QMII & PH - Official & State Visits

This rather interesting article was posted by Kirsten over at SRMB.

It shows how much QM must have missed being able to do everything in Korea and explains in part why she was so looking forward to the visit.

From The Korea Times:

Danish Queen Margrethe II

By Choe Chong-dae

071102_p6_1.jpg

Although Denmark is quite far from Korea, it has never been far from my heart. I have strongly been attracted during my lifetime to this beautiful kingdom, as if it were a second home.

A strong element in my personal background, which has nurtured my attraction to Scandinavian countries came from tales my late father told me when I was a child. My family has had a unique historical relationship with the royal family of Sweden, which is closely related to the royal family of neighboring Denmark.

The royal family of Sweden is on the maternal side of the current royal family of Denmark. The late Queen Ingrid of Denmark, the wife of His Majesty King Frederik IX (1899-1972) and the mother of the current Queen, Her Majesty Margrethe II, was the daughter of the late King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden, with whom my father was well-acquainted. King Gustaf VI was the grandfather of the current Swedish monarch, King Carl Gustaf XVI.

In October 1926, Korea was honored by a royal visitor, in the person of Crown Prince Gustaf, later to be crowned King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden. The crown prince was undertaking a trip to Gyeongju, the ancient capital of the Silla Kingdom.

At that time, the prince visited various archeological sites in the Far East, with the interest and expertise of a professional archeologist. My father, Choe Nam-ju, a true pioneer in the field of Korean archeology, assisted the crown prince in taking part in the famous excavation of a splendid gold crown at the ``Sobong Tomb'' in Gyeongju.

After the time of the 1926 excavation and in view of the happy memories the adventure and the success of it held for both Gustaf and my father, he and my father and other members of the Swedish royal family, including Gustaf's daughter Ingrid (the future Queen Ingrid of Denmark), maintained a continuous friendship with my father and his family by means of written letters ― a friendship that lasted throughout their lives.

It was in the middle of the 1960s when I was in elementary school, that Queen Ingrid's daughter, then-Crown Princess Margrethe of Denmark and now Queen Margrethe II of that beautiful land, sent to my father some letters and a Christmas card, expressing an interest in archeology.

I remember that the Christmas card was very unique and elegant, because it was hand-drawn by the princess herself.

Queen Margrethe II made a state visit to Korea on October 8-12, 2007. Her trip marked her first visit to Korea and the first time any Danish head of state has been to this country at any time, including the lengthy period of time since Denmark first established diplomatic ties with the Republic of Korea in 1959.

Coincidently, the queen's visit came at the same time of year as the October 1926 trip to Gyeongju of her grandfather, the crown prince who was later to become King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden.

I had the privilege of meeting Queen Margrethe II of Denmark at a banquet in Seoul on October 9, which was hosted by Ambassador of Denmark Poul O. G. Hoiness.

Many prominent figures from a variety of sectors of Korean society, including Park Moo-jong, the president and publisher of The Korea Times, had the honor of joining the banquet in the presence of the Danish queen.

The dinner party was enhanced by lovely entertainment, such as highly refined opera, jazz and ballet, and a performance by the Royal Guards' Brass Assembly; indeed, such fine entertainment created an elegant atmosphere for the invited guests.

An elegant design symbolizing love and harmony, appearing on the cover of the formal program brochure for the gala dinner, was painted by the queen herself. She is widely respected by the people of Denmark for her intellectual prowess, as well as for her artistic abilities as not only a painter, but as well an illustrator, a set designer for the theatre, and a textile artist.

At the time of the outbreak of the Korean War in 1950, the three major Scandinavian nations exhibited a humanitarian concern for world medical needs, and permitted the U.N. to dispatch medical units from the respective militaries of those three lands to Korea, where those units established field hospitals on the battlefront.

Denmark sent a modern hospital ship the ``Jutlandia,'' which treated tens of thousands of U.N. war casualties. After the end of the war, the Swedish government together with the governments of Denmark and Norway and felt that they could continue to assist Korean society by means of offering medical assistance.

Therefore, they provided the South Korean government with financial aid, medical teams and experts in the administration of medical facilities, which resulted in the opening and the longtime operation of a hospital in downtown Seoul for the general Korean public.

The hospital is now known as the Korean National Medical Center and it was established in 1958, in cooperation with the three Scandinavian nations, the U.N., and South Korea.

Queen Margrethe had been scheduled to visit the ``Sobong Tomb'' in Gyeongju, where her grandfather had engaged in excavation efforts back in 1926 in order to retrace her grandfather's archeological steps of eight decades earlier.

