When Henrik questioned his role

You know...in this male dominated world...it must be difficult to be a Prince Consort...walking '2 steps' behind your wife from a protocol point of view. Its takes a special man to be able to cope with that role without his ego getting in the way. I wish the future Crown Princesses and future Queens all the luck in the world of finding special men who will become their Prince Consorts!

Prince Philip of England had the same problem (before he matured with great age).

Prince Henrik has once again managed to get himself on the fromntpage of the tabloids in denmark, by complaining about his role as Prince Consort.

In this issue of the French magazine Point de Vue, Prince Henrik complains about his role as number 2 in the DRF.

Q: How do you see your role?

- To serve my wife and not at least my country whithout trying to create the impression that I am pushing myself forward. You must'n puff yourself up læike påfugl.

Q: How does it work out in your opinion?

– Well, I throw myself into the task , but the build-in problem is difficult to explain. The public is only seeing the Queen. In this way, the balance between us is obscure, not privately, but in the eyes of the public, and this is traumatic, naturally.

I would think he is .... ah .... entitled ..... to whine.

Did you see all those medals he had on his jacket/chest at the occasion of King Harald's 70-th birthday celebrations in Oslo. More than his eldest son. So, he must be doing something right, to 'earn' those all .... like whining? :bday:

You know...in this male dominated world...it must be difficult to be a Prince Consort...walking '2 steps' behind your wife from a protocol point of view. Its takes a special man to be able to cope with that role without his ego getting in the way. I wish the future Crown Princesses and future Queens all the luck in the world of finding special men who will become their Prince Consorts!

Prince Philip of England had the same problem (before he matured with great age).

I think it is quiet harsh and unfair to call Henrik immature :blink:

As far as I know, the Original PdV Interview shows a totally different picture of Henrik, that what Danish press made out of it {hammer:

In the original Point de Vue article Henrik was neither complaining nor saying that he wanted to be King. He was just discussing his role as Prince Consort and showing his historical knowledge. Which it seems the journalists of EB are sadly lacking.

This story is a good illustration as to how the media can take an interview and provide their own take or use it to portray whatever image they choose. ( Here is seems to be Henrik is a pathetic whiner who is unhappy with his lot in life.) This then is the message that goes out as, of course fact, note the discussion just on this thread that male consorts lead a difficult life.

Taking what he actually said was that in the past male consorts to regnant Queens were also titled ‘king’ they were known as ‘king consorts’. ( He didn’t say I want to be king) Historical examples and here credit for this information goes to posters Robert and Damian on the Scandinavian board whose historical knowledge is far superior to mine.

The reigning Queens Mary Tudor and Mary Stuart, both had husbands whose titles were ‘King Consorts” In the case of Mary Tudor, the English parliament had to grant her husband Philip of Spain, the title ‘King’ although a point was made that it was to be as ‘king consort’.

19th century examples include Spanish Queen Isabel II ( she was the regnant queen) her husband was King Francisco. Portuguese regnant Queen Maria I’s husband was King Pedro.

The ‘prince consort’ title came along later, Henrik states that it became widely known because of Victoria’s husband Prince Consort Albert. But in actual fact Albert initially refused a British title ( in theory he could have been a ‘king consort’) he wanted to keep his own title Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. It was only after 17 years of marriage that he got the title of Prince Consort.

QEII’s husband at the time of their marriage was created a Duke, and remained one for the first 10 years of their marriage, he wasn’t even a prince until 1957 when his wife created him a Prince of the UK and NI. He refused the title “Prince Consort”.

Also historically the wife of a regnant King was a princess, the fact that many were given the title of queen was a courtesy. This was something else Henrik said in the interview. It’s now become an accepted tradition that the wife of a king has the title ‘queen’ just like the courtesy title of ‘king consort’ is no longer given. There was some discussion when Maxima first married into the DRF that she wouldn’t get the title of “queen” as they had 3 regnant queens and the title of queen was for the regnant queen only, not the courtesy title for the consort. Lately it seems that members of the government are going to go with the courtesy queen title for her.

Henrik gave quite a sensible interview displaying his knowledge of history and the historical background to his role. A tabloid then took that story to twist to fit the picture they want to manufacture of Henrik, a whining buffoon. Lesson here, be highly critical of anything that is written in the media or portrayed in the televised media. Journalists can and do take quotes out of context to write a story to illustrate whatever bias they want.

