QM II abdication

• mls changed the title to QM II abdication

"Tonight, I would like to express a very special thank you. Thank you for the warmth and devotion which I and my family have received throughout many, many years. 

In two weeks time I have been Queen of Denmark for 52 years. Such an amount will leave its mark on anybody – also on me! The time takes its toll, and the number of “ailments” increases. One cannot undertake as much as one managed in the past. 

In February this year I underwent extensive back surgery. Everything went well, thanks to the competent health personnel, who took care of me. Inevitably, the operation gave cause to thoughts about the future – whether now would be an appropriate time to pass on the responsibility to the next generation. 

I have decided that now is the right time. On 14th January, 2024 – 52 years after I succeeded my beloved father – I will step down as Queen of Denmark. I will hand over the throne to my son Crown Prince Frederik. 

Tonight, I first and foremost would like to express my thanks. Thank you for the overwhelming warmth and support which I have received during all these years. Thank you to the changing governments with whom the collaboration always has been rewarding, and thank you to The Parliament, who have always vested their confidence in me. 

Thank you to the many, many people who on special occasions and in everyday life have embraced me and my family with kind words and thoughts, turning the years into a string of pearls. 

The support and assistance which I have received throughout the years, have been crucial to the success of my task. It is my hope that the new King and Queen will be met with the same trust and devotion which have fallen to my lot."

Thanks for the translation.  It makes sense that something like her surgery and increased mobility issues and health would maybe have given some pause and thinking about the monarchy moving forward.  Still quite a surprise.  The Danes must be in total shock right now. 

32 minutes ago, Izzieq said:

I am in complete shock right now!!  Wow!!  This is the LAST thing I expected on waking up this morning.  Wow!! 

My jaw is on the floor.  I know that sounds over the top but given everything she's always said this is shocking. 

You and me both ... and probably everyone in Denmark! 

Just now, smt1 said:

You and me both ... and probably everyone in Denmark! 

Oh I can just imagine the Danes sitting down as always to watch the speech and it ends like that!  Many are probably still frozen in shock staring at the tv set.  Denmark has certainly entered unchartered territory.  And it makes me wonder what effect, if any, this could have on the other two monarchies in Sweden and Norway.  Denmark has now set a precedent for the future that a monarch stepping aside is an option.  This is an incredibly historic moment for Denmark.  And now it is up to the Danes to give the new King and Queen the space to shape their own reign and the monarchy moving forward.   January 14th will be a very emotional day. 

This also immediately changes the life of Prince Christian and Princess Isabella.  He becomes CP and gets a seat on the Council of State.  His duties will multiply and Isabella will also imo be expected to increase her public role.  

7 hours ago, ayvee said:

So many times, she has mentioned she would never abdicate.  I hope QMII is okay health-wise.

My first thought as well, yesterday. She did, however, change that wording a bit around the time PH was diagnosed with dementia/the time of his death.

There are and will be a huge amount of articles in the Danish and foreign press about the upcoming abdication.

I will personally stick to posting only the ones that are relevant as to the practical side of things and events.

49 minutes ago, mls said:

My first thought as well, yesterday. She did, however, change that wording a bit around the time PH was diagnosed with dementia/the time of his death.

There are and will be a huge amount of articles in the Danish and foreign press about the upcoming abdication.

I will personally stick to posting only the ones that are relevant as to the practical side of things and events.

I thought at some point she also mentioned if her health became an issue when talking about stepping down.  To be honest she's been looking frail for months.  While her mind is sharp I think she finally has to admit that physically she cannot perform the duties of monarch fully and to the level they are expected.  That is why you always say never say never. 

I seriously hope, that King Frederik X will be allowed to be himself and not to be constantly compared to QM.

Not much chance of that, I guess...

Would be rather odd, if a new generation would be expected to do things the same way as the previous...

11 minutes ago, mls said:

I seriously hope, that King Frederik X will be allowed to be himself and not to be constantly compared to QM.

Not much chance of that, I guess...

Would be rather odd, if a new generation would be expected to do things the same way as the previous...

I was thinking the same thing. I hope he and Mary are allowed to now make their own mark as the royal couple.  Of course there will be changes. There always are when there is a passing of the baton.  I hope that they are given the time to settle in and don't compare everything to QMII because that will just overshadow his reign and imo make him incredibly self conscious of every move he makes.  

Such news!

I'm glad Margethe had this choice and she made it. If she can't give 100%, and she recognizes this,  it's a good step.

Here's to seeing King Frederik and Queen Mary. The recent polls show nothing but support. 

And I'm sure the now (in a few days) crown Prince Christian will have a great support system. 

This news was indeed a shock. However, I am happy there was an abdication rather than Prince Frederik taking over at the death of Q. Margrethe. Obviously, the decision was made a while ago and it makes sense for me why the Queen made the sudden changes to the title of Prince Joachim's children and then also Mary and Fred's second visit to her family and Mary's tears at her departure. I assume Mary must have told her family and close friends and realized she wouldn't be able to visit for a while more so that her Dad was not well. Hopefully, he and her siblings will be able to travel to Denmark for the day when the Proclamation will be made.

Happy retirement to Queen Margrethe and congratulations to the Crown Prince couple.

So happy that not only does this happen on a Sunday so I can watch all the coverage as well from here in the US.  But the next day, the 15th, is a national holiday here and my office is closed!