Mary's Patronages - Part 1

hotdog

In one year, Mary really did a remarkable work. :D

The number of associations with which Mary work does not cease increasing. :D

Sandy,

You are right. It is a pity that this is not given the respect that it deserves in certain quarters.

"BG" <_<

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not a new patronage - though a new honorary membership!

International Committee of Women Leaders for Mental Health

:wub: Furesø Golf Club is added.

That makes her number of Honorary Memberships reach 12

A new patronage: number 18 : The Danish Cultural Institute

Det Danske Kulturinstitut

Kronprinsessen protektor for Det Danske Kulturinstitut

Det er med stor glæde, at vi kan meddele, at Hendes Kongelige Højhed Kronprinsesse Mary fra d. 22. juni 2005 har påtaget sig hvervet som protektor for Det Danske Kulturinstitut.

• 2 months later...

Now that Mary has almost 20 Patronages, I was wondering if you all had a favorite cause of hers?

I am particullarly impressed with her mental health and heart disease work. I think it is serious and very fullfilling work. And also very personal to Mary which makes her efforts sincere.

The Danish Golf Union

The Danish Golf Union was founded in 1931, when four clubs made the initial arrangements to create a governing body. The main purpose of the Danish Golf Union is to promote golf in all aspects. Through its existence danish golf has experienced a continuous growth rate and today counts more than 150 clubs and 150.000 players. Golf is now the largest sport in Denmark for people over 25 years of age. The Danish Golf Union spends a lot of resources on environmental issues and in attracting more young players to the sport.

www.dgu.org

I would love to see her have a Patronage in the Field of Cancer and especially bowel cancer, because it is often forgotten or looked at as not such a bad form of cancer or not as serious as for example leukemia :lol:

I would love to see her have a Patronage in the Field of Cancer and especially bowel cancer, because it is often forgotten or looked at as not such a bad form of cancer or not as serious as for example leukemia :(

As you know Mary is very involved in the work of the Danish Cancer organisation. She has even got her own weblog on their site.

The Queen is patron of the organisation, but I guess that Mary will take over after her when time comes.

Ingrid

I would love to see her have a Patronage in the Field of Cancer and especially bowel cancer, because it is often forgotten or looked at as not such a bad form of cancer or not as serious as for example leukemia :(

As you know Mary is very involved in the work of the Danish Cancer organisation. She has even got her own weblog on their site.

The Queen is patron of the organisation, but I guess that Mary will take over after her when time comes.

Ingrid

Both Mary and Alexandra are connected to different steering committees within the Danish cancer organisation. I read somewhere(Jyllands Posten I think) that Alexandra is, and has been for some time, in a committee for womens cancer(breast cancer) and Mary is in a couple of committees e.g. skin cancer. It was QMII who have asked both to work for the organisation. Both Mary and Alexandra have weblogs on the cancer website.

Can someone help tro summarize wht this article is about?

Thanks.

http://frederiksvaerk.bynet.dk/index.php?i...aerk&no_cache=1

15. sep. 2005 - 11:56

Kronprinsesse Mary manglede

Det royale besøg på Julemærkehjemmet Kildemose aflyst med kort varsel, da prinsessen blev indlagt

1126778132.jpg

Det blev ikke til prinsessebesøg på Julemærkehjemmet Kildemose denne gang. Men børnene dansede og sang alligevel. Foto: Jan Stephan.

foto:

ØLSTED. “Det er en herlig dag, en ganske særlig dag†sang børnene på Julemærkehjemmet Kildemose i onsdags. Men dagen blev ikke så herlig og særlig, som der var lagt op til.

Kronprinsesse Mary, som er protektor for Julemærkefonden, skulle have besøgt julemærkehjemmet, men blev som bekendt indlagt på Rigshospitalet tirsdag aften med sammentrækninger i livmoderen.

Alt var gjort klar på Kildemose til det royale besøg, da hofdamen en time før besøget ringede med den kedelige nyhed. Blomsterbuketten var bundet, flagene hejst og børnene havde sat håret.

- Børnene har taget det pænt. De blev selvfølgelig kede af det, men de ved jo hun er gravid, så de kunne godt forstå det, fortæller Lene Schou, leder af Kildemose.

