Queen Margrethe as an artist - Part 2

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, I don't have anything to contribute- the only things I've seen are what I saw on part one of this lovely thread, but I will say this- I find it fascinating how diverse her works are. And I don't just mean, isn't she great how she draws, paints, and other things(for example, my grandmother is a wonderful painter, but swears black and blue she can't draw....and I must say I do draw better than I paint...anyway)but when you see the work of an artist, even when they use a different medium, it's often able to be picked out as to who it's by, even if it's painting and sculpture, but there are some pictures in there and some of them just look so differnt. really really interesting!did anyone else see that?

• 5 months later...
Guest Thor~

Todat Queen Margrethe inaugurated an exhivition in Firenze, Italy, of her own paintings. There was a clip in the 19:30 early evening news from DR.

Here are some news from Italy:

From the Nazione in Firenze:

http://lanazione.quotidiano.net/chan/firen...82:/2006/05/17:

Firenze

MUSEO STIBBERT

FIRENZE, 17 MAy 2006 - Tre quadri inediti ed un totale di

120 opere che, per la prima volta, vengono proposte al

pubblico fuori dai paesi nordici: queste le caratteristiche

della mostra personale di Sua Maestà Margrethe II di

Danimarca, inaugurata oggi al Museo Stibbert di Firenze.

«Il sogno di una regina» è il titolo dell'esposizione, che

resterà aperta al pubblico fino al 9 luglio. È stata la stessa

sovrana a presentare l'evento ai giornalisti ed a parlare

dell'esperienza artistica di una regina che, in occasione

della mostra allo Stibbert, ha voluto curare personalmente gli

allestimenti. In mostra si trovano quadri, decoupages e

paramenti ecclesiastici, questi ultimi disegnati e ricamati

personalmente da Sua Maestà.

Opere che consentono di conoscere l'intero percorso artistico

di Margrethe II. «Ho iniziato a dipingere a trent'anni con una

certa continuità - ha spiegato la regina di Danimarca - ed ho

sempre amato, fino da piccola, il disegno».

«Ospitare questo evento - ha aggiunto la direttrice del Museo

Stibbert, Cristina Piacenti - rappresenta un grande onore,

oltre che un'occasione artistica di notevole livello».

La mostra delle opere della Regina di Danimarca si inserisce

nell'ambito delle iniziative del 'Genio Fiorentino'.

An attempt of a translation:

Firenze

MUSEO STIBBERT

An exhibition of the works of the Queen

FIRENZE, 17 MAy 2006 - Three new paintings and 120 older ones was for the first time shown to the public outside the nordic countries: This are the facts about the solo exhibition of Her Majesty Margrethe II to Denmark, which was inaugrated today at Stibbert MuseumT in Firenze

«The dreams of a Queen» is the title of the exhibition, which will be open for the public until july 9. It was the same Sovereign who was present when the exhibition opened, and answered questions from the journalists and talked about her experiences as an artistic Queen, who, at the exhibition at Stibbert, had been personally involved in the design of the exhibition. In the exhibition there are paintings, decoupages and ecclesial vestments, the last designed and embroidered by Her Majesty personally.

«I har been painting for 30 years with a certain continuity - The Queen of Denmark has said - and I have always loved, since i was a small girl, to draw».

Guest Thor~

Apparently Queen Margrethe is on a private visit to Italy form th 14-18 may, after the visit in Firenze, she will travel to Rome

http://www.waytuscany.net/root/dolcevita_alba_2602.htm

La Regina di Danimarca a Firenze

9)Laregina_192.jpg

La regina Margrethe II di Danimarca sarà a Firenze in visita privata dal 14 al 18 maggio prossimo. A darne notizia ufficiale al sindaco Leonardo Domenici, l'ambasciatore danese in Italia Poul Christoffersen, insieme all'ambasciatore italiano a Copenhagen Roberto Di Leo.

La regina Margrethe, che manca dall'Italia da 25 anni, inaugurerà tra l'altro una mostra di arte moderna al Museo Stibbert, dove saranno esposte anche opere della sovrana, che è una pittrice di talento. "Siamo davvero onorati di ospitare a Firenze Margrethe II, regina amatissima e ammirata in patria e fuori", ha detto il sindaco, ricordando che quella danese è tra l'altro la più antica monarchia del mondo. La visita in Italia della regina proseguirà poi a Roma.

Guest Thor~

http://www.polistampa.com/asp/so.asp?id=3454

ilsognod.jpg

Genio Fiontino: ‘ll sogno di una Regina’

«Provincia di Firenze» , 11/05/2006

Leggi la recensione...