However, her schedule changed at the last moment, preventing her from visiting Gyeongju, due to other commitments in Seoul. I do hope that she will be able to make a trip to Korea again at some point in the future and to visit Gyeongju, and that the bilateral relationship between Korea and Denmark continues to be enhanced in future years.

Choe Chong-dae is the president of Dae-Kwang International. He is also a longtime director of the Korean-Swedish Association. He can be reached atdkic98@chol.com

There is a rather harsh comment :D from sunjae 11-03-2007 13:25

'I was expecting a photo of the queen. Not a photo of a commoner.'

Prince Henrik didn't stay overnight in the Scandinavian established hospital either, but the US Army established hospital, apparently they are the best hospitals in Seoul.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dronning Margrethe and Prince Henrik visit Mexico officialy fromthe 17 -22 february 2008.

Originally they should have visited Mexico in 2005, but this was cancelled since the Queen had problems with her knees and back.

They will visit Mexico City and put focius on energy and health. A delegation of business and cultural people will accompagny the Regents. In the end they will visit the state of Michoacán. Here they will hold a press conference.

VISITA DE ESTADO 2008

La Embajada de Dinamarca está preparando la Visita de Estado en México, de S.M. la Reina y el Príncipe Consorte, que se llevará a cabo el 20-22 de febrero 2008.

En esta ocasión, llegará una la delegación comercial de Dinamarca a México, que va a tener una parte primordial en la visita. El objetivo de la delegación es promover y fortalecer los negocios entre Dinamarca y México. Contaremos con la presencia de funcionarios del gobierno danés como el ministro de relaciones exteriores (tentativo). También estarán presentes representantes prominentes del mundo empresarial danés tanto gerentes de compañías ya presentes en México como gerentes de compañías interesadas en el mercado mexicano, así como gerentes de asociaciones de industrias en Dinamarca dentro de los sectores de:

Energía (incluyendo gas y petróleo)

Medioambiente

Procesamiento de Alimento

Ciencias/Farmacéuticos.

La Embajada invita a empresas mexicanas dentro de los 4 sectores a participar en la Visita de Estado.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Lore

From DR-News today:

http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Indland/2008/02/01/152313.htm

Finaly the Danish Queen will visit Mexico officially.

01. feb. 2008 15.35 Indland

This time it ougth to be sure that Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik will visit Mexico medio february.

This vist has been cancelled twice.

The Regents will visit Mexico City and a orphanage.

The second day they will fly to San Luis Potosi, the biggest city in the north easter Mexico. They will visit two Danish companies toegether with Danish minister of economics Bendt Betjensen.

A number of 'secret' actors are accompanying the Queen and Prince Consort. They will participate in the inauguration of Mexico's biggest movie festival, Ficco, and will show 23 Danish movies.

Also a visit to Michoacán.

at last there will be an official press meeting, and the Queen and the Prince will continue on a private visit Chiapas, know for it's Maya culture.

Queen Margrethe visited Mexico in 1966 , as a crown princess.

• 2 weeks later...

Margrethe in the footsteps of Brother Jacob

Brother Jacob was the first Dane to arrive in Mexico in 1542. In the little town of Tzintzuntzan in the State of Michoacán his memory is still kept alive by the citizens.

It is the President of Mexico, Felipe Calde­rón, who is born in Michoacán, who has suggested the itiniary for the Danish Queen and the Prince Consort to spend a day in the footsteps of Jacob.

Jacob's activities are spread around the State, and to visit most , HM Margrethe and Prince Henrik will be conveyed around in a helicopter, together with the President. He will show his Danish guests towns and churches, who "Jacobo Daciano" is assumed to have visited, ending in the Monastary of Tzintzuntzan, where the Danish monk stayed in a prolonged span of time.

According to recent research Brother Jacob might have been a son of Queen Christine and brother of Christian II, King of Sweden and Denmark.

Jacob was born around the year 1484 and became a franciscan monk. When the Reformation hit Denmark he had to leave his monastery, and through Spain he arrived in Mexico as one of the first monks.

bases on an article written by Kris Jely in TV2

Thanks Pogo99 :@:

The story about about the monks in the Americas is fascinating. Many monks like Jacob here worked tirelessly on behalf of the indigenous peoples, who by 1542 would have been decimated by desease brought from Europe. Sadly so few monks were recognized for their efforts and most have been forgotten.

The treatment of the indigenous peoples was so abhorrent that a stream of complaints by priests and monks went back to Europe. That led to one of the perhaps ten most important conferences in the history of not only the Christian church but in the world. That conference took place in Constanz, if I remember correctly. The question to be resolved was: Are Indians humans or animals?

If Indians were humans, then they posessed a soul and ought to be converted to Christianity as a first priority. That also meant that there were limits to how bad they could be treated.

