Portrait Paintings of Queen Margrethe II

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Frederik IX and Thor,

Just looking at these, it must be hard to look at yourself through an artists' eyes in some ways. Perhaps it might be more difficult than seeing photos of yourself, as these paintings hang in places for an awfully long time.

I'm thinking particularly of the Boburg and Kluge portraits.

I think my favourite is the Pia Schutzmann.

Thanks for posting them,

Lotte :@:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had NO idea that Andy Warhol did portraits of Q.M.! I learn something new each and every time I come to this board!

Thanks Santa!!

"BG" ^heart^

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
margrethe.jpg

Portrait of Queen Margrethe, Pia Schutzmann.

I love this portrait of Margrethe.

This portrait has really captured her presence, her refinement and features.

Vik :D

What's interesting about this painting is how much emphasis is given to her hands. Only two parts of the Queen's body are illuminated in this portrait - her face and her hands. I wonder if the painter is trying to draw out the Queen's other talents, particularly her artistic side, by drawing our attention to her hands and face. The long necklace too seems to be drawing our eye from hands to face and back again as if to emphasise the important connection between the two.

What's interesting about this painting is how much emphasis is given to her hands. Only two parts of the Queen's body are illuminated in this portrait - her face and her hands. I wonder if the painter is trying to draw out the Queen's other talents, particularly her artistic side, by drawing our attention to her hands and face. The long necklace too seems to be drawing our eye from hands to face and back again as if to emphasise the important connection between the two.

I absolutely agree. I love the way that her hands are positioned and how they are a real feature of the portrait.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks heaps Mayflower sweetheart :D

Is its just me or does HM the Queen look somewhat festively plump in the portrait by Thomas Kluge? Although of course, this style of portraiture is my favourite :D ^thumbsup^

Ryan :@: :@:

Ryan,

You are right; but she has never been plump so I am really confused by the painting. :o

"BG" rub

Ryan , you are most welcome and have a nice trip to Sydney. ^punk^

I agreed with your observation. IMO I think her body proportion as illustrated in the painting is wrong! She appeared short than her actual height. Thus making her looked plump.Her skirt should be a bit longer. :blink:

One more

dronn-01.jpg

A very romantic one! Henrik reading poetry to his wife, perhaps?

"BG" :haha:

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I absolutely agree. I love the way that her hands are positioned and how they are a real feature of the portrait.

So do I - and I love the fact that one of the portraits puts such an emphasis on the Queen's hands. She always carries them so beautifully and they are so expressive and elegant. It's entirely appropriate that one of these great paintings actually focusses on them.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This looks like the uniform of the british order of the Garter. Did Margarethe receive it?

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Archived