Recensione di senza firma

Per la prima volta in Italia si inaugura al Museo Stibbert di Firenze la mostra della regina Margrethe II di Danimarca.

La regina Margrethe II di Danimarca mette in mostra una parte della sua produzione artistica al Museo Stibbert di Firenze, a cento anni dalla scomparsa di Frederick Stibbert, fondatore e creatore dell’omonimo museo. Proprio il Museo Stibbert ebbe tra i primi visitatori la regina Vittoria d’Inghilterra, legata da stretti legami di parentela con Margrethe II di Danimarca. L’attuale sovrana danese, che è anche una personalità della scena politica europea, regna in virtù di un atto storico per la Danimarca: l’Atto di Succesione del 1953. Atto che, modificando precedenti norme, garantisce la successione al trono in linea femminile. Così, alla morte del re Frederick IX, è ascesa al trono sua figlia: l’attuale regina Margrethe II di Danimarca. Nei mesi scorsi l’ambasciatore danese in italia Poul Christoffersen, insieme all’ambasciatore italiano a Copenhagen Roberto Di Leo, hanno confermato l’intenzione della sovrana di tornare in Italia, dove manca da venticinque anni. Nella visita privata che farà a Firenze, il 17 maggio inaugurerà la mostra del Museo Stibbert nell’ambito della rassegna del Genio Fiorentino. Il talento artistico della regina Margrethe è noto oltre i confini del suo paese. Esposizioni delle sue opere sono già state realizzate in molte parti d’Europa. Questa volta tocca al Museo Stibbert l’onore di esporre, per la prima volta in Italia, la produzione della sovrana danese tra cui vari acquerelli ispirati alle storie di John Ronald Reuel Tolkien e schizzi per le illustrazioni dell’opera più celebre dello scrittore: “Il Signore degli Anelli”. La mostra ospita inoltre decoupages e illustrazioni della favola di Hans Cristian Andetsen “La Regina delle nevi”. Saranno visibili anche piviali vescovili ricamati in parte dalla regina stessa nella sua veste di capo della Chiesa danese. 21/04/2006 11:00 Provincia di Firenze

Pubblicazioni correlate:

Il Sogno di una Regina. The Inward eye. Opere di S.M. Margrethe II di Danimarca.

©2006, cm 21x21, pp. 96, ill. col., br., € 14,00

Fri, May 19, 2006 : Last updated 0:10 am (Thai local time)

Queen Margrethe II: artist and academic

She's an artist, a writer, a translator, a clothes designer. She's also Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, head of Europe's oldest monarchy but considered one of that continent's most progressive royals.

The Danish Royal House, which has been headed by the same family for 49 generations, can trace its ancestry back to Gorm the Old (died 958 AD) and his son Harald I Bluetooth (died 987 AD), who are credited with the first unification of the country.

Through the millennia, Denmark has evolved from a Viking stronghold into a modern, prosperous nation. It joined Nato in 1949 and the EU in 1973. Among its approximately 5.4 million inhabitants (about 1.4 per cent of the total EU population), it counts Inuit, Scandinavians, Faroese, Germans, Turks, Iranians and Somalis.

The major religion is Evangelical Lutheran, followed by other Protestant churches, Roman Catholics and Muslims.

Her Majesty was not heir to the throne when she was born, in April 1940. The eldest of King Frederik IX's three daughters, she could not become queen because, according to Danish law at that time, only males could become monarch. However, in a major overhaul of the constitution in 1953, a unicameral legislature was established, and females were allowed to ascend the throne in the absence of male heirs.

When her future became clear, the 13-year-old princess began her royal training, eventually studying at various European universities, including Copenhagen University, Cambridge, Aarhus, the Sorbonne and London School of Economics. Arguably the most intellectual and educated monarch in Europe, she holds degrees in political science, archaeology and economics.

In January 1972, when she ascended the throne, she became Denmark's first reigning queen. Denmark, however, is a constitutional monarchy and the sovereign cannot perform political acts independently.

Although the queen signs all acts of legislation before they can become law, these only come into effect after being countersigned by a cabinet minister.

The queen's main tasks are to represent the Kingdom abroad and to be a unifying figurehead at home. She is also the Colonel-in-Chief of the Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment (Queen's and Royal Hampshire), an infantry regiment of the British Army.

Despite the constraints of her position, Her Majesty is considered a "hands-on" queen. The prime minister and foreign minister regularly advise her on the political developments.

She hosts official visits by foreign heads of state and pays state visits abroad. She receives every ambassador from foreign countries represented in Denmark and also formally appoints and dismisses civil servants.

In addition to writing her own speeches, she holds, in the winter months, private audiences with seven of her subjects every fortnight, when her visitors have the opportunity to discuss any subject they wish to raise.