However, if Indians were animals of some sort, then they had no soul and could be treated legally as beasts. Primarily as beasts of burden.

The priests and monks at this conference presented example after example of horrendous atrocities committed by the European settlers. That went against everything Christian they argued.

There were also representatives of settlers present and they admitted that there were cases of cruelty taking place. And then they went down to business:

In order to develope and keeping the plantations, mines and so on profitable they needed laboures. I.e. slaves. The Indians were at hand so to speak.

However, Indians were poor slaves. They died en masse and were ill-suited to work in the mines in particular.

Now, profit is good. Profit can be taxed. For the benefit of the Spanish crown in particular but also very much the church. How should this problem be solved?

Solution: Indians were humans of some kind, meaning they they posessed a soul, so they ought first and foremost be converted to Christianity. It was still desirable that they were put to work, either as slaves (in whatever capacity that was best suited to them), servants, farmhands, or encouraged to farm small plots basically creating a class of serfs.

How about the mines and the plantations then?

Well, black Africans are well suited. They are robust, can be induced to work very hard, are able to withstand the heat and still work. They are also the least developed humans, lower than the Indians in fact. Africans will do nicely. It's only a question of transporting them across the Atlantic.

That conclusion was the start of 300 years of slave trading from Africa.

I have naturally simplified things here. The conference here was made into a TV drama based on the transcripts. That drama and The Wannsee Conference (the German version) are two dramas that in my opinion should be mandatory in schools. A third conference, not made into a TV drama, is the question raised by Emperor Constantine: Was Jesus a man or a god?

These three meetnings are among the ten most important conferences in history.

As for the Reformation in Denmark. It was remarkably peaceful. There were a lot of turmoil in Denmark during that period, but that had more to do with the peasant rebellions in Central Europe prior to that time. The Reformation was more a "natural consequense" of the turmoil.

Some monasteries were indeed "emptied" and the monks/nuns either encouraged to leave Denmark or move to another monastery.

Those who choose to stay lived peacefully in the monasteries untill they died, after which the monasteries went to the crown. That solved the problem without too much fuzz and everybody was happy.

The reason was really quite simple. Younger sons and daughters of the nobillity and those in power had traditionally been placed in a monastery and some retired to a monastery when they got old. They knew the monks and nuns, they were their relatives. So everyone was interested in a peaceful solution.

muhler- you are gem thank you for the interesting back story for the trip, it add such diminsion to the places they are going to visit.

thanks for the links :D

the queen looks GREAT i'm digging the blue gloves and beautiful pin.

http://www.presidencia.gob.mx/en/

members may be interested in the welcome speech by Mexico's president Felipe Calderon where he talks about the warm -and valuable $$$$ -relationship between Mexico and Denmark

muhler- you are gem thank you for the interesting back story for the trip, it add such diminsion to the places they are going to visit.

thanks for the links :)

the queen looks GREAT i'm digging the blue gloves and beautiful pin.

Thanks Juustem, Caroline07, Mitchell and Mayflower for the pictures, articles and video :@: :@:

from the speech of the Mexican President, from the link provided by caroline07 :) :

President Calderón at Dinner Hosted in Honor of her Majesty Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and His Royal Highness Henrik of Denmark, Prince Consort

Monday, February 18 | Speech

Mexico City

I admire the Danish people because they are the happiest people in the world, as borne out by the surveys conducted for the World Database of Happiness being compiled by the Erasmus University of Rotterdam.

Over the years, Denmark has left its mark on Mexico. This morning I mentioned the generous work in Michoacán of Brother Jacob of Dacia, a Franciscan member of the Danish Royal Family, in the 16th century.

I should also mention the fact that 180 years ago, Denmark and Mexico signed a treaty of friendship, trade and navigation and the First Article of this document states that there will be an everlasting friendship between Mexico and its citizens on the one hand and the Danish monarch and his citizens on the other.

I am also honored to announce that the Government of Mexico has decided to grant her Majesty Queen Margrethe II of Denmark the collar grade of the Mexican Order of the Aztec Eagle. His Royal Highness Prince Henrik will be given the sash grade of the Mexican Order of the Aztec Eagle.

summary of the article in Berlingske:

On their first in Mexico QMII and PH were thrown into the hectic traffic chaos of Mexico City, while driving from their hotel to a reception at the presidental palace. Tomorrow they will travel to San Luis Potosi.

Mexico city with it's 25 mill citizens create a smog, a yellow haze, which lies on the city, which is situated in a valley, surrounded by mountains, which stops the smog from leaving.

how fun, it's almost like the ladies dressed as twins :)

chaos doesn't begin to describe mexico city's traffic, add a motorcade into the mix, i can't even imagine the nightmare.

