Mary's Patronages - Part 1

hotdog

Could'nt agree more Mayflower :@:

Why should the Crown Princess stop wearing outfits made by world renound fashion labels? If H.R.H likes an outfit and feels it appropriate, why wouldnt she purchase it?

From what we have already seen, the Crown Pincess is a great promoter for Danish fashion & one cant expect every outfit she wears to be Danish made.

I understand that Mary is a promoter for Danish fashion, and is expected to help introduce Danish designers to a global market but even Donatella Versace wears other names (except for her evening gowns. They are all Versace)

I am sure Her Majesty, the Queen has worn a few items here and there that arent Danish made!

"R2" ^heart^

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I think the patronage responsibilities are a little misunderstood here. She's not running an add campaign for danish clothing labels, and I don't think the fact that shes wearing some danish designs has alot to do with the patronage. She wears what she likes and asking her to do otherwise is unreasonable.

She's required to attend danish fashion events at home and abroad, and in that way creating awareness for an array of danish designers.

if you want a poster girl for your clothing line go pay britney spears alot of money to walk around in your clothes.

Personally I think the patronage responsibilities are a little misunderstood here. She's not running an add campaign for danish clothing labels, and I don't think the fact that shes wearing some danish designs has alot to do with the patronage. She wears what she likes and asking her to do otherwise is unreasonable.

She's required to attend danish fashion events at home and abroad, and in that way creating awareness for an array of danish designers.

if you want a poster girl for your clothing line go pay britney spears alot of money to walk around in your clothes.

Hello Valdemar,

I am not sure if you have been "un-officially" welcomed since you started posting, but I shall say it anyway, Welcome :)

I hope you will enjoy your time here as much as we do, and shall join with us in keeping the "CPMEoDMB" a place of much warmth, kindness and understanding for all members ^thumbsup^

Kind regards,

Ryan

:lol:

Thanks Valdemar!

I was hoping that someone else would also think that the whole excitment about Mary who alledgedly does enough or doesn't do enough for the danish fashion is not only exaggerated but more than anything else the result of a misunderstanding.

I know that I also have labeled her the patron for the danish fashion. It's common at royal boards. :)

Though to my knowledge she is patron of the CIFF. The Copenhagen INTERNATIONAL Fashion Fair. Maybe I'm not able to understand this, though to me a fair is different to the business in general. To me helping the CIFF isn't identical with wearing danish designer clothes. The CIFF will only grow with an international interest in the CIFF and with this the interest in the danish fashion will also grow. I don't see how wearing only or mostly danish design would help the CIFF. Don't know why I allways think about the Frankfurter Buchmesse (Book Fair in Frankfurt). I don't know how it could help this FAIR if a german famous patron for this fair would announce that he reads only or mostly german books. I even think that the responsible people for this fair wouldn't be pleased with such a statement. :blink:

To me the important issue is raising awareness about a fair among the international suppliers and customers and the general public. This will than also help the business in the country that runs the fair.

Hello Valdemar,

I am not sure if you have been "un-officially" welcomed since you started posting, but I shall say it anyway, Welcome :)

I hope you will enjoy your time here as much as we do, and shall join with us in keeping the "CPMEoDMB" a place of much warmth, kindness and understanding for all members ^thumbsup^

Kind regards,

Ryan

Thank you for your kind welcome.

This is probably out of line with the subject of this post, but I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the members of the board for creating an absolute 1.st rate newssource on the DRF. It beats any online publication site when it comes to full coverage, and I really like that pictures are posted directly into the threads.

I wont be posting much since I'm pretty much in agreement with everything that is posted. The friendly atmosphere is soothing (I mean really, I thought I was stuck with hatefactory inc.).

So all I can really say is: Rock ON CPMEoDMB.

Thank you for your kind welcome.

This is probably out of line with the subject of this post, but I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the members of the board for creating an absolute 1.st rate newssource on the DRF. It beats any online publication site when it comes to full coverage, and I really like that pictures are posted directly into the threads.

I wont be posting much since I'm pretty much in agreement with everything that is posted. The friendly atmosphere is soothing (I mean really, I thought I was stuck with hatefactory inc.).

So all I can really say is: Rock ON CPMEoDMB.

On behalf of everyone here, a sincere thanks for your kind words Valdemar.

It means alot to us all, to hear such warm & supportive feedback ^thumbsup^

Ryan

An article from Denmark fashion

A new Danish model: Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Mary

DANSK_CUT_260.jpg

Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Mary has become the patroness of Copenhagen Fashion Week - and an icon of Danish fashion. Now the fashionable Princess also appears as a model herself at the cover of the exclusive Danish design magazine, DANSK, while celebrating the magazine's three-year anniversary.

