Queen Margrethe's Birthdays

At the risk of sounding ignorant, I have to ask about the cheer I've seen/heard the Queen lead from the balcony (including) on many occasions including her recent birthday. It sounds lilke "Wah!" and is repeated a number of times.

Can anyone help me ... I'm American and not familiar w/the Danish language.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe its "hurra" (hurrah).. We simply yell hurra a number of times and the final cheer is called the long one -- Hurraaaaaaa, which could sound like hu - wahhhhh if one doesnt know what is being yelled.. ;) Often the wueen will say "long live denmark" or something like that - or another man will say "long live the queen" and then it is followed by the cheer.Its normal to yell hurra when somebody has a birthday or at other big occassions.. Dont you say/yell hurra?? I thought it was something done in many countries???

It is common all over England and I've discovered it in Canada and America. Usually someone shouts "three cheers!" and then everyone does "Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah!"

I do also think that the Danish one initiated by QMII sounds like "wah" though.

I remember Mary saying in an interview that Danish children saying her name seemed to say Marwe. Is it a pronunciation thing? Perhaps one of the Danish members could help on this one?

:@:

It is the "HURRA" for "Long live Denmark" that the queen is yelling and the crowd is answering.

Normally she yells it 9 times. But this time I only heard 7 "hurras", but I think that it is due to televisions programme that we only heard it 7 times.

Well, CP Frederik yelled "HURRA" 10 times when the queen turned 50 :jumping-smiley-017: :jumping-smiley-017: :jumping-smiley-017:

It may sound like wah to you :crown: but we are yelling hurra.. The first - "hu" is not very strong/pronounced very clearly so it is the second "rra" that you would hear most clearly..and when it is yelled it becomes (hu)rraaaaaa, with stress on the latter - the long a-sound which sound a bit like [ahhh].. and raaaa sounds a bit like wah if you are not a native dane.. Does it make sense at all??

http://www.bt.dk/royalt/artikel:aid=435700:fid=100021708/

In the right side it says videoklip Right under this it says.. Regentparret på fredensborg(in red) - press on that and a video will be shown. It was a few days ago when the Queen and the prince consort moved into their summer residence in Fredensborg - right next to F and M´s home..They were welcomed by the locals of Fredensborg carrying torches and a cheer was made for the Queen.. If you listen carefully you can hear a quiet "hu" before the raaaa or wah :crown:

• 1 year later...

Queen Margrethe celebrates her 68th birthday today.

There will be a balcony appearance at 12 noon at Amalienborg

Then the Queen and Prince Henrik will be at Rosenborg Castle at 2:30pm for it's reopening after renovation.

It's not yet known which members of the family are able to join the Queen on the balcony. The Crown Prince is participating in the Farr 40 World Championship regatta. It's possible his little family is with him, as the official schedule is clear over those days.

Marie Cavallier is likely to be present today with her soon-to-be groom, Prince Joachim, and perhaps his sons.

Today we have a new banner on the Golden Wine skin to celebrate. (Drop down menu for changing skins is on the bottom of the page, on the left.)

Margrethe-balcony.gif

Queen Margrethe's birthdays as a grandmother:

* Amalienborg 2000 - Frederik was in Greenland

* Marselisborg 2001 - Royal guards in red gala, but no royal terrace appearance

* Amalienborg 2002

* Marselisborg 2003

* Amalienborg 2004 - Mary's first official attendance at the Queen birthday

* Amalienborg 2005 - minus F&M, who were in Thailand for the Tsunami memorial with Dk victims' families

* Marselisborg 2006

* Amalienborg 2007

Thank you gudinde for your hard work. And also a big thank you to FrederikIX for all the links. :@: :@: The new banner is lovely with the past and the present -very appropriate for this important event today. Hopefully we have a live video link and some good photos. :@:

And a very Happy 68th Birthday to HM Queen Margrethe II!!! :birthday:

TV 2 dk

BT

Thanks for the news Benedikte :@:

Also thanks to mitchell and FIX for the sssential links,

and mayflower, your intuition is as sharp as ever :D

Mitchell, Benedikte and mayflower, Thanks, it was a pleasure :crown:

Mitchell, The BT article you posted does mention Mary and the children, guessing they will join the Queen today. I don't think the writers know for sure.

:@: Thanks for all the pictures and videos.

I noticed that Felix had grown quite a lot too, I thought it was funny last year when he was just the wrong height! The first balcony scene I saw him in was 2004 ( Mary's first) when he wasn't yet 2 and like Christian last year he was able to look through the laticework. The palace balcony is like the wall that parents write up their children's heights, with the photos of Margrethe's birthday we'll have a pictorial height record of her grandchildren growing up!

• mls locked this topic
  • mls unlocked this topic