State Visit - Day 1

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Riki said:

For me Mary is the magnet in every picture, she doesn't "disappear" at all. It's an "old" dress but since sustainability is one of the focus areas of this visit, I'm fine with it. Mary looks very elegant, whereas the Swedish ladies all look rather frumpy IMO.

I agree that the shawl was not such a good idea for Scandinavian sea weather, 

I think that Queen Mary knows exactly what she's doing.  She does not disappear at all imo but she also does not stand out too much as to overtake attention away from King Frederik or the Swedish royal couple as the hosts (if that makes sense).  She stands out against Frederik's dark uniform but she is not taking any attention away from him as the monarch.  She also does not clash with what anyone else is wearing either.  I think she struck the perfect balance. And yes, she shows that even as Queen she did not need to go out and buy a whole knew bespoke wardrobe and can rewear things from her closet. 

So she chose the ruby set due to it's connection to Sweden.  We will have to wait until Norway next week to maybe see another tiara.  But it makes sense.  

3 minutes ago, mls said:

Lovely outfit! Is the skirt from an "old" gown? The top part was different.

BB's got the anwer to my question:
"Queen Mary's gown is not new. On closer inspection, it is a dress by Jesper Høvring that has been re-sewn and has a new upper part."

45 minutes ago, mls said:

BB's got the anwer to my question:
"Queen Mary's gown is not new. On closer inspection, it is a dress by Jesper Høvring that has been re-sewn and has a new upper part."

And she continues to be the Queen of Re-wear and Re-work.  No need for a whole new gown - just take one that has already been re-worked and re-work it again to fit the occasion.  Love it!!  She shows it can be done!  No need for new gown all the time! 

Lovely words from King Carl Gustav to Queen Mary

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/talte-direkte-til-mary-dronningen-smilte-ekstrastort-da-hun-blev-naevnt-i-talen

During his speech, King Carl Gustaf addressed his table lady, Queen Mary, directly and praised her with these words.

"I would like to take this opportunity to express my admiration for Queen Mary. Just like the Queen (Queen Silvia, ed.), she came to the Nordic countries from another part of the world, quickly learned a new language, a new culture and took on a very important task," King Carl Gustaf said.