is as Monarch, the commander in chief of the Danish armed forces. The monarch is the only full general and admiral in Denmark. (**) The reason is of course that no one should equal the monarch in rank and or seniority.

(*) The western most tip of the island of Zealand. The place mostly consists of summer cottages and birds, who are pretty noicy at this time of year (horny b...ds) :P

The area got some attention in the 80's when a frigate, Peder Scram, had a misfire. One of her surface to surface missiles went off. Flew over Sjællands Odde, detonated and demolished a summer cottage. Fortunately no one was injured.

Pranksters later on painted the silhoutte of a summer cottage on the missile launcher. :D

(**) Prince Henrik is also a full admiral and general. But he is general/admiral a la suite, meaning that he holds no command. Basically an honorary title.

I'm not sure this is the best place to put this, but I just finished reading [in English] a book written by Anne Wolden-Raethinge called "Queen in Denmark, Margrethe II Talks about Her Life", which was published in 1989. Based on "many long interviews". It was fascinating. What a thoughtful and charming woman!!

• 2 weeks later...

And Margrethe has been busy.

http://forsvaret.dk/FTK/Nyt%20og%20Presse/...ationKarup.aspx

After visiting the army at Oksbøl (see previous post) she went on to air base Karup in north central Jutland. Here she wittnessed a demonstration in tactical airsupply. To be used when supplying forward bases in Afghanistan, if the situation is hot or as a part of a relief operation.

The Old but very reliable Hercules transports have recently been upgraded and are busy all over the place. I.e. flying supplies to Afghanistan or Kosovo or operating in Greenland. Now also, in close corporation with the Canadian airforce, operating over Canada.

On the way back with helicopter to Fredenborg she made a stop at Sjællands Odde. (*) Where the navy, in the shape of the general-purpose command ship, Esbern Snarre, demonstrated how they apprehend pirates.

http://forsvaret.dk/SOK/Nyt%20og%20Presse/...rsteparket.aspx

The pirates were in the shape of a Marine Home Guard vessel.

QMII, is as Monarch, the commander in chief of the Danish armed forces. The monarch is the only full general and admiral in Denmark. (**) The reason is of course that no one should equal the monarch in rank and or seniority.

(*) The western most tip of the island of Zealand. The place mostly consists of summer cottages and birds, who are pretty noicy at this time of year (horny b...ds) :P

The area got some attention in the 80's when a frigate, Peder Scram, had a misfire. One of her surface to surface missiles went off. Flew over Sjællands Odde, detonated and demolished a summer cottage. Fortunately no one was injured.

Pranksters later on painted the silhoutte of a summer cottage on the missile launcher. :D

(**) Prince Henrik is also a full admiral and general. But he is general/admiral a la suite, meaning that he holds no command. Basically an honorary title.

Reading Muhler's post reminds me that the cooperation between Canadian and Danish forces is not just limited to air support. Danish soldiers trained in Arctic conditions on Greenland flew to Yellowknife NWT to liaise with Inuit Rangers and other Canadian forces personnel in April. The Danish use of dogs caused much interest as in the Canadian Arctic we make more use of snowmobiles. The Danish pointed out that dogs are cheaper and use less fuel :hatoff: The Canadian government is apparently considering a changeover. The tall blonde and handsome Danish soldiers also provoked much comment among the female Arctic population! I attach an article which members may find illuminating. :clap:

http://www.nunatsiaqonline.ca/stories/arti...feet_at_a_time/

Reading Muhler's post reminds me that the cooperation between Canadian and Danish forces is not just limited to air support. Danish soldiers trained in Arctic conditions on Greenland flew to Yellowknife NWT to liaise with Inuit Rangers and other Canadian forces personnel in April. The Danish use of dogs caused much interest as in the Canadian Arctic we make more use of snowmobiles. The Danish pointed out that dogs are cheaper and use less fuel :) The Canadian government is apparently considering a changeover. The tall blonde and handsome Danish soldiers also provoked much comment among the female Arctic population! I attach an article which members may find illuminating. :thumbsup:

Thanks Caroline07.

Oh no, they are cooporating in all sorts of manners.

It's only recently Canada has begun to really step up it's military precense in the far arctic regions. The Danish military precense in Greenland has been relatively substantial for several decades.

- The bid for the North Pole is on. And not least the control for the North-West Passage.

A lot of things will be going on in the high north during the next couple of decades.

May I recommend this link: http://www.casr.ca/index.htm

The female Arctic population may have been of interest as well! Since the Sirius Patrol members spend two years at a time in North Eastern Greenland and there are hardly any female humans around at all during that time.