Thanks Juustem, Caroline07, Mitchell and Mayflower for the pictures, articles and video :@: :@:

from the speech of the Mexican President, from the link provided by caroline07 :) :

President Calderón at Dinner Hosted in Honor of her Majesty Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and His Royal Highness Henrik of Denmark, Prince Consort

Monday, February 18 | Speech

Mexico City

I admire the Danish people because they are the happiest people in the world, as borne out by the surveys conducted for the World Database of Happiness being compiled by the Erasmus University of Rotterdam.

Over the years, Denmark has left its mark on Mexico. This morning I mentioned the generous work in Michoacán of Brother Jacob of Dacia, a Franciscan member of the Danish Royal Family, in the 16th century.

I should also mention the fact that 180 years ago, Denmark and Mexico signed a treaty of friendship, trade and navigation and the First Article of this document states that there will be an everlasting friendship between Mexico and its citizens on the one hand and the Danish monarch and his citizens on the other.

I am also honored to announce that the Government of Mexico has decided to grant her Majesty Queen Margrethe II of Denmark the collar grade of the Mexican Order of the Aztec Eagle. His Royal Highness Prince Henrik will be given the sash grade of the Mexican Order of the Aztec Eagle.

You are welcome! I so much enjoy the pictures and commentary posted by others that I am glad that I can also provide a small contribution.

First of all, I would like to thank the members of this forum, who give us all these photos and videos! :hatoff: Queen is an elegant woman, I like what she wore at the dinner. I am happy, that both Queen and prince Henrik are healthy, after the problems they had. I think that they both represent Denmark by the best way

More pictures from the arrival and the presidental dinner:

http://galleri.tv2.dk/index.php/category-N...280/page-1.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday Queen Margrethe visited a home for children Casa Sonrisa, which were supported by Danish selling christmas calendars. The flowergirl, who greeted the Queen, was a 3 year old girl who was delivered at the hone one moth ago. Until then she had lived on the street with her mother and two brothers, selling bubble-gum.

article from TV2: http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php/id-10510386.html

Gallery of pictures from the visit to the children's home: http://galleri.tv2.dk/index.php/category-N...764/page-1.html

Summary of an article in Billed Bladet #8, 2008.

Forlænger turen i Mexico - Extend the tour in Mexico.

Written by Annelise Weimann.

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik has started a five day visit to Mexico. A state visit usually lasts three days, but as there is so much the Queen would like to see of Mexico, this visit will last five days.

The Regent couple was received by president Felipe Calderon Hinojosa at the National Palace, build in 1693. It is now the seat of the government.

The National Palace also contains a number of wall paintings by the Mexican painter Diego Rivera. Who from the period 1929-35, painted the history of Mexico. His wife was Frida Kahlo, famous for her naivistic paintings.

The Queen and Prince Henrik placed a wreath at Altar a la Patria, before they went to a private meeting with the president.

As always a large delegation, led by minister for commerce Bent Bendtsen, accompany the regent couple. Among those who accompany the Regent couple is the Mexican ambassador to Denmark, Martha Coqui.

On the evening of the first day there was a magnificent banquet at the palace Chapultetec, hosted by president Calderon and his wife, Mrs. Margarita. (*)

(*) Note that the president's wife here as a curtesy and sign of respect is called Mrs. Margarita, even though only her first name is mentioned. Very correct.

-------------------------------

Margrethe hjalp præsidentfruen - Margrethe assisted the first lady.

At the palace Chapultetec, orders were exchanged. That usually takes place in private but on this occassion 250 were present.

President Hinojosa first presented Queen Margrethe the Aztec Eagle, in the form of a chain around the neck. Prince Henrik was also presented with the Aztec Eagle but in the form of a huge yellow ribbon.

Then the president received the Order of the Elephant and his wife, Margarita Zavala, who is an attorney, became Knight of the Grand Cross. - It was here Queen Margrethe stepped in and assisted Mrs. Margarita in putting on the ribbon.

A state banquet in Mexico is not same a state gala in Denmark, so the gentlemen wore dark suits and the ladies wore short or the-quarter long dresses. - But you will be able to feast your eyes on that aspect in a few days, or I should completely misjudge our resident video wizzards. :smilie_flagge14:

Chapultetec, is located in the world's largest city park.

http://www.bt.dk/article/20080222/royalt/802220307/

According to this article in BT, Prince Henrik had to support himself to a walking stick when shaking hands and walking to the table afterwards, during the returndinner hosted by the Regent couple at the end of their visit to Mexico. There were 300 guests at the returndinner. They were entertained by various Danish artists and the band of the Royal Life Guards.

Well, he is getting older and he has had a long history of back problems.

Archived