Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik - Part 10

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope we see them at Marselisborg this year. I am only being greedy though as we usually get some photos and I would love to see some of the children with their parents and grandparents.

Last year BB wrote, that F&M spent only about 24hrs at Marselisborg and the rest of Easter holiday at Trend. J&M didn't visit Marselisborg at all.

Maybe the ampel amount of small, lively kids, has something to do with them spending less time with the regent couple?!

Not counting Nikolai and Felix, there are 4 under 4 year-olds + C&I ......

If that is the reason that the families don't spend some much time with the regent couple, I think the Queen and PH are missing out in so much, time they will never get back again.

Well, that's just me speculating. What do I know...

Yes I realise it was just speculation and I did'nt mean to make it sound as if the Queen and PH was doing anything wrong as we all have to live our own lives the way we think best. I think Mary and Frederik love going to Trend and I don't think Joachim has been to Marselisborg for a few years IIRC.

The Queen at private unveiling of Mikael Melbye's new portrait of Prince Christian

Thank you, Natasha

The Queen and PH, but not the parents, Frederik and Mary??

Maybe there will be an official unveiling with F&M and PC all present.

The portrait is very good! I hope he paints Frederik too, at some point.

Or maybe a portrait of F&M next year, in honour of their 10th wedding anniversary.

An article on the new portrait of Christian in Billed Bladet this week. A rough translation.

New portrait of Christian

It was a memorable day for the Queen when she last week at a private revelations was presented a portrait of Prince Christian.

It was a happy and touched Queen Margrethe, who last week received a very special gift - namely a painted portrait of Crown Prince Frederik's oldest son Christian.

At the private revelations the grandmother could for the first time take the painting of the future king of Denmark in sight. The picture depicts Prince Chiristian standing next to one of the three silver lions, which daily guards in the Great Hall at Rosenborg Castle which symbolizes the unity of realm between Denmark, Greenland and the Faroe Islands.

The new portrait was painted by artist Mikael Melbye not unfamiliar with painting the royals. Mikael Melbye also led the brush., when Her Majesty in 2010 itself was portrayed on the occasion of her 40-year government jubilee. The portrait of Prince Christian is also painted on the occasion of jubilee and is a gift to the Queen from Grand Cross knights, chamberlains, gentlemen and ladies and from Mikael Melbye himself.

So the excitement was of course great, just before the oxblood colored dress revealed months of work on the one and a half meter high portrait.

Quick, sweet and impatient

- The picture is not an official portrait, but a personal picture to grandma. Therefore, there should be plenty of "boy'' in the picture, says Mikael Melbye, and confirms that the Queen seemed very well of the portrait and that she easily could recognize her grandson.

- Before I started painting, I had a meeting with the Queen, where I presented her a sketch that she was very happy with - except for one thing. I had seen pictures of Prince Christian in sailor suit and therefore he was in my original sketch wearing it. When the queen saw it, she asked:

- Is it really the intention that he must be in sailor suit? It was not, of course, and therefore was the sketch of course changed to the suit, he wears in the final painting. Incidentally, also to the crown prince's pleasure. He was not enthusiastic of sailor clothes either, says Mikael.

The painting began in earnest in September last year, and there were five so-called sittings and 300-400 working hours, before the queen could see the final result of Christian's and the artist's efforts.

- Prince Christian has been a brilliant model. He's a live-wire, but a well-behaved one. He is smart, inquisitive and sweet ... but impatient, as a seven year should be. But it can be remedied with sweets, says Melbye, who didn’t have a hard time finding twink in Christian eyes.

- Prince Christian already has lots of personality and a strong will. There are plenty of steel in him, but behind his eyes hides also a rouge/rascal. I hope you can see in his eyes, says the artist.

The unveiling of the portrait took place in the Great Hall of Christian IX

Palace at Amalienborg. The portrait was originally intended to hang in the Queens office at Amalienborg, but was decided to hang in Fredensborg instead, as more people will be able to see it there. The frame is both silver and gold and donated by Vallø Diocesan and Vemmetofte monastery.

• 2 weeks later...

Prince Henrik was seen on Saturday in Stockholm, where king Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia inaugurated exhibitions "The King's gift - Gustaf VI Adolf's Gift to the People of Sweden" and "The Warrior Queen and the Bronze Age of China" at Museum of Far Eastern Antiquities.

http://svenskdam.se/files/2013/05/si...l-gustaf-s.jpg

APA PictureDesk: http://www.picturedesk.com/bild-disp/search/search.action?ts=1369510646523&data=eyJzb3J0IjowLCJucnAiOjUwLCJycyI6MCwicG4iOjEsInN0IjoiUVVFUllfU1RSSU5HIiwiYnIiOlsiMDoxOiAgQ2hpbmEgQnJvbnplIEN1bHR1cmUgRXhoaWJpdGlvbiBzdG9ja2hvbG0iXX0&searchID=f209dea7-37ea-42b9-956b-715a5fa459e5

He also inaugurated earlier on the same day, the exhibition "Folj Hjärtat", in Stockholm. There are no pics of him doing so yet.

Archived