The novellist, Jørn Riel, who wrote many yarns about the trappers in North East Greenland, told about a remedy, once the juices started to overflow: Drop your pants (only works during the summer months, otherwise wait..) and start chasing the sun. After a few hours running you should be cooled down enough to last a few months more....

He also told about an imaginary girl, called Emma, who was living with the trappers in turn. The trappers having all sorts of fantasies with and about this non-existant girl and when they were fed up with her, they just sold the rights to fantasizing about her to another trapper...

Yes, you have plenty of time in the far north! :P

Reading Muhler's post reminds me that the cooperation between Canadian and Danish forces is not just limited to air support. Danish soldiers trained in Arctic conditions on Greenland flew to Yellowknife NWT to liaise with Inuit Rangers and other Canadian forces personnel in April. The Danish use of dogs caused much interest as in the Canadian Arctic we make more use of snowmobiles. The Danish pointed out that dogs are cheaper and use less fuel :) The Canadian government is apparently considering a changeover. The tall blonde and handsome Danish soldiers also provoked much comment among the female Arctic population! I attach an article which members may find illuminating. :thumbsup:

Thanks Caroline07.

Oh no, they are cooporating in all sorts of manners.

It's only recently Canada has begun to really step up it's military precense in the far arctic regions. The Danish military precense in Greenland has been relatively substantial for several decades.

- The bid for the North Pole is on. And not least the control for the North-West Passage.

A lot of things will be going on in the high north during the next couple of decades.

May I recommend this link: http://www.casr.ca/index.htm

The female Arctic population may have been of interest as well! Since the Sirius Patrol members spend two years at a time in North Eastern Greenland and there are hardly any female humans around at all during that time.

The novellist, Jørn Riel, who wrote many yarns about the trappers in North East Greenland, told about a remedy, once the juices started to overflow: Drop your pants (only works during the summer months, otherwise wait..) and start chasing the sun. After a few hours running you should be cooled down enough to last a few months more....

He also told about an imaginary girl, called Emma, who was living with the trappers in turn. The trappers having all sorts of fantasies with and about this non-existant girl and when they were fed up with her, they just sold the rights to fantasizing about her to another trapper...

Yes, you have plenty of time in the far north! :P

Thanks for the link! we also have many stories about the Far North although not many repeatable here because they are in Inuktitut. However, you might appreciate our Yukon poet Robert Service's view of the North during the era of the Gold Rush:

The Ballad of Sam McGee

There are strange things done in the midnight sun

By the men who moil for gold;

The Arctic trails have their secret tales

That would make your blood run cold;

The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,

But the queerest they ever did see

Was that night on the marge of Lac LeBarge

I cremated Sam McGee.

Now Sam McGee was from Tennessee, where the cotton blooms and blows.

Why he left his home in the South to roam 'round the pole, God only knows.

He was always cold, but the land of gold seemed to hold him like a spell;

Though he'd often say in his homely way that "he'd sooner live in hell."

On a Christmas Day we were mushing our way over the Dawson trail.

Talk of your cold! through the parka's fold it stabbed like a driven nail.

If our eyes we'd close, then the lashes froze till sometimes we couldn't see;

It wasn't much fun, but the only one to whimper was Sam McGee.

And that very night, as we lay packed tight in our robes beneath the snow,

And the dogs were fed, and the stars o'erhead were dancing heel and toe,

He turned to me, and "Cap," says he, "I'll cash in this trip, I guess;

And if I do, I'm asking that you won't refuse my last request."

Well, he seemed so low that I couldn't say no; then he says with a sort of moan:

"It's the cursed cold, and it's got right hold til I'm chilled clean through to the bone.

Yet 'tain't being dead - it's my awful dread of the icy grave that pains;

So I want you to swear that, foul or fair, you'll cremate my last remains."

A pal's last need is a thing to heed, so I swore I would not fail;

And we started on at the streak of dawn, but God! he looked ghastly pale.

He crouched on the sleigh, and he raved all day of his home in Tennessee;

And before nightfall a corpse was all that was left of Sam McGee.

There wasn't a breath in that land of death, and I hurried, horror-driven,

With a corpse half hid that I couldn't get rid, because of a promise given;

It was lashed to the sleigh, and it seemed to say: "You may tax your brawn and brains,

But you promised true, and it's up to you to cremate these last remains."

Now a promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code.

In the days to come, though my lips were dumb, in my heart how I cursed that load.

In the long, long night, by the lone firelight, while the huskies, round in a ring,

Howled out their woes to the homeless snows - O God! how I loathed the thing.

And every day that quiet clay seemed to heavy and heavier grow;

And on I went, though the dogs were spent, and the grub was getting low;

The trail was bad, and I felt half mad, but I swore I would not give in;

And I'd often sing to the hateful thing, and it hearkened with a grin.

