General news - Queen Margrethe & Prince Henrik

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From International Herald Tribune Europe

Denmark's Queen Margrethe undergoes successful knee-replacement surgery

The Associated PressPublished: February 8, 2007

COPENHAGEN, Denmark: Danish Queen Margrethe II on Thursday received an artificial right knee during an hourlong surgery at a hospital in northwestern Denmark, a palace statement said.

The surgery at Aarhus City Hospital, 200 kilometers (125 miles) northwest of Copenhagen, went smoothly, according to Anders Odgaard, the orthopedic surgeon who performed the operation.

The popular monarch was doing well, the statement said, citing Odgaard.

"The Queen has no pain and is looking forward to start her rehabilitation" program, he said in the palace statement.

Margrethe's official duties in the next two months have either been canceled or will be undertaken by her son, Crown Prince Frederik, or her husband, Prince Henrik.

Full article

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/02/08/...een-Surgery.php

Article from www.jp.dk. Summary: the Queen is staying in the hospital until probably next week and will then return to Aarhus. For the next three months, she won't be able to follow all of her duties. Therefore, it is unsure if the Queen and the Prince Consort will spend the Easter holidays in Aarhus, as they use to.

Dronningen genoptræner i Århus

Af JENS KURT JØRGENSEN

Operationen forløb planmæssigt, da dronning Margrethe i går fik indsat et kunstigt led i sit højre knæ.

Dronning Margrethe er efter alt at dømme her til formiddag godt i gang med genoptræningen af sit højre knæ, efter at hun i går på Århus Sygehus fik indsat et kunstigt led i knæet. For operationen forløb planmæssigt. Dronningen var hurtigt smertefri og kunne i går modtage besøg af blandt andet ægtemanden prins Henrik.

»Derfor ser hun frem til hurtigt at komme videre med sin genoptræning,« sagde overlæge, dr.med. Anders Odgaard, der sammen med overlæge Frank Madsen står for behandlingen.

Men, advarer Anders Odgaard, der vil formentlig gå mindst to til tre måneder, før dronningen kan ventes at være i fuldt vigør igen.

(..)

jens.jorgensen@jp.dk

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an excerpt about the operation from Her & Nu #6 2007:

Margrethe awake during the surgery

Written by Kirsten Balslev

The Prince Consort is supposed to be by Queen Margrethe’s sickbed, when she will be brought to her room tomorrow after the knee surgery at Århus Sygehus.

(…)

The Queen will be awake during the surgery as the doctors will be using a spinal cord anaesthesia, which works by anaesthetizing the legs completely and she will be totally free of pain during the procedure. If the Queen wishes to sleep during the procedure, then she can ask for sleeping medicine. After the operation, the operated leg will be put on an electrical splint, which is constantly bending and stretching the knee. Already on the day of the operation, Queen Margrethe will be able to stand on the operated leg as the knee will be strong enough to carry her weight only a few hours after the procedure has taken place.

(…)

And from Her & Nu #7 2007:

New knee for Queen Margrethe

Written by Henrik Salling

On Thursday last week, Queen Margrethe was operated in the right knee and she can now brag about having two fake of the kind.

(…)

The operation lasted for 63 minutes and was performed by consultant Anders Odgaard, who confirms that the procedure went by without complications.

Article from Billed Bladet #4 2007:

Henrik’s wine is selling

It has most likely helped the sale, the fact that Prince Henrik’s wine is now sold through the company Christ Wine in a lot of supermarkets. – It’s mostly the red wine from Château de Cayx, which sells now, and in the summertime, the sales of the white wines and the popular rosé will grow, said manager Michael Carl.

• 4 weeks later...

I've gotten the same impression as santa! But then I also thought about the heels...

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be able to find the answer anywhere :rub:

• 1 month later...

I know for sure that Prince Henrik went hunting for roe bucks :)

I saw Dannebrog in the harbour of Rønne, the biggest town on Bornholm. I asked the sailor on guard if it was Prince Henrik that was on hunt? His answer: "Umm, yes, that´s not a secret" :D And then he smiled broadly like he was saying "we danes know the habits of the royals" :D

I took, of course, some photos af Dannebrog, while I had the chance :)

They will follow as soon as I have uploaded them :)

Last year I was in Denmark when the Queen and Prince-Consort arrived for the summer on their yacht, I wasn't able to get any pictures though..

Really?! How awesome! :jumping-smiley-017: :jumping-smiley-017: You never told us before did you?

Last year I was in Denmark when the Queen and Prince-Consort arrived for the summer on their yacht, I wasn't able to get any pictures though..

Really?! How awesome! :jumping-smiley-017: :jumping-smiley-017: You never told us before did you?

correct, I wasn't really active back than :rolleyes:

• 7 months later...

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #3, 2008.

Q&A.

Daisys smukke broche er et arvestykke – Daisy’s beautiful brooch is an heirloom.

Ulla Nielsen, Copenhagen, would like to know more about Queen Margrethe’s brooch in the shape of a daisy.

Poul Jørgensen replies:

It’s the Marguerite-brooch. The late Queen Ingrid got it from her father, King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden, when she married the then Crown Prince Frederik in 1935.

It was in memory of her mother, Crown Princess Margareta, who died when Ingrid was ten. Margareta’s nick name was Daisy. Just as Queen Margrethe within her family (*) is called: Daisy.

The brooch was presented to Queen Margrethe on her 60th birthday. It consists of 238 brilliants and 444 rosensten (help needed here. What are rosensten = rose-stones called in English and what sort of gems are they)?

(*) But never by her subjects, in contrast to what you may have heard or read.

i didn't know Queen Ingrids mother died when she was so young, thanks so much for these stories, muhler, it makes them so human instead of fairytale. i can't imagine calling her daisy, she's too regal a lady.

• 5 months later...

H.K.H. Prinsgemalens indlæggelse på Århus Sygehus

Amalienborg, 17. juli 2008

Pressemeddelelse

Det meddeles herved, at Hans Kongelige Højhed Prinsgemalen fredag den 18. juli indlægges på Århus Sygehus for at gennemgå en mindre operation af nogle sener i skulderen. Opholdet på sygehuset forventes at vare ca. et døgn.

Eventuelle spørgsmål kan rettes til undertegnede på telefon 33 40 1010.

Mogens Christensen

Kammerherre, oberst

Chef for Hans Kongelige Højhed Prinsgemalens Sekretariat

http://kongehuset.dk/publish.php?id=17903

• mls locked this topic

Archived