General news for F&M 2020

mls

16. September 2000 - 20 years ago today -

The Crown Prince of Denmark and Mary Donaldson met for the first time during the Sydney Olympics.

From the Ninka interview (2004) translated by a former Danish poster                                             image.png.f5e267c1ed43104398a217060fc4cade.png

3 - the Meeting

pp 45-46.

"I knew that work shouldn't be filling my whole life. There should be a balance. It was in that period I met Frederik. It was September 16, 2000.

-I lived together with four others in a big house. It was at the time of the Olympic games in Sydney, and one of my flatmates had been invited to take a few friends along to a bar to meet some Spaniards, who participated in the games. As it happens, that evening I was in fact going to a kind of goodbye party at a friends place a couple of houses down the street, but when the taxi arrived I thought: "No, I change my mind and go with you!". A sudden decision taken in a split second. I think perhaps because I was the one who had lived in the house longest, and because it was the first time we were going out together.

- We drove to a bar called Slip Inn, and it was there we met. It was a party of some Australians and two nephews of the Spanish king, plus Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Joachim, Prince Nikolaos of Greece and Princess Märtha-Louise. I didn't know who they were. Half an hour later one my flatmates came up to me and asked "Do you know these people are prince this and princess that?".

-Later in the evening Frederik and I began to converse, and we simply didn't stop talking. And that was IT! A very long conversation, which continued over a year or rather 14 months.

- Next day he and his brother traveled to Melbourne but a week later I met with him and his friends to  dinner. After that he traveled in Australia for six weeks. When he came back we met again, but he was called back home, because his grandmother was seriously ill. He was very affected by this and wanted to leave as quickly as possibly. We got one and a half day together, then, where we had hoped for a week to learn to know each other a little better.

- It wasn't like 'BANG' the first night, that I knew that I have met the man of my life. It is difficult to pinpoint that precise moment. There was a great distance between us and big gaps of time between our meetings, too. Because we spent so much time being alone, anything could happen for each of us. At such a distance both geographically and family wise, you cannot just say: He's the right person. I takes time and you have to test each other, because there's a lot in the pot in this situation. But we kept in contact with each other. And each time we met, things went one step further.

- Now I knew who he was, of course, and this made the whole thing that more uncertain. Could it develop to something at all? On the other hand I wasn't that pessimistic, where I felt that it wasn't worth the trouble. It wasn't like that. And each step forward finally took us to a point, where we realised, that we couldn't continue to be that far away from each other. We had to take the jump and see where it would land us."

image.png.3f2878939998f95f039139192626cc56.png

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 years ago. Where time flies! It has been and is a pleasure to follow this couple/now family.

Have you read the book 'Under the Beam'? I really like, but also almost surprised at how honest both Frederik and Mary are in the in-depth interviews/portraitbooks about them.

On the occasion of today, I have written a longer text based on the interviews Frederik and Mary have given.
A love story, indeed, but not the fairytale I think many people may think.

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/general-news-about-frederik-mary-and-family-part-18-june-2020-a-47637-3.html#post2342797

9 hours ago, JosephineDane said:

Have you read the book 'Under the Beam'? I really like, but also almost surprised at how honest both Frederik and Mary are in the in-depth interviews/portraitbooks about them.

I have read large parts of it, in Danish. I think it's much better than the 40th birthday book about Frederik.

11 day gap in the calendar for both Frederik and Mary.... I wonder if it has something to do with the 20th anniversary? Perhaps a trip abroad just the two of them,

perhaps a trip to Australia was planned? Mary's brother's 50th birthday was not long ago. Maybe a party was planned. Or something.

Covid may have changed their plans and the gap in the calendar stayed.

Could be, of course, that there are some unannounced events next week that we don't know of.

My thoughts too. Before Corona you could almost be sure that if F&M had a gap in the calendar of 11 days then something private happened.

Now the corona makes it a little more insecure. Maybe it's just canceled events, maybe there just aren't that many events being arranged these months.

I noticed Mary has taken over a ‘Frederik event’ with the ‘DI awards’ on 29. September. So at first I thought maybe Frederik would go somewhere, but Mary doesn't have anything in the calender for the next 11 days either.