- Det første de spurgte om var: “HvornÃ¥r kommer hun sÃ¥?â€. Og der mÃ¥tte jeg skuffe dem og sige, at hun kommer ikke, mens de er her. Børnene er her jo kun i 10 uger.

Selvom hovedpersonen manglede, optrådte børnene alligevel med et dansenummer og en sang for de fremmødte journalister og fotografer, samt for Julemærkefondens formand Sigfred Sørensen og direktør Joan Vestergaard, som også havde taget turen til Ølsted.

Fakta

Julemærkehjemmet Kildemose ligger utroligt flot med udsigt over Roskilde Fjord. Den 3-etagers villa er fra 1912, og siden 1948 har der været julemærkehjem på stedet.

Kildemose har 24 børn ad gangen i alderen 6-12 år, i alt ca. 100 børn på årsbasis.

Foruden daglig skoleundervisning i dansk og matematik står den på masser af motion og sunde madvaner. Vægttab er ikke målet alene, først og fremmest gælder det om at høje børnene sociale kompetencer og selvværd - hvert eneste barn skal opleve daglige små succeser.

Der er fire julemærkehjem i Danmark, som årligt hjælper ca. 700 børn. Sagen finansieres ved julemærkesalg, afholdelse af den årlige Julemærkemarch samt gaver fra private, virksomheder og fonde.

HI Mayflower

The article is describing the dissappointment for the children at the Chrismas Seal Home at Ølsted, who was to be visited by Mary, the day she was hospitalised, or a couple of days after.

Despite their dissappointment, they had a great day, because they execute their schedule anyway, and performed and danced.

Cheers Thor

• 4 weeks later...

Mary's new patronage (from M&F's official website):

The Alannah & Madeline Foundation

The Alannah & Madeline Foundation in Australia provides support for children who are victims of violent crime or sudden family loss, through its Children Ahead Program, as well as runs an anti-bullying initiative for schools, called the Better Buddies Program, in conjunction with the Federal Government’s National Safe School Framework (NSSF), which is also supported by the State and Territory Governments.

The Alannah & Madeline Foundation was established on April 30, 1997 - two days after the anniversary of the Port Arthur tragedy where 33 adults and 2 children lost their lives. Those two children were Alannah and Madeline Mikac and it is for them the Foundation was named. The girls’ father, Walter Mikac and a small group of volunteers, worked hard to set up the Foundation, which was launched by the Prime Minister who also agreed to become its Patron.

The Alannah & Madeline Foundation

From Herald Sun:

Foundation receives royal approval

Jen Kelly

13oct05

DANISH Crown Princess Mary will today be named the international patron of the Alannah and Madeline Foundation.

The announcement is a big coup for the children's charity, formed in Victoria after the 1996 Port Arthur tragedy in Princess Mary's home state, Tasmania.

And Princess Mary hopes to see the foundation's anti-bullying Better Buddies program introduced into Danish schools after its success in Australia.

Foundation chairman John Bertrand, who helped Princess Mary beat husband Crown Prince Frederik in their pre-wedding yacht race, helped secure her involvement. Mr Bertrand said while in Copenhagen for the race, Mary told him she wanted to make a difference in two areas -- with children and the environment.

So he invited Princess Mary to join the group and Prime Minister John Howard, the foundation's national patron, helped secure her involvement.

"Clearly her involvement will raise the profile dramatically throughout Australia . . . which will allow us to make a lot of difference to a lot of kids' lives," Mr Bertrand said.

"Alannah and Madeline at the moment is very much Melbourne/Victoria orientated and this will help us increase the profile around the country."

Princess Mary said she was delighted to accept the position and would strongly support the foundation's work.

"The foundation was established in response to the Port Arthur tragedy that occurred in Tasmania, the place of my own childhood," Princess Mary said.

"I am encouraged by the strength and devotion of those that worked hard to ensure that good could rise out of tragedy.

"The invaluable work of the foundation clearly illustrates that this is possible."

The foundation was started by Walter Mikac, who lost his wife and daughters Alannah and Madeline in the Port Arthur tragedy, and helps children who are victims of sudden family loss or violent crime.