The special issue of DANSK, DANSK#6, explores Danish fashion. DANSK#6 poses questions such as: What are the current trends of Nordic fashion? What distinguishes the Danish fashion expression? What is the difference between local and global fashion trends? DANSK#6 thus states that fashion is not created in a vacuum, but is increasingly inspired by photography, graphic design, sub cultures and fine arts. Buy DANSK#6 at www.danskmagazine.com.

designersnestvinderfeb05260.jpg

Designers Nest Award winner Magdalena Säfqvist from Beckmans Design School, February 2005. Magdalena Säfqvist was awarded the Designers Nest Award for her futuristic and innovative design. The award, consisting of DKK 25,000 and a prize designed by jewelry designer Jane König, was presented by Designers Nest's patron, H.R.H. Crown Princess Mary.

http://www.denmarkfashion.com/

I've been thinking about this business of Mary wearing Danish designs for a while (in the bath, on the bus, that sort of thing). Anyway, I think that Mary's wearing international AND Danish designs adds credibility to the latter. Mary is rightly developing a reputation for someone who enjoys fashion, and for selecting items from a range of internationally-renouned designers. By wearing Danish designers IN ADDITION to these international designers she gives the Danish designers credibility because she is clearly not wearing these clothes simply because she is Crown Princess and needs to be a cheerleader for Danish industry - she is showing that she wears Danish designs because they are as good as many of the internationally known designers from other countries.

I've been thinking about this business of Mary wearing Danish designs for a while (in the bath, on the bus, that sort of thing).  Anyway, I think that Mary's wearing international AND Danish designs adds credibility to the latter.  Mary is rightly developing a reputation for someone who enjoys fashion, and for selecting items from a range of internationally-renouned designers.  By wearing Danish designers IN ADDITION to these international designers she gives the Danish designers credibility because she is clearly not wearing these clothes simply because she is Crown Princess and needs to be a cheerleader for Danish industry - she is showing that she wears Danish designs because they are as good as many of the internationally known designers from other countries.

Excellent point, angelam. <": You are on to something there. It also fits with the balanced approach Mary seems to take with things in general.

I could be dead wrong about this, but if we could statistically figure out how much Danish design she actually wears, we might be surprised. Taking into consideration, daywear, casual wear, and the evening wear and the Danish designed jewelry she wears. It could actually be she wears way more than 50% Danish design clothes and accessories.

Also, someone made a point in one of the other threads that many of her evening gowns are one of a kind. The purple sari gown being a prime example and Danish made. When you start listing them, most seem to be of Danish origin.

L.

I've posted this in the Mary's Designers tread, but it actually belongs here too.

Many of the Danish designers/tailors do not have a website, and I think we shall bear this in mind when discussing whether or not Mary is wearing Danish designs. Every time we are unable to trace the design it might very well be tailor made by Danish designers. This makes sense to me. It wouldn't be "comme-il-faut" to wear Danish "Pret-a-Porte" which every body in Denmark could go out and buy the next day or at least find out the cost of it.

• 2 weeks later...

The Crown Princess website has just been updated with several new patronages

Forskning og Videnskab:

Forskningens Døgn

Ungdommens Naturvidenskabelige Forening

Humanitær hjælp:

Dansk Flygtningehjælp

Kultur:

Danske Kunsthåndværkere

Det Kongelige Danske Musikkonservatoriums Børnekor

Mode:

Copenhagen International Fashion Fair

Designers Nest

Social- og Sundhedsområdet:

Børnehjælpsdagen

Hjerneskadeforeningen

Hjerteforeningen

Julemærkefonden

Landsforeningen SIND

Nyreforeningen

PsykiatriFonden

Sjældne Diagnoser

Sport:

Dansk Golf Union

Dansk flygtningehjælp = Danish Refugee Council

Nyreforeningen = Kidney Foundation

Børnehjælpsdagen = Childrens Aid Day Foundation

Sjældne Diagnoser = Rare Disorders Denmark

Thanks for noticing Ingrid :@: yes Crown Princess Mary's 7 new patronages came online today -- in some days I think they all will have a special page (red letters) with a link to the organisation in question -- in both languages :P the new additons are and will be put on her online CV -- work in progress...

Crown Princess Mary now has 16 patronages, her husband has 22

2 more honorary memberships were also published today: danish , english

Æresmedlemsskaber

Danmark:

Aabenraa Golfklub

Foreningen til den ædle Hesteavls Fremme

Fredensborg Golf Club

Graasten Rideklub af 2004

Kongelig Dansk Yachtklub

Københavns Golf Klub

Odsherred Golfklub

Udland:

Honorary Hans Christian Andersen Ambassador to Australia

Honorary Life Governor, The Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute

The Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania

Well all the patronages are worthy aren't they?

But the one I like among these new ones is the Danish Refugee Council.