Thanks sissi for clearing that up and Sternchen too.

I agree, we (I) should have been more critical about that article in the Danish tabloid press.

I stay rebuked :bow: :bow:

regards

santa

No need for apologies :lol: My interest in royals lies in how they make their roles relevant in the 21st century and also the role the media plays. This story was a particularly good example of media manipulation, that's why I thought it was worthwhile writing about. Please don't think I was rebuking anyone.

One of the really good things about this board is the fact that media stories about Mary are actually critically examined. Ridiculous and twisted stories are exposed as examples of creative writing rather than fact which is what the editors are trying to present them as. I think that makes people think somewhat more critically about what they read in the media.

Mary isn't the only royal that this happens to. Years ago during my backpacking days I read British newspaper regularily and even though I wasn't overally interested in royalty at the time was quite struck by the fact that every time I read an article about Diana, the adjective 'caring' was infront of her name. Such as "caring Princess Diana visited...." I was also struck by the emotive language used to describe her and her activities, it made me wonder how much of the public adoration that surrounded her could be attributed by how she was portrayed in the media. ( Future topic for my PhD thesis, I joke that I'll be one of those people that you read about in their 80's who study for a PhD!)

This is also why I'm not overally judgemental of Marie Cavallier, all that we know about her is how the media has chosen to portray her.

Joachim at the time of his marriage breakdown is also a good example of media manipulation. Alexandra was built up by the media as 'the perfect princess' therefore she could not be at fault that the fairytale was broken. People don't divorce in fairytales. So Joachim was the bad guy, and the media was vicious, to the extent of using a picture of him at an official engagement to a brewery holding a beer to illustrate that he was a drunkhard. Tabloid journalism is very simplistic, good guy, or bad guy. Alexandra was good therefore Joachim was bad, whatever the reasons their marriage didn't work out probably had more to do with their realisation that they were better friends than lovers. As it's turned out.

As far as the British royals are concerned I could probably write several thesises just on the media portrayal of Charles. In recent years he has managed to fight back to a certain degree through the internet and his website which has complete copies of his speeches and highlights his activities. Prince Andrew has just launched his website to combat a lot of the negativity about his work too.

Henrik sounds like a very well informed, articulate and thoughtful man. Unfortunately, IMO, these aren't good traits to have in dealing with the media, especially entertainment/royalty press. The more you say, the more that can be distorted and used against you, on the whim of a reporter and his/her editor.

I do think, though, that Henrik is treated MORE unfairly than the other members of the Danish royal family. Every little thing that he says seems to be made into something negative. I can see why he gets frustrated.

all this history shows that Prince Henrik is right when he says in the interview to Point de Vue , that royal must always pay attention to the words which he says so that the words is deformed in the press.

But it's not just that a royal need to pay attention what they say to the media. Readers too need to be far more critical of what they read and question how much of it is accurate and a true representation of what was actually said. Or how much did the journalists or editors twist what was said to fit the image they want to portray. ( Foolish, vain, marriage in crisis, out of control etc) All of these images can be manipulated.

• 4 weeks later...

Prince Henrik (what little I know about the man) seems very warm and friendly.......The media is always claiming he goes off in a snit...(no wonder, no one seems to appreciate him enough). He built up a wine """"hobby""""" into a first class vineyard, and his wines are starting to be known the world over. His sculptures adorn the grounds of the palace, and he always is pictured smiling...nice man....lets give him more coverage.

• 10 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/10/2005 at 9:42 PM, emi said:

Consequently, Prince Henrik retreated to the royal couple's chateau Caix in Cahors, France, to take some time out to think things over. It was here that he gave the unprecedented interview, published February 3 in the daily tabloid B.T., in which he openly expressed his emotions and the frustration he has experienced, not only at the New Year's receptions, but throughout his long career as prince consort.

Bodil Cath, former royal reporter on BT, tells about the interview

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/mind/prins-henrik/bodil-cath-efter-legendarisk-interview-med-prins-henrik-jeg-gik-direkte-i

"Bodil Cath was still completely perplexed as she and the photographer left the Chateau de Cayx:

- When we got back to the hotel, I went straight into the hotel bar and ordered a gin and tonic. And I never drink. When I had drunk it, I ordered one more.
And the photographer who had not been present during the interview, asked what in the world was going on, and I told him that this simply broke all records, she says."

Archived