The foundation's Better Buddies program has spread to more than 700 schools around Australia since its launch five years ago.

Older students are paired with younger students, offering friendship and support during fun activities in class time, and outside in the playground. Princess Mary said bullying was "a cruel and senseless act" that could lead to lifelong personal problems for victims and their families.

"It has no place in society and every endeavour should be made to remove it from social behaviour. Children have the right to feel safe in our schools and our community."

Maree Stanley, director of the foundation's Better Buddies branch, said Princess Mary was impressed by the program during a presentation when she visited Australia this year.

"She was thrilled with the idea it could be transferred so easily into (Danish schools)," Ms Stanley said.

Thanks Thor for the quick translation. Really appreciate it. :@: :@: :@:

I noticed that in the article there is a lot of capital "A" with a dash on top which I have never seen before or noticed in Danish articles. I thought it was some new language . :)

Hi Mayflower

You're welcome.

A belated reply.

The strange letters in the articles is some weird and unauthorized digital represntations of the special Danish letters: æ, ø and å (ae, oe, aa).

cheers Thor

Thanks cph for the new addition of Mary's latest patronages. Another excellent choice and international networking. ^thumbsup^

This article from the official website.

http://www.amf.org.au/

PrincessMary.jpg

The Alannah and Madeline Foundation announced today that Her Royal Highness, Crown Princess Mary of Denmark had accepted an invitation to become its International Patron.

In making the announcement, the Foundation said Crown Princess Mary was pleased to accept the invitation in light of the Foundation’s work in helping children who are victims of violence or sudden family loss, as well as with its campaign to eradicate bullying amongst young people.

“I am delighted to accept the position of International Patron of the Foundation and will strongly support its work and endeavours,” she said.

"The Foundation was established in response to the Port Arthur tragedy that occurred in Tasmania, the place of my own childhood. I am encouraged by the strength and devotion of those that worked hard to ensure that 'good' could rise out of tragedy. The invaluable work of the Foundation clearly illustrates that this is possible.

“Children have the right to feel safe in our schools and our community. The work of the Foundation in helping young children who are victims of violence, or bullying is a fine example of helping to realise a better society for everyone.”

Crown Princess Mary said bullying was “a cruel and senseless act” which could lead to life-long personal problems for many of its victims, their families, as well as the perpetrators. “It has no place in society and every endeavour should be made to remove it from social behaviour.”

The Chairman of the Alannah & Madeline Foundation, John Bertrand AM, today was “extremely pleased and grateful” of Crown Princess Mary’s acceptance of patronage.

The Crown Princess of Denmark will join the Prime Minister, John Howard, who is National Patron and the Victorian Premier, Steve Bracks, as the State Patron.

“Her support and presence will enhance our endeavours to build the Foundation and expand its work,” said Mr. Bertrand.

“A child is reported abused, or neglected every two minutes in Australia and one in six children are being bullied in the school playground every week.

“This should not be tolerated and we hope our programs will contribute to overcoming these alarming figures.

“It is a national tragedy that bullying still exists in schools today and the Foundation’s Better Buddies program is one of the nation’s first national initiatives to help overcome this insidious social problem.

“Bullying affects not only the student, but his or her family. It is has an effect on the whole community,” he said.

Mr. Bertrand went on to say that everyone at the Foundation looked forward to working together with Crown Princess Mary and to her involvement in their work.

A little bit info of The Alannah & Madeline Foundation

The Alannah & Madeline Foundation was formed in 1997 in honour of Alannah & Madeline Mikac who lost their lives with 33 others in the Port Arthur tragedy.

The foundation supports children who are victims of violent crime or sudden family loss. AMF provides crisis care for children who have experienced the murder/suicide of their parents or who are victims of physical, sexual or emotional abuse. The Foundation takes care of the little things for these children. Many of these are things we ourselves take for granted such as a warm, clean bed and uniforms and books for school. Sadly a child is reported in Australia abused or neglected every 2 minutes.

The Alannah and Madeline Foundation also delivers an anti-bullying message to schools Australia wide through the “Better Buddies” program. With Buddy Bear as their mascot the program uses the schools existing buddy system to reinforce positive values and related social skills such as respect, cooperation, friendliness, courage, mateship, care and support and acceptance of differences.

