General news - Queen Margrethe & Prince Henrik

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The symbolism of the three marble pillars and the elephants is a lovely touch. I don't understand the difference between the opaque and transparent version. Can anyone help?

My guess is that it is one for QMII (the glass one with gold decorations) and one for PH (the opaque), but I don´t know and I haven´t found anything about the difference :rose:

Here's an explanation of the design of the sarcophogas from Trond Noren Isaksen's blog (excellent resource for those interested in Scandinavian monarchies)

http://trondni.blogspot.com/2010/02/queen-...-shown-off.html

Quite some thought has gone into the design, the 3 pillars representing the lands governed by Margrethe II. Also interesting that the royals themselves get a say where they will be interned, Frederik IX is buried outside the cathedral as that was his request to be in the open air. Although there are places for more people to be buried outside Margrethe has asked to be interred inside the cathedral following tradition.

Roskilde Cathedral as history oozing from each part of it, going around to the various chapels ones sees the final resting place of people from history. What struck me the most was how strange it must have seemed to some one like Mary to become aware that eventually her remains will be laid to rest there. Generally in one's 30s you aren't confronted with your own mortality, older people are, it's not strange for them to plane their final resting place or be confronted with it. For some it's a comfort knowing where they'll end up!

At least for Margrethe and Henrik they have a say in the place and the design of their resting place.

• 2 weeks later...

a note in billed bladet #8, 2010 records queen margrethe's reaction to being interred in the glass top-whatever-you-call-it, instead of being buried underneath the tomb.

henrik was in on the idea right away, but QMII said: - what a horrendous idea - .

• 2 months later...

Susanne and Peter Heering's apartment is up for sale.

Photo gallery from BT:

http://www.bt.dk/royale/se-dronningens-sly...llion-lejlighed

The apartment is being sold though this real estate company:

http://eltoftnielsen.dk/%28eokisgam54v12q4...mp;AutoID=69070

I wonder where they will be moving to or if they have another residence and this apartment is just for nights in the city.

I have a question for Danish members:

1. Is it typical to have doors to separate each room? I noticed that the CPC's mansion in Amalienborg has this type of floor plan too. No hallways - each room is connected to another room with doors that can be closed. In the US, most common rooms (like living room, family room, kitchen) don't have doors, except for bedrooms or office room.

I have a question for Danish members:

1. Is it typical to have doors to separate each room? I noticed that the CPC's mansