• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

kongehuset.dk:

H.M. Dronningen sender kondolence til den franske præsident

H. M. The Queen has today sent condolences to the French president in view of the

evening and the night's tragic events in Paris.

Son Excellence le President de la République Française, Monsieur Hollande

Recevez, Monsieur le Président, nos vives condoléances suite aux attentats tragiques qui ont frappés Paris hier.

Le Prince Consort se joint à moi pour vous exprimer notre profonde sympathie pour ceux qui sont affectés et pour

le peuple français. Nous vous adressons nos meilleurs vœux pour votre pays dans cette situation difficile.

Margrethe R.

I also would like to extend my sincere condolences to the French people.

• 1 month later...

Queen Margrethe has just announced in her New Year's Speech, that Prince Henrik is retiring

Her Majesty The Queen's New Year Address 2015

"Tonight, however, I would like to extend my best thanks to the Prince Consort. My husband has made the decision that the time has now come for him to “slow down” – or, if I may use a common Danish term – to retire. Going forward, the Prince Consort will therefore only to a very limited extent partake in the official events, which for so many years have been a natural part of his life. It is his decision, which I understand and respect. I am deeply grateful for all the support, help and inspiration he has given me over the years. I look forward to continuing to carry out my duties with the support of my husband, though it will be less visible."

Here is the press release from the Court. It's a little more nuanced, than the flat out "PH is retiring" that the press is presenting

http://kongehuset.dk/menu/presse/meddelelser/hkh-prinsgemalen

Google translation

As announced in Her Majesty the Queen's speech has His Royal Highness the Prince Consort decided to retire with effect from 1 January 2016 after more than 40 years of activity for Denmark and Danish interests.

His Royal Highness will "slow down". That means, that the Prince Consort in the future will not participate in a series of official events and meetings, including New Year levees, the opening of Parliament, Ambassador receptions and state visits abroad.

By contrast, the Prince Consort continue to participate in other events of an official nature, among others nytårstaflet and various events taking place where the royal couple have residence.

His Royal Highness keep the bulk of its patronages and honorary position, and the Prince Consort will continue to participate in a variety of chores, including art and culture.

The decision is not expected to have implications for the royal family's overall activity. The relevant tasks will be solved by Her Majesty the Queen or other members of the royal family. Therefore, emphasis is not up to the changes in the total state grant to the Royal Family.

The vast majority of the Prince Consort's share of state benefit goes to the royal family's fixed costs, including operation of buildings, staff and administration. This will also be the case. Shutter decision further expenses will be covered by the Royal Family.

Prince Consort is looking forward to getting more time to deal with art, literature and music - areas all face the Prince Consort's heart.

Sincerely

Michael Ehrenreich
Lord Chamberlain

I was wondering about that too, carrief. I'm trying to remember how the Netherlands conducted State Visits while Queen Beatrix was still on the throne, and Prince Claus had to step back due to illness. Did the Prince of Orange (and later Princess Maxima) join her for outgoing State Visits? - I'm not suggesting that Denmark necessarily follow the way things are done in neighboring kingdoms, but a State Visit is a big load to carry without a partner.

Politiken and Jyllands Posten both have comments about Prince Henrik's retirement from longtime observers of the royal family:

http://politiken.dk/indland/ECE2997924/historiker-dronningen-faar-en-stoerre-arbejdsbyrde/

http://jyllands-posten.dk/indland/ECE8337992/Dronningens-nyt%C3%A5rsbombe-Prins-Henrik-g%C3%A5r-p%C3%A5-pension/

"The Queen will have a greater workload because at official events she will increasingly come to stand alone. She will also have a greater responsibility," says Copenhagen University lecturer Lars Hovbakke Sørensen.

Possibly, Prince Henrik's decision to slow down will have consequences for the traditional summer cruise.

He also points out

"At the same time, it shows that the Queen and Prince Consort apparently have widely different views on tasks and when to retire. The Queen has said that she will continue until she dies while Prince Consort now retires."

I was wondering about that too, carrief. I'm trying to remember how the Netherlands conducted State Visits while Queen Beatrix was still on the throne, and Prince Claus had to step back due to illness. Did the Prince of Orange (and later Princess Maxima) join her for outgoing State Visits? - I'm not suggesting that Denmark necessarily follow the way things are done in neighboring kingdoms, but a State Visit is a big load to carry without a partner.