The Alannah and Madeline Foundation receives little Government funding with most funding coming from events. The Foundation is working hard to make a difference in the lives of children- but they can’t do it alone.

http://www.bilo.com.au/about_us/amf/amf.htm?ct=6&pg=711

PATRONS / BOARD MEMBERS

Patrons

The Hon John Howard MP. Prime Minister of Australia

The Hon Steve Bracks MP. Premier of Victoria

INTERNATIONAL PATRONS

HRH Crown Princess Mary of Denmark

CHAIRMAN

John Bertrand AM - Chairman, World Wide Entertainment

Chief Executive Officer

Andrew Chappell

Directors and Trustee (*)

Peter Blunden - Editor-in-Chief, The Herald Sun

Chris Bulford - General Manager, Marketing, National Australia Bank

Steve Chiodo - Managing Director, Peter Stevens Importers

John Fawcett - National Managing Director, George Patterson Partners

Terry Hearity - National Sponsorship Manager, Australia Post

John Murphy - Managing Director, Foster’s Australia

Stuart Painter, Partner, Ernst & Young

Paul Waldren - Managing Director & National Sales Director, GTV9

Buddy Bear Limited *(ACN 090 752 800) - Trustee.

Advisory Board - Victoria

John Atkins - Head of Office, Freehills, Melbourne

Tony Beddison AO - Chairman, The SACS Group

Martin Jolly - CEO, IMG Australasia

Eddie McGuire - President, Collingwood Football Club and Media Presenter

Neil Mitchell - Media Presenter, 3AW

Alastair Nicholson AO RFD - Chief Justice (Retired), Family Court of Australia

Christine Nixon APM - Chief Commissioner, Victoria Police

Ross Oakley - Chairman, Oakley Enterprises

Tony Phillips - Consultant

John Shore - CEO Victoria, Ray White Real Estate

John Steven - Partner, Minter Ellison

Ian Thorogood - CEO, Thurra Research and Marketing Solutions

John Wardle - Special Counsel, Corrs Chambers Westgarth

COMMUNITY AMBASSADORS

Gaye Fidler - Director, Aimmco Plastics, Port Arthur Survivor

Walter Mikac - Co-founder of The Alannah and Madeline Foundation ( I think this is the father of the two children Alannah and Madeline. He also lost his wife in the masaacre as well)

Suzie Wilks - Media Personality

http://www.amf.org.au/patrons.cfm

Chairman - John Bertrand AM

John Bertrand’s enormous sporting successes have made him a national household name and inspired many Australians. But while John’s name will forever be synonymous with sailing and the America’s Cup, his recent work with helping underprivileged children has seen him touch many homes on an even more personal level.

John lives in Melbourne with his wife Rasa, with whom he has 3 children.

He obtained a Mechanical Engineering Degree from Monash University in 1969 before completing a Master of Science degree from Boston’s MIT in 1971.

In 1983, John shot to fame, stunning the yachting world by leading the crew of the "Australia II" to a dramatic 7th race victory over America’s Cup defender, "Liberty". This win ended a 132-year domination by the Americans and was perhaps the greatest upset in modern sports history. In the bi-centennial year of 1988 the Confederation of Australian Sport voted this victory as the finest team performance in 200 years of Australian Sport.

In 1984 John was made a member of the Order of Australia. His autobiography, Born to Win, published in 1985, was the largest selling biography in Australian publishing history at the time and is now published in four foreign languages.

John is a World Champion and Olympic medallist, having represented Australia in five America’s Cups and two Olympic Games. In over 25 years of America’s Cup campaigning, he was involved in all areas of activity – from skipper of Australia 2 to Chairman of OneAustralia.

John’s love of sailing continues. He actively competes at the highest level within the International Etchell class and is a life member of both the International America’s Cup Hall of Fame and Sport Australia Hall of Fame, of which he is also a Director.

Together with Herb Elliot and Dawn Fraser, John was a member of the 2000 Australian Olympic team acting as a mentor to the team athletes.

More recently, John Bertrand has become known for his work with hurt and vulnerable children. His strong belief that children are this country’s greatest asset saw him be appointed Chairman of The Alannah & Madeline Foundation in 2001. With Prime Minister John Howard as its Patron, the Foundation supports children who have been victims of violence or experienced the sudden loss of a family member. It is also a world leader in developing anti-bullying programs within Australian schools.

John tirelessly campaigns Australia’s business and community leaders to address the issue of violence against children, as he believes that every child has the right to a happy childhood.

John is a businessman as well as a philanthropist. He is co-owner and Chairman of the television production and distribution company World Wide Entertainment, which exports television shows to 120 countries around the globe.

http://www.amf.org.au/chairman.cfm

BT article about Mary's latest patronage

http://www.bt.dk/royalt/artikel:aid=394440:fid=100300158/

Kronprinsesse Mary protektor for australsk børnefond

305290_large.jpg

Fonden Alannah and Madeline Foundation i Australien har fået sin første internationale protektor, og det er kronprinsesse Mary, skriver australske aviser. Foto: Keld Navntoft

Kronprinsesse Mary bliver international protektor for fond, der blev oprettet efter tragedie i Tasmanien.

Fonden Alannah and Madeline Foundation i Australien har fået sin første internationale protektor, og det er kronprinsesse Mary, skriver australske aviser.

Fondens formål er at støtte børn og andre ofre for vold. Den blev etableret efter tragedien i 1996 i Tasmanien, da en mand pludselig skød...

...omkring sig og dræbte 33 voksne og to børn på et populært turiststed.

Fonden har bl.a. lavet et program, der skal få skolebørn til at behandle hinanden bedre, og det vil prinsessen gerne introducere i danske skoler.

Seksårige Alannah Mikac, hendes treårige søster, Madeline, og hendes mor, Nanette, blev alle dræbt under tragedien, og pigernes far etablerede et år efter massakren Alannah and Madeline Foundation.

Prinsesse Mary, der er opvokset i Tasmanien, siger ifølge The Daily Telegraph, at hun "med glæde" tager imod tilbuddet om at blive protektor.

- Jeg er opmuntret af styrken hos de, der har arbejdet så hårdt på at sikre, at der kunne opstå noget godt af tragedien, siger hun.

/ritzau/

Lagt på www.bt.dk den 13. oktober 2005 kl. 07

From Denmark dk

October 2005

Crown princess named patron for Australian children's foundation

Crown Princess Mary is to be the international patron of a foundation established after a tragedy in Tasmania

21836.JPG   

Kristian Juul Pedersen/Scanpix  

Crown Princess Mary  

An Australian children's foundation, established after the murder of two Tasmanian girls in 1996, has found its first international patron in Crown Princess Mary, Australian media reported on Thursday.

The foundation's aim is to support young victims of violence. It was formed after the tragedy in Crown Princess Mary's home state, Tasmania, where a man suddenly pulled a gun and shot and killed 33 adults and two children in the popular tourist destination of Port Arthur in 1996.

Six-year-old Alannah Mikac, her three-year-old sister Madeline, and their mother, Nanette, were all killed in the attack. The father, Walter Mikac, established the foundation a year later to help children who are victims of sudden family loss or violent crime.

The foundation has created a program called Better Buddies to fight bullying in schools. The program has been introduced in 700 schools around Australia since its launch five years ago, and now the princess wants to bring it to Danish schools.

Princess Mary said she was happy to accept the position.

'I am encouraged by the strength and devotion of those that worked hard to ensure that good could rise out of tragedy,' she said. 'The invaluable work of the foundation clearly illustrates that this is possible.'

The foundation's chairman, John Bertrand, who was a member of Mary's crew when she beat Crown Prince Frederik in a yacht race before their 2004 wedding, encouraged her to become a sponsor.

Bertrand said Mary had told him she wanted to make a difference working with children and for the environment. He suggested that she joined the cause and Prime Minister John Howard, the foundation's national patron, helped to convince her.

Two weeks ago, the crown prince and crown princess handed their new annual charity award to Danish Save the Children, to help the children's rights organisation to launch the Better Buddies program in Denmark.