Til I came to the marge of Lac LeBarge, and a derelict there lay;

It was jammed in the ice, but I saw in a trice it was called the 'Alice May.'

And I looked at it, and I thought a bit, and I looked at my frozen chum;

Then, "Here," said I, with a sudden cry, "is my cre-ma-tor-eum."

Some planks I tore from the cabin floor, and I lit the boiler fire;

Some coal I found that was lying around, and I heaped the fuel higher;

The flames just soared, and the furnace roared - such a blaze you seldom see;

And I burrowed a hole in the glowing coal, and I stuffed in Sam McGee.

Then I made a hike, for I didn't like to hear him sizzle so;

And the heavens scowled, and the huskies howled, and the wind began to blow;

It was icy cold, but the hot sweat rolled down my cheeks, and I don't know why;

And the greasy smoke in an inky cloak went streaking down the sky.

I do not know how long in the snow I wrestled with grisly fear;

But the stars came out and they danced about ere again I ventured near;

I was sick with dread, but I bravely said: "I'll just take a peep inside.

I guess he's cooked, and it's time I looked;"... then the door I opened wide.

And there sat Sam, looking calm and cool, in the heart of the furnace roar;

And he wore a smile you could see a mile, and he said: "Please close that door!

It's warm in here, but I greatly fear you'll let in the cold and storm--

Since I left Plumtree, down in Tennessee, it's the first time I've been warm."

There are strange things done in the midnight sun

By the men who moil for gold;

The Arctic trails have their secret tales

That would make your blood run cold;

The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,

But the queerest they ever did see

Was that night on the marge of Lac LeBarge

I cremated Sam McGee.

- Robert Service, 1907

:P

Of interest perhaps to Caroline07 ;) and other Canadian members, here is an article http://forsvaret.dk/FKO/Nyt%20og%20Presse/...jdeiArktis.aspx

About the Danish defence chief, lieutenant general (shortened to general in the article for convenience) Bartels and his Canadian counterpart, general Natynczyk, having signed an agreement about increased security cooporation in the artic between the armed forced of our two countries.

There is another article about an air force excerzise from Cold Lake in Canada, where only the Danish Hercules participating was able to take off, due to the weather.

The Danish Hercules have a lot of practice from Greenland in flying in bad weather, where they incidentally routinely land and and take off from ice or gravel during the summer months.

The joint excersize between the Danish Sirius Patrol (remember Frederik's ride?) and the Canadian Rangers appears to have been a big success.

And while we are at the cooporation, the Danish military has decided to adopt a Canadian produced assault rifle, based on experience in Afghanistan. - As a replacement of, you guessed it, another Canadian produced rifle.

Here is a gallery from Aarhus Stiftstidende covering Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik's visit to Ã…rhus. Where they among other things were cheered on a ride through the city.

That traditional ride is much longer than in Copenhagen, because Ã…rhus being the second largest city in DK, will not be second to Copenhagen. :frazzled:

Poor QMII and PH, I guess their arms must have been close to falling off by the end of that ride.

http://stiften.dk/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Av...9994&Ref=PH

The events of that day are incidentally well covered in the regional news on TV2.

ADDED: And the paper has compiled a seven minute video here: http://stiften.dk/article/20100606/AAS/100609766/1021

Here is a funny little story from the paper Jydske Vestkysten http://www.jv.dk/artikel/893560:Haderslev-...n?image=0#image

With gallery.

Imagine this:

Queen Margrethe was in Kolding in Southern Jutland and Saturday she had decided to visit an airshow at airbase Skrydstrup, also in Southern Jutland. - No problem, Your Majesty, the airforce will pick you up Sunday morning and fly you to the airbase.

Okay, it was agreed to pick her up in the morning from a field.

Morning. An EH-101 (they appear to be flying now, that is, those we still have in DK. The rest have been lended out to the British, who use them in Afghanistan) is flying in.

- There is a field!

- Which one? There are loads of fields down there!

- You see any Queen down there?

- Nope. - It's probably that field.

- Yep, let's land.

And so they did. At the outskirts of the village Årøsund. Completely freaking a cow, which in panic broke out from the fence.

Hmm, no Queen around it appears. But a lot of natives who are by now milling out to what is going on. (See gallery).

- Let's ask one of the more intelligent looking and see if they have seen the Queen.

- Hello, can you tell us where Queen Margrethe is? Now there's a good chap.

- Margrethe?!? She's in Kolding. This is Årøsund. Nowhere near Kolding!

- Oh.... Awfully old chap. Sorry to have disturbed your breakfast and all that. Take care.

And off they went and this time they actually managed to find the field and just as importantly the Queen. And as far as I know they also managed to locate Skrydstrup airbase.

Which was just as well, because the weather was great Sunday and the traffic around Skrydstrup broke down completely. More than 100.000 wanted to see the airshow.

Oh well, I guess that sort of things can happen. I can just imagine the jokes the poor crew will have to endure. :)

ADDED:

ADDED: Okay, as it turns out QMII was actually outside Årøsund at a caravan site, where it had been agreed to pick her up.

In the morning Dannebrog had sailed down the coast and a barge sailed her into Årøsund marina and from there she drove to the pick up site.

- That is, there were problems with the car, so a somewhat accident prone morning all in all. A local policeofficer fixed it. That was a first for him.

http://www.jv.dk/artikel/893624:Haderslev-...-koks-i-Krone-1

So the poor pilots are somewhat excused. Still a funny story though.

Here is a funny little story from the paper Jydske Vestkysten http://www.jv.dk/artikel/893560:Haderslev-...n?image=0#image

With gallery.

Imagine this:

Queen Margrethe was in Kolding in Southern Jutland and Saturday she had decided to visit an airshow at airbase Skrydstrup, also in Southern Jutland. - No problem, Your Majesty, the airforce will pick you up Sunday morning and fly you to the airbase.

Okay, it was agreed to pick her up in the morning from a field.

Morning. An EH-101 (they appear to be flying now, that is, those we still have in DK. The rest have been lended out to the British, who use them in Afghanistan) is flying in.

- There is a field!

- Which one? There are loads of fields down there!

- You see any Queen down there?

- Nope. - It's probably that field.

- Yep, let's land.

And so they did. At the outskirts of the village Årøsund. Completely freaking a cow, which in panic broke out from the fence.

Hmm, no Queen around it appears. But a lot of natives who are by now milling out to what is going on. (See gallery).

- Let's ask one of the more intelligent looking and see if they have seen the Queen.

- Hello, can you tell us where Queen Margrethe is? Now there's a good chap.

- Margrethe?!? She's in Kolding. This is Årøsund. Nowhere near Kolding!

- Oh.... Awfully old chap. Sorry to have disturbed your breakfast and all that. Take care.

And off they went and this time they actually managed to find the field and just as importantly the Queen. And as far as I know they also managed to locate Skrydstrup airbase.

Which was just as well, because the weather was great Sunday and the traffic around Skrydstrup broke down completely. More than 100.000 wanted to see the airshow.

Oh well, I guess that sort of things can happen. I can just imagine the jokes the poor crew will have to endure. :bow2:

ADDED:

ADDED: Okay, as it turns out QMII was actually outside Årøsund at a caravan site, where it had been agreed to pick her up.

In the morning Dannebrog had sailed down the coast and a barge sailed her into Årøsund marina and from there she drove to the pick up site.

- That is, there were problems with the car, so a somewhat accident prone morning all in all. A local policeofficer fixed it. That was a first for him.

http://www.jv.dk/artikel/893624:Haderslev-...-koks-i-Krone-1

So the poor pilots are somewhat excused. Still a funny story though.

Indeed a funny story as the military are usually super organized and well prepared! :) In this particular case, however, the imagination can run wild with all sorts of queen spotting technology, from golden telescopes to magical crystal balls! I wonder what the Danish military with the help of HC Anderson and Muhler could come up with! :bow2:

Indeed a funny story as the military are usually super organized and well prepared! :rose: In this particular case, however, the imagination can run wild with all sorts of queen spotting technology, from golden telescopes to magical crystal balls! I wonder what the Danish military with the help of HC Anderson and Muhler could come up with! :fan:

Quite. :fan:

Still, this would never have happened had they had The Stig aka Joachim as pilot.

True. Joachim is the Stig, they say so at the grocer's. But it's a secret so don't tell anyone.... :no2:

Indeed a funny story as the military are usually super organized and well prepared! :rose: In this particular case, however, the imagination can run wild with all sorts of queen spotting technology, from golden telescopes to magical crystal balls! I wonder what the Danish military with the help of HC Anderson and Muhler could come up with! :fan:

Still, this would never have happened had they had The Stig aka Joachim as pilot.

True. Joachim is the Stig, they say so at the grocer's. But it's a secret so don't tell anyone.... :no2:

I´m a dane and don´t know who "The Stig" is... Please tell :)

I´m a dane and don´t know who "The Stig" is... Please tell :)

You never watch Top Gear on 3+? That's a pity. You should, it's very entertaining and I understand that one of the hosts, Richard Hammond has a considerable female following.

The Stig: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_stig

Archived