I wish we had a Mary for such an organisation in Australia :P

A pity she knocked back the cricket :P they might have expected a yes since the blokes in her family are into cricket. I don't imagine cricket is a major sport in Denmark (??) --Mary has grown up on the best cricket team in the world!! :P

Lotte :D

Guest Thor

Hi Lotte

Cricket isn't a major sport in Denmark, but it exists: here are a overview of the clubs:

Cricket in Denmark

My old club, Svanholm has just gotten an Australian coach , mr Darren Treumer from Darwin:

http://www.svanholm-c-c.dk/Dokumenter/DARR...L%20DANMARK.htm

Cricket has gotten some highened interest since many Indian and Pakistani descendants chose this sport.

Cheers Thor

Thor,

Thanks for the cricket link.

Where are the crowds watching the games? :P

A cricket match in Australia is huge.

We are in the off season here now (the various footballs are played in winter, cricket in summer).

I see Denmark plays against county cricket teams in England. A few top Aussie players go to England to play county cricket in our off season so there might be a bit of F) + <au>

England has had to import an Australian to coach their test team (that's the top national representative tier in cricket)--it's hard to beat the Aussies, so they need some extra special help :P (inside knowledge :D ).

Lotte :P

Another new Patronage - Rare Disorders Denmark

Article from TV 2dk

Mary protektor for patientgruppe

04-05-05: 16:25

Kronprinsesse Mary er blevet protektor for Sjældne Diagnoser, som er en sam­menslutning af 31 foreninger for fami­lier med sjældne sygdomme og handicap. Foreningerne varetager interesser for de 20-30.000 danskere der lider af en alvorlig, sjælden sygdom. Nogle af disse sygdomme er livstruende, og mange kan ikke behandles.

"Familier med sjældne diagnoser oplev­er ofte, at deres problemer bliver overset, fordi få kender deres sygdom. Det håber jeg, at kronprinsessen kan være med til at lave om på," siger Torben Grønnebæk fra Sjældne Diagnoser

I can tell this forum has a lot of experts for those royal issues, especially related to Mary? I just wonder what patronages mean? And what does she exactly do for those organizations she patrons? Donate money to them? Making "Marketing" campaign plans or What else? Thanks. :) Mary-Manias :)

And also this threads can be a collections for those patronage campaigns in 2005 that Mary is to attend. That will be helpful to show more clearly how she is going to play her roles in this year... ;)

1 Mary-Manias is a negatively loaded expression in my ears <_<

2 How can this question be an event? :huh: General danish royal question imo!

3 The answer is published in danish on the official website:

Protektorens rolle

Når medlemmer af den kongelige familie påtager sig protektioner, betyder det, at de påtager sig at begunstige den relevante forening, institution, sag eller organisation. Dette kan gøres på mange forskellige måder, men generelt gælder det, at den kongelige støtter protektionen ved at være med til at udbrede kendskabet til den enkelte protektion og gennem dette arbejde at inspirere til, at andre mennesker også ønsker at bidrage med støtte på forskellig vis.

Ofte vil protektoren aflægge årlige besøg i protektionen og desuden være til stede ved særlige begivenheder og arrangementer. Afhængigt af protektionens karakter kan der også være tale om hyppig mødeaktivitet.

Tilsagn om kongelig protektion kan variere fra sag til sag, og kan for eksempel være baseret på alment velgørende virksomhed eller eksport-fremme.

Det er i store træk muligt at inddele protektioner i dem, der har tilsagn om livsvarig protektion og dem, der har én-gangs tilsagn. Mange af især de humanitære sammenslutninger har tilsagn om permanent protektion, hvorimod protektion af udstillinger, kongresser eller lignende i reglen kun gives, hvis det pågældende medlem af kongehuset kan være til stede ved åbningen.

If someone would be kind enough to translate that for the board, I am sure it would be appreciated. :)

I just wonder what patronages mean?

Very short: In general it means that the royal supports the patronage by participating in spreading the knowledge of the special patronage -- "generelt gælder det, at den kongelige støtter protektionen ved at være med til at udbrede kendskabet til den enkelte protektion"

1 Mary-Manias is a negatively loaded expression in my ears <_<

2 How can this question be an event? General danish royal question imo :)

3 The answer is published in danish on the official website:

Very short: In general it means that the royal supports the patronage by participating in to spread the knowledge of the special patronage -- "generelt gælder det, at den kongelige støtter protektionen ved at være med til at udbrede kendskabet til den enkelte protektion"

Firstly, sorry for using that word since I didn't know that could bother you. Secondly, official website could be only for information. But here we could have some discussion and suggestions. What do you think, Potter?

Think of patronages as being a goodwill ambassador or public face to an organization to bring awareness. Like Angelina Jolie and Audrey Hepburn did for the UN, Princess Di and Queen Noor for land mines, Dutchess of York for motorneuron disease, Christopher Reeve (superman) did for spinal research, Michael J Fox for parkinsons disease etc.

A patron is a famous person, a person well known and well liked by the public. They are associated and bring attention to the cause. The are more involved with the organization than a photo op. They help raise funds, bring awareness, sometimes on the board of directors and very knowledgeable on the subject.

Archived