In the program, older students are paired with younger students to establish friendships and support in class or in the playground.

Daily newspaper the Herald Sun said Crown Princess Mary found bullying 'a cruel and senseless act' that could lead to lifelong personal problems for victims and their families.

Maree Stanley, director of the Better Buddies program, said the princess had been impressed when she was introduced to it during her visit to Australia earlier this year.

'She was thrilled with the idea that it could be transferred so easily into Danish schools,' Stanley said.

/ritzau/

Bertrand said Mary had told him she wanted to make a difference working with children and for the environment. He suggested that she joined the cause and Prime Minister John Howard, the foundation's national patron, helped to convince her.

The Alannah and Madeline Foundation receives little Government funding with most funding coming from events. The Foundation is working hard to make a difference in the lives of children- but they can’t do it alone.

Knowing Mary has a deep interest for helping children , Bertrand has probably convinced Mary with the help of John Howard to be the Foundation International Patron. This fundation lies solely on donations as it has lttle aid from the government. And with her popularity and her present status , collection of funds from charity drive will not be a problem as proven in the last charity dinners and fund raising during her last visit in Australia.

I am glad that she accepted the offer . It is a good cause and will bring much awareness and help many children in future. ^thumbsup^

• 5 weeks later...

Today Danish Refugee Council, who has Crown princess Mary as Patron, did a door to collection today(which we naturally supported [:}:D , Thor)

Help Danish Refugee Councel to Help

Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Mary - patron of Danish Refugee Council

"It's one of the great challenges of the present time, to help refugees in the focal points of the World with food, blankets, safety and to help them to create a new future. We canl all - each in our own way - make a difference and help refugees to get a to live a life with digtinity", HKH Crown princess Mary.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ther is a new picture of Mary with a young girl in Danish Refugee Council website. I have not seen it before. Anyone have any idea when it is taken?

(Okay: It is alright I saw that Thor has posted it above . I must have missed that.)

hkhindsamling1401ei.jpg

http://www.flygtning.dk/

This is an old article where Mary visited the Refugees shelter during her pregnancy

Kronprinsessen mødtes med flygtninge og frivillige

Dansk Flygtningehjælps protektor på besøg i Frivillighus på Nørrebrogade

mary_cykelpige.jpg

Dansk Flygtningehjælps protektor HKH Kronprinsesse Mary spurgte ind til sprogbesvær, balancekunst på cyklen og integration i Danmark, da hun besøgte Frivillighuset på Nørrebro i dag.

Det danske sprog er svært at lære, det tager tid, men så er det også rigtigt dejligt, når tingene begynder at falde på plads. Det var en af de ting, Kronprinsesse Mary og de flygtninge, der kommer i Frivillighuset på Nørrebrogade, kunne blive enige om i dag.

Kronprinsesse Mary mødte blandt andre Rakhma Omar Salad, der kommer i Frivillighuset for at få hjælp til sine lektier fra sprogskolen. Kronprinsessen spurgte Rakhma, hvad hun syntes var svært ved at komme til Danmark uden at kunne sproget.

"Det var svært at finde nogen, at snakke dansk med i bare fem minutter. Før jeg startede i Frivillighuset, havde jeg kun en dansk ven, jeg kunne tale med, og så er det svært at lære dansk. Her har jeg nogen at tale med, og når man bare prøver, så kommer det," var Rakhma svar.

"Kronprinsessen viste åbenhed og interesse," siger Henrik Pedersen, der er frivillig i Dansk Flygtningehjælp. Han fremhæver netop de egenskaber som et vigtigt led i integrationen af flygtninge og indvandrere her i landet. "Integration rykker når flygtningene mødes med åbenhed og interesse fra danskerne."

Det er ikke kun det danske sprog, det kan være vanskeligt at håndtere. Også den to-hjulede, de fleste danskere er vokset op med, er en udfordring for mange flygtninge.

"De førte to-tre gange jeg var med på cykelholdet, kunne jeg slet ikke holde balancen. Det går fint nu, hvor jeg bruger min cykel i min uddannelse til Social og Sundhedsassistent," fortalte Eman Abu Sharekh.

