QM holds State Council Dinner. F&M attend

mls

22. Marts 2017

H.M. Dronningen afholder statsrådsmiddag. Kronprinsparret deltager.

Christian VII's Palæ, Amalienborg, kl. 20.00.

22 March 2017, 8:00 pm

HM The Queen holds State Council Dinner. The Crown Princely Couple participates

Christian VII's palace, Amalienborg.

There seems to be some mixing up of State Councils and State Council dinners:

State Councils are held regularly at Christiansborg Palace, when needed.

This year, two State Councils have already been held and the total yearly amount is 8-10.

Members of the State Council are: Queen Margrethe, the Crown Prince, the pm and government ministers.

State Council dinners are more rare.

The last three dinners were in 2000 (no specific reason), 2003 (engagement of CPF and Mary Donaldson), 2009

(PM Rasmussen leaving for NATO).

There is lots of speculation going on in the Danish press and among royal watchers re this dinner and because of Mary's attendance.

She did attend the last two dinners and we have another "extra" participant tonight, a State Secretary from the PM's office.

Abdication seems to be the favourite but there really doesn't have to be a specific reason to hold this dinner.

http://www.bt.dk/royale/klar-ikke-laest-dronningen-i-overraskende-udtalelse-hun-holder-en-lem-aaben-for

http://nyheder.tv2.dk/politik/2017-03-16-mystik-om-sjaelden-statsraadsmiddag-dronningen-skal-moedes-med-regeringen

A few days ago, at the press conference in connection with the upcoming Belgian State Visit, Queen Margrethe yet again stated that she will not abdicate. 

It's interesting to watch the speculation, but even in case of illness I don't think the queen would abdicate. In that case a more permanent regency for CPF could be put in place. She may gradually pass some of her workload to the Crown Prince as she ages.

1 hour ago, gudinde said:

A few days ago, at the press conference in connection with the upcoming Belgian State Visit, Queen Margrethe yet again stated that she will not abdicate. 

It's interesting to watch the speculation, but even in case of illness I don't think the queen would abdicate. In that case a more permanent regency for CPF could be put in place. She may gradually pass some of her workload to the Crown Prince as she ages.

The court has commented, that it's already been 8 years since the last State Council dinner and they are usually held some 5 years apart.

Again, there doesn't have to be a major reason for it. Yes, something big could be going on but an abdication....

I think Mary is invited as a "courtesy". She is the Crown Princess, and even if she is not a member of the State Council, Queen M can,

as the hostess, invite her if she likes.

Back in 2003 the dress code was white tie, long dresses. I don't think we have any photos at all from the one in 2009.

This time, there is press access during the arrival of the guests, so we might even get a photo or two.

Can someone enlighten me? When Queen Margrethe is "in the country" she is the Queen, the Regent. If she would want to hand over

more duties to the Crown Prince because of illness while not being abroad herself, would they have to sign some sort of "regency" document?

I mean while being the regent herself, can there be another "regent"?

What do you sign? Handing over only part of the duties and how would they be specified? Can you even do that?

When CPF is acting regent (or Princess Benedikte or Prince Joachim rigsforstanders) there is, I believe, a document signed handing over the duties.

In those cases, Queen Margrethe has always been abroad.

I hope someone gets what I mean...;)

I don't know where to search for the relevant legal document. SRMB may be able to help.

There is a legal clause covering the possibility of a Regency if the monarch is seriously ill or mentally incompetent and therefore unable to reign, or co-sign bills into law, etc. 

2 minutes ago, gudinde said:

I don't know where to search for the relevant legal document. SRMB may be able to help.

There is a legal clause covering the possibility of a Regency if the monarch is seriously ill or mentally incompetent and therefore unable to reign. 

I forgot about that but in that case, the Regency would be handed over completely. I guess you can't just hand over parts of it...

I have a difficult time seeing the Queen hand over parts of the duties to the Crown Prince. ;) That she would be in the country and she would let the Crown Prince

handle duties while she would be home painting decoupages...

:D Neither can I.

I imagine it would only be relevant if the Queen became very, very old and feeble, and yes, a full time Regency is probably what would happen. 

It might be possible to share other parts of the workload before that though, such as international travel or summer tours though Denmark - not now, but as she ages.

Someone else may be able to help with more details. I'm just an outlander.

kongehuset.dk:

Statsrådsmiddag

The court denies that there are major announcements to be expected and that this time, it's just a dinner. Banquet.

http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/pressens-oejne-hviler-paa-aftenens-statsraadsmiddag

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=da&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dr.dk%2Fnyheder%2Findland%2Fpressens-oejne-hviler-paa-aftenens-statsraadsmiddag&edit-text=

"Facts about State Councils and the State Council dinner:"

*The State Council is a body consisting of the sovereign, a possible heir apparent of age and all government ministers.

*Between 10-12 State Council meetings over a parliamentary session.

*The meetings take place almost always on Wednesdays, and usually in the Council Room at Christiansborg Palace in Copenhagen.

* If the Queen is abroad, the heir apparent participates.

*At the Council of State meeting the Queen signs, along with a minister the laws passed by Parliament.

*The Government also informs the Queen about new bills that will be put forward to the parliament.

* Typically, there are between 50 and 70 per cases. per meeting.

*The State Council is the most solemn ceremony and not a meeting where decisions are taken.

*Twice a year, the State Council is together little more festive occasions. It happens at the last meeting before Christmas,

which serves cookies and mulled wine, and before summer when the Queen serves coffee and wishes a good summer.

*This evening's State Council dinner is a special festive event.

*A State Council dinner is tried to be held once per. election period, but unforeseen events, government reshuffling mm. may postpone plans.

*Guests tonight are the Queen, the Crown Prince couple, the government, Lord Chamberlain, Michael Ehrenreich,

Cabinet Secretary Henning Fode, Master of Ceremonies Kim Kristensen and the Prime Minister's permanent secretary

Christian Kettel Thomsen.

*A dinner will be served, which typically consists of four dishes."

15 hours ago, mls said:

This was the dress code 2003...I have been writing black tie, sorry about that.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Frey/media/Engagement/EG1a.jpg.html

No, you were not wrong. Tonight's dress code is black tie, long dresses. 

EB has photos of ministers arriving

http://ekstrabladet.dk/flash/kongelige/danskekongelige/ministre-i-det-stiveste-puds-til-mystisk-middag/6585205

DR has as article about the level of formality.

"Smoking jackets" = dinner suits/black tie, orders to be worn on ribbons, not sashes. It is not an evening for partners or plus-one, no tiaras, no dancing (it's a dinner, not a ball).

http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/takt-og-tone-dronning-margrethes-arbejdsmiddag-er-paa-bryllupsniveau

I've just been checking our records. Crown Princess Mary's inclusion on the guest list for this dinner is not unusual, She was included on the guest list in both 2003 and 2009, even though she is not a member of the State Council.

Here's the 2009 listing:

Statsrådsmiddag

Tirsdag 31. marts 2009 kl. 20:00

Kronprinsparret deltager i Statsrådsmiddag i Chr. IXs Palæ, Amalienborg.

State Council banquet

Tuesday 31 March 2009, 8:00pm

The Crown Prince Couple participates in the State Council banquet in Christian IX's palace, Amalienborg.

Archived