Maybe F&M has private plans. A visit ro Mary's father in England who has just had a birthday, but with corona not so sure. I have long had the idea that they again would go on a private trip to Greenland. Also because it seems like Frederik not are home on 29. September. Australia is almost too short for 11 days.
My heart bleeds for Mary... not to say when she can see har family again when corona is blussing up again and again.

Maybe it's unofficial events or visits. Just a bit of a coincidence if they both have it at the same week. 

• 3 weeks later...

How lovely a foursome F&M have! Like the rest of Denmarks schoolchildren on their way to the Danish Schools Sport Day... 👍

Love they still live in Kancellihuset in Fredensborg. I wonder how long they will stay.

I wish the family a good Autumn holiday. Maybe they will go to Trend?

F&M have as usual no official events in the childrens holiday week except for one for Mary on Monday, but it is a virtuel event, so they could go to Trend as they often use to.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/australia-travel-tourism-tourists-2021-borders-closed-coronavirus-b857365.html

I'm so sad on behalf of Mary and her family. 
As I understand it Australia's borders are closed until the year 2022?
Australians can not travel out of the country and tourists can not travel in?

Is it correct?

If that is correct it means that Mary can’t see her siblings until the year 2022. I think a good part of the reason the Crown Prince family decided to postponed Prince Christian's confirmation until next year was because so his mother's family could attend, but right now it does not seem that they under any circumstances get the opportunity to attend Christian's confirmation now.

Likewise, it does not seem that Mary can celebrate Christmas with her family this year either.

Mary's father, John Donaldson and Susan live both in England and France so the CP-family can see Grandpa and Susan.

Unfortunately for Mary's siblings, they can not see their father until the year 2022 - which is a long time when you are up in that age.

Or have I completely misunderstood Australia's information?

On 10/9/2020 at 10:01 AM, JosephineDane said:

Love they still live in Kancellihuset in Fredensborg. I wonder how long they will stay.

Perhaps they'll return to Amalienborg after this week?

55 minutes ago, JosephineDane said:

I think a good part of the reason the Crown Prince family decided to postponed Prince Christian's confirmation until next year was because so his mother's family could attend, but right now it does not seem that they under any circumstances get the opportunity to attend Christian's confirmation now.

That's what it looks like at the moment. Everything is so uncertain. One of Christian's godfathers is also Australian, Hamish Campbell.

Postponing the confirmation probably also has something to do with his special position. Bigger event than for the rest, I think.

On 10/14/2020 at 5:47 PM, mls said:

Perhaps they'll return to Amalienborg after this week?

I have been thinking that thought too. Here after the autumn holiday. But we haven’t heard anything today? So maybe they stay (:

We got a press release when the Crown Prince family moved the residence from Amalienborg to the Kancellihuset so I wonder if we will receive a press release when they move their residence back?

It's Mary's office at Amalienborg. So don’t your think the CP-family has moved back?

Mary has a visit with the Mary Foundation later today in a swimming club in Helsingør (North Zealand). I hardly think that Mary has driven to Copenhagen for a virtual meeting to drive back to North Zealand again for the next event? Or ... unless she's met with the Mary Foundation before their visit and accompanied them to the swimming club. The Mary Foundation has home right next to Amailienborg. It could be.

Don’t you think we will be told when they move their residence back? 😊

44 minutes ago, JosephineDane said:

It's Mary's office at Amalienborg. So don’t your think the CP-family has moved back?

Mary has a visit with the Mary Foundation later today in a swimming club in Helsingør (North Zealand). I hardly think that Mary has driven to Copenhagen for a virtual meeting to drive back to North Zealand again for the next event? Or ... unless she's met with the Mary Foundation before their visit and accompanied them to the swimming club. The Mary Foundation has home right next to Amailienborg. It could be.

Don’t you think we will be told when they move their residence back? 😊

Maybe they/one of them takes the kids to school in the morning, drive to Amalienborg to work at the office and then one or both of them pic up the kids after school

and drive back to Fredensborg.

They have been photographed in their offices while staying at Kancellihuset. I guess she goes to Kancellihuset (assuming they still live there) from the official event.

Hard to say if they will release when they move back to Amalienborg. You will have to pop in at Amalienborg during daytime to see if the flag is up...;)

I have to, and I will do it 😉

I live close by. So I give a update... 

But I think your guess about driving the kids to school and then to their working offices at Amalienborg is good. 
We know they still lived in Fredensborg on 9. October (Frederik’s picture of the children going to school). So they have lived there for 6 months now. 

A nice little greeting to Crown Princess Mary in the comments section on the DRF’s Facebook under her recent event:

“Dear Crown Princess. You are a person with a big heart. A heart that has won all of Denmark and Australia. We have just moved from Denmark to Florida, USA. We have met our new neighbor who is from Australia. When she hears we are from Denmark her eyes shine and she exclaims: Our Mary is your crown princess. Yes you bind people together in every way 🇩🇰🇺🇸🇦🇺🥰

I doubt the royals read the comments on the DRF social media, though. 

B6FFBE66-48CA-47C0-8D10-9B2D41CD6C69.jpeg

8 minutes ago, JosephineDane said:

Okay so after six months back to Copenhagen again. They are moving in an otherwise busy week for F&M. 

I was past Amalienborg yesterday and there was no flag up.

Well, they don't have to move furniture and everything back and forth, mostly clothes, computers and so on.

On a post with the news that the Crown Prince family is moving back to Amalienborg, I stumbled upon these comments from some locals from Fredensborg. I think it gives a good insight into how anonymous and peaceful F&M and children can live in Fredensborg.
As I understand it Mary was seen riding both Thursday morning and yesterday morning (before her official events) and the family moved yesterday, so Mary managed to take advantage of her opportunity for a daily? ride to the last.
I can imagine she and the family will miss that part in particular, even though Copenhagen is also wonderful.

Comment 1 from Maj-Britt:
"How funny, @Lene. I was in the yarn shop in Fredensborg today, and heard someone mention that the family moved to Copenhagen today.
I mentioned that we were some who thought - maybe and possibly 😜 - to have seen Mary on horseback the other day without visible security, and I was told that she often rode a ride - also this morning in the rain.? Have a nice weekend!!”

Comment 2 from Lene:
"Anne's husband was on a walk yesterday morning where he met her - pulling with the horse and the dog was also with her 😊"

Comment 3 from Lisa:
"@Lene, then I guess it was the Crown Princess you had seen 👌☺️"

Comment 4 from Lene:
"@Lisa, yes it was 👍 We should have been a little closer 😕"

Comment 5 from Lisa:
"Yes we should, but it is still cool 😉"

39AE245A-4566-4C0D-A35F-10EBC4C6630D.jpeg

47F38AF9-F544-4F19-95D4-8D848E3AE572.jpeg

91C85E3F-A623-4A05-BF41-283FA921763F.jpeg

"In June, Australian musician Nick Cave, in collaboration with The Royal Library and Arts Center Melbourne, opened an exhibition at The Black Diamond in Copenhagen. Today, the musician had the opportunity to show the Crown Prince and Crown Princess around the eight art installations that depict the musician's upbringing and career.

The photos show the Crown Prince and Crown Princess together with Nick Cave and his wife Susie Cave in one of the exhibition's installations, which is a reconstruction of Nick Cave's office, which includes the musician's private interiors, books and photographs.

Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess were subsequently offered "Afternoon tea" in the library's Salon."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHDyE4fgvZQ/

📸 Anders Sune Berg, Det Kgl. Bibliotek ©

image.png.fc54f7bec9c84e80f5a0514901360f71.png

image.png.e8c2cedb3a3952e8a95f9a57024d6074.png

image.png.6a372105ad265720eb89ef69ed344b59.png

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Paulamary said:

Video of Frederik out running and giving a little way to some boys dressed as soldiers

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHnmNV5Bw1F/?igshid=n57khcyw9fe7

This is Malthe and William at Fredensborg two months ago, when Mary drove past and waved to them.

They often help the guards at Amalienborg.

image.png.d73fc1a88508f224f597e4bbd2efc443.png

image.png.45d4318d3fcd647e0648d6f5c5bbd3b9.png

• 2 weeks later...