"Det betyder meget for både flygtninge og frivillige at Hendes Kongelige Højhed, Kronprinsessen, i dag har sat positiv fokus på integrationen i Danmark. Kronprinsessen viser ved sit eksempel, hvor meget vi kan få ud af at mødes menneske til menneske," siger Andreas Kamm, generalsekretær i Dansk Flygtningehjælp.

Der er 3.400 frivillige tilknyttet Dansk Flygtningehjælps landsdækkende frivillige netværk, de har årligt kontakt til over 10.000 flygtninge og indvandrere.

For yderligere oplysninger kontakt: Kommunikationschef Susse Maria Holst på30 54 04 94, eller journalist Iben de Neergaard på 20 31 66 87

http://www.flygtning.dk/Enkel_nyhed.1120.0...2dd&tt_news=274

• 2 weeks later...

This is an old article from The Sydney Morning Herald of how Mary as Patron of both Denmark's Association for Mental Health and the Mental Health Fund, helped to promote Mental Health during The Royal visit to Australia in March.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/03/03/1109700614909.html

She's got us, under our skin

By Andrew Stevenson

March 4, 2005

maryd_ent-lead__200x276.jpg

Royal progress ... Princess Mary and Prince Frederik on their way to a state dinner last night.

Photo: Jon Reid

Lleyton Hewitt barely scored a "c'mon" when he entered the Four Seasons Hotel yesterday; Tony Abbott was ignored. The oxygen of publicity had already been consumed by the phenomenon that is Crown Princess Mary of Denmark.

"That's the power of the throne, I suppose," chuckled the federal Health Minister as he waited for someone - anyone - to notice his arrival at the hotel near Circular Quay.

But those happy to spend $175 on lunch for the Mental Health Foundation had eyes for one person alone: the stylish young woman in the raw silk pants-suit.

The bunyip aristocracy was struck down in NSW in the 1850s when the idea of life peers was laughed out of court, most notably by Dan Deniehy. The popularity of this visit by the crown prince and princess has caused some to wonder whether the desire for titular recognition was ever truly defeated.

Mr Abbott, a monarchist to his bootlaces, certainly believes in the redemptive power of kings and queens and fairytales.

"I want to thank you, Princess Mary, for reminding a sceptical world of the magic that can be involved in a monarch," he told the lunchtime audience of 560.

Every time one person's dream comes true the world is a better and brighter place for all of us. Your marriage was a gift to the people of Australia. Thank you for what you have done for us."

Princess Mary helped launch Embrace the Future, a campaign to focus attention on the life stresses faced by young people.

"To me it's a pleasure to be here and, more than that, it's so wonderful to see such overwhelming support to mark the launch of the community awareness campaign," she said.

Princess Mary has recently become patron of both Denmark's Association for Mental Health and the Mental Health Fund.

"As in Australia, raising awareness of mental health issues, prevention, early detection and removing the too-often associated stigma from mental illness is at the core of our work," she said.

Prince Frederik again spent the day sailing, joining his wife last night at Government House for a state dinner in their honour, hosted by the NSW Governor, Professor Marie Bashir.

More of th event in the Australian Tour

http://crownprincessmary.ipbhost.com/index...topic=1622&st=0

• 2 months later...

http://www.mpidenmark.dk/default.asp?page=57

Professional Education Conference, PEC-Europe 18.-20. March 2007- Kronprinsesse Mary protektor for PEC 2007

The leading global meetings association Meeting Professionals International (MPI) has chosen Copenhagen to host its annual Professional Education ConferenceEurope in 2007.

Copenhagen was chosen ahead of Oslo, London and Prague when MPI chose the 2007

destination for the Professional Education ConferenceEurope.

The conference is the annual event for the European meeting business industry.

Colin Rorrie, president and CEO of MPI explains why MPI chose Copenhagen to host the

conference:

"We have selected Copenhagen partly based on the outstanding volunteer and sponsorship

support in Copenhagen. But also because we are convinced that the overall attendee experience

of meeting in Copenhagen will be a very positive one based upon the fantastic locale and

convenient accessibility of such an exciting and vibrant city, in addition to its understanding of the

importance of the meetings industry not only in Europe, but also on a global basis."