Denmark doesn't do that many State Visits.

IIRC, I read somewhere, that QM only does one State Visit to a country during her reign and that's why there are countries, like my own, who's had that only State Visit decades ago.

It will be interesting to see if things change or if she's just going to do things on her own. I also wonder, what QM really thinks of this retiring business?? I've gotten the impression, that PH always was the "boss" of the family and that he does pretty much what he wants.

There is the possibility, that he is more ill than we know. Lots of speculation....Maybe he just doesn't feel up to it anymore.

Google translation

As announced in Her Majesty the Queen's speech has His Royal Highness the Prince Consort decided to retire with effect from 1 January 2016 after more than 40 years of activity for Denmark and Danish interests.

His Royal Highness will "slow down". That means, that the Prince Consort in the future will not participate in a series of official events and meetings, including New Year levees, the opening of Parliament, Ambassador receptions and state visits abroad.

By contrast, the Prince Consort continue to participate in other events of an official nature, among others nytårstaflet and various events taking place where the royal couple have residence.

His Royal Highness keep the bulk of its patronages and honorary position, and the Prince Consort will continue to participate in a variety of chores, including art and culture.

I'm not sure I understand this retirement:

Events that he is not going to attend: Opening of Parliament (once a year), New Year's Courts (3 every year), State Visits (max 1 a year, or even less). He is keeping his patronages and will participate in some events.

Incoming State Visits: He has attended only the banquets and the airport. Is he not attending any of it in the future?

He is retiring but giving up only a few events yearly? He will be travelling, attending events that interests him personally and a few events with patronages, once in a while. What is he retiring from? Isn't this what he has done for years now?

Google translation

I'm not sure I understand this retirement:

Events that he is not going to attend: Opening of Parliament (once a year), New Year's Courts (3 every year), State Visits (max 1 a year, or even less). He is keeping his patronages and will participate in some events.

Incoming State Visits: He has attended only the banquets and the airport. Is he not attending any of it in the future?

He is retiring but giving up only a few events yearly? He will be travelling, attending events that interests him personally and a few events with patronages, once in a while. What is he retiring from? Isn't this what he has done for years now?

He is retiring from all the things, where he has to be 3 steps behind his wife:-)

Here's the article on the Danish Radio website (in Danish)

http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/prins-henrik-gaar-paa-pension

The article includes a 50 seconds video of the queen announcing her husband's decision (in Danish, sorry).

I can understand this, at 82 most people would certainly wish to be retired.

On a completely different note... That's such a beautiful blouse QM II is wearing!

Another article from BT

http://www.bt.dk/royale/ekspert-om-henriks-pension-frederik-og-mary-er-ved-at-tage-over

I've pulled out a few quotes from Associate Professor of History at the University of Copenhagen Jes Fabricius Møller:

"In recent years, the royal family has prepared for Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary to take over some responsibility from the royal couple."

"As far as I can observe, this responsibility has already been put in motion," says the historian.
"It is no surprise that the royal couple are now older people. I am sure that the royal family has prepared the transfer of functions for a long time," says the historian, who points out that the Crown Princely Couple have already participated in the outgoing state visits in 2009 in Vietnam and again in 2013 in Chile when the Queen had to withdraw due to illness.

The transfer of functions in a monarchy is prepared from as early as posible IMO, after all it only takes one person to die in order to change the crown prince's role to the one of monarch.

I hope queen Margrethe still has many healthy years ahead of her, but if something should happen tomorrow, crown prince Frederik is fully prepared I think. He's got a good team of advisors surrounding him and so does Mary, and having children that arent's toddlers anymore is also a blessing when it comes to fulfulling such a big task.

The Prince Consorts Court:

"HANS KONGELIGE HØJHED PRINSGEMALENS HOFSTAT

Hofchef Michael Nellemann
Sekretariatschef, major Nils Nykjær
Sekretariatsfuldmægtig Olivier Lesenecal
Kontorfuldmægtig Birgit Heinen"

I think it's surprisingly big for someone who hasn't had a very big amount of public events for some time now.

I know he has many patronages, but still....I don't understand why he needs his own Chief of Court.

Archived