As an unelected public official, the queen does not participate in party politics nor expresses any political opinions. She does, however, occasionally give advice informally on topics of national concern.

Her openness once caused a stir. In an authorised biography of the Queen published in 2005, when she addressed the problems of fundamentalist Islam faced by her country, the sentence, "We have to show an alternative to the totalitarity that is also one of the sides of Islam" was mistranslated as "We have to show our opposition to Islam".

In the storm that followed, the correction was announced and the biography was re-published several months later with the mistranslation amended.

According to reports, if Her Majesty were not queen, she could make a living as a professional artist. Under the pseudonym Ingahild Grathmer, her illustrations accompanied the 1977 Danish edition (and the 2002 re-issue) of JRR Tolkien's "Lord Of The Rings". It is also said that she provided some of the translations. She is also skilled in embroidery and church textiles.

Her Majesty, married to former French diplomat Henri de Laborde de Monpezat, now Royal Consort Prince Henrik, has two sons, Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Joachim. In the more than 30 years of her reign, Her Majesty has enjoyed ever-increasing popularity with her people. According to some reports, in fact, if she were not Queen of Denmark, she would be elected president.

Laurie Rosenthal

The Nation

http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/05/19/nat...al_30004384.php

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

:lol: Thank you so much FrederikIX for the interesting info!

Here are the videos. :@:

18/06 07 H.M. Dronningen deltager i åbningen af udstilling på Vitskøl Kloster kl. 15.00.

DR.dk

video clip (1:52) low / medium / high

TV2/NORD

Dronningen i Vitskøl (02:13)

Dronning Margrethe udstiller egne kunstværker på Vitskøl kloster i Himmerland.

video clip (2:13)

Dronningen fortæller om sin kunst (14:18)

Ingrid Buch interviewer Dronning Margrethe om majestætens kunst.

video clip (14:18)

• 3 weeks later...

Article from www.france24.com: Denmark's queen designs sets, costumes for fairytale ballet

Denmark's queen designs sets, costumes for fairytale ballet

Denmark's Queen Margrethe II has designed the sets and costumes for a ballet based on a Hans Christian Andersen fairytale to premiere on Saturday in Copenhagen's Tivoli Gardens theatre, the park said Tuesday.

The ballet, inspired by the fairytale The Tinder Box, is the third show that the monarch has been involved in at the Tivoli theatre.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this info and links FrederikIX :wub:

This looks like it might be from the same seller as a couple of months ago (same vintage of Margrethe's other sold works). Is there any speculation about who is selling these works? I know the Queen has said she doesn't know who it is. But she must know who she gave the paintings to in the first place. It is all a little myterious :D

The brushwork on this canvas is quite different to her more recent work I think -- but I like the effect of this one. I don't know why, but it makes me think of blood under ice or something, but it isn't scary somehow.

:hug2:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

HM Queen Margrethe was present at St. Maria Church in Sonderborg during a ceremony, where a messehagel/chasuble* of her design was inagurated. The Queen has designed a number of such chasubles over the years. The chasuble was exhibited at Sonderborg Castle after the ceremony at a special exhibition.

Article with a picture: http://www.kristeligt-dagblad.dk/artikel/2...el-taget-i-brug

Additonal articles and pictures:

http://www.flensborg-avis.de/index.php?c=v2185025.339

http://www.jv.dk/artikel/363716

Pictures: http://www.jv.dk/artikel/363716?image=1&articleid=363716

Photos: Nicolas Egedorf

* A chasuble is a kind of festive toga/poncho used by the priest on special occasions

• 2 months later...

http://www.bt.dk/article/20080528/royalt/80528003/

QMII paintings on postcards

Queen Margrethe has allowed four of her paintings to be printed as front of postcards sold in the supermarket chain 'Netto', for DKk 25. The net result from the sellings will go to support the Danish Royal Guard's 350 anniversary this month. There are printed 70,000 bundles of cards (4 in each)

You can see the motifs in the link above, there is one motif from each Royal Palace, which are traditionally guarded by the Royal Guards: Amalienborg, Fredensborg, Graasten and Marselisborg

• 9 years later...

http://kongehuset.dk/nyheder/groenlandske-frimaerker-med-hm-dronningens-akvareller

"On the occasion of H.M. the Queen's 78 birthday April 16, 2018 Greenland emits new stamps with seven watercolors that the Queen has painted.

Every year the Greenland telecommunications and postal company TELE emits a special stamp, where the profit of the sale goes to charitable or cultural purposes.

This year the profit goes to the Association Greenlandic Children, for which the Queen is the patron. The organization works throughout Greenland for children to have

a safe childhood and a good start to youth"

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...