The President of MPIDenmark Chapter, Holger Brodersen, is very satisfied with the decision:

"We are pleased to welcome MPI to Denmark. We have a lot to offer as a meeting destination

and it all comes together in Copenhagen. Danish design is for example one of this country?s

unique features.

The theme of the conference is not set yet, but one idea is how ?design? can be enfolded into

design of meetings/events, fashion and architecture."

Wonderful Copenhagenalso sees the MPI conference as a great opportunity. Dorte Ottesen,

Convention Director comments:

"Copenhagen has undertaken a great development since 1998 when MPI held the annual

conference the last time. MPI is the leading global association that defines and shapes the

meeting and event profession. The organisation therefore has great influence on the future choice

of meeting destinations, which makes the MPI conference a great opportunity to show what

Copenhagen has to offer as of today. It is also a great chance to show that Copenhagen has an

important role to play in the development of the meetings industry in the future."

The conference will take place from 18th to 20th March,and around 500 participants from Europe

are expected to attend the event.

For further information, please contact:

Wonderful Copenhagen ®, tel. (+45) 33 25 74 00

Press Officer, Meetings & Incentives, Ms. Ulrika Mårtensson, ulm@woco

To the MPI-conference

http://www.mpidenmark.dk/FileLib/HRH%20Mar...ence%202007.doc

PRESS RELEASE

March 2006

HRH Crown Princess Mary to be Patroness for the Annual MPI Conference 2007 in Copenhagen

The Danish Crown Princess, HRH Mary has accepted to be the official patroness for the association Meeting Professionals International’s (MPI) conference in Copenhagen in 2007.

The leading global meetings association MPI has chosen Copenhagen to host its annual Professional Education Conference-Europe in 2007. The theme for the conference will be how design can be enfolded into design of meetings and events. And it has just been announced, that the patroness of the convention will be HRH Crown Princess Mary who’s interest for design is well known.

Copenhagen was chosen ahead of Oslo, London and Prague when MPI chose the 2007 destination for the Professional Education Conference-Europe. The conference is the annual event for the European meeting business industry.

Colin Rorrie, president and CEO of MPI explains why MPI chose Copenhagen to host the conference:

“We have selected Copenhagen partly based on the outstanding volunteer and sponsorship support in Copenhagen. But also because we are convinced that the overall attendee experience of meeting in Copenhagen will be a very positive one based upon the fantastic locale and convenient accessibility of such an exciting and vibrant city, in addition to its understanding of the importance of the meetings industry not only in Europe, but also on a global basis.”

The President of MPI-Denmark Chapter, Anders Gisselmann, is very satisfied with the decision:

“We are pleased to welcome MPI to Denmark. We have a lot to offer as a meeting destination and it all comes together in Copenhagen. Danish design is for example one of this country’s unique features, which makes it the natural theme for the conference.”

Wonderful Copenhagen CVB sees the MPI conference as a great opportunity. Steen Jacobsen, Convention Director comments:

“Copenhagen has undertaken a great development since 1998 when MPI held the annual conference the last time. MPI is the leading global association that defines and shapes the meeting and event profession. The organisation therefore has great influence on the future choice of meeting destinations, which makes the MPI conference a great opportunity to show what Copenhagen has to offer as of today. It is also a great chance to show that Copenhagen has an important role to play in the development of the meetings industry in the future.”

Wonderful Copenhagen and the sponsors for the congress, e.g. VisitDenmark, is very pleased with the fact, that the HRH Crown Princess Mary has accepted to be the patroness for the conference.

Bente Nørskov from VisitDenmark comments:

” The patroness from the Crown Pricess underlines the importance of the Danish meeting tourism business and will surly put an extra focus on the event.”

The conference will take place in the Bella Center, Scandinavia’s largest congress centre, from 18th to 20th March, and around 500 participants from Europe are expected to attend the event.

For further information, please contact:

Wonderful Copenhagen ®, tel. (+45) 33 25 74 00

Press Officer, Meetings & Incentives, Ms. Ulrika Mårtensson, ulm@woco

For the latest update, please visit www.visitcopenhagen.dk/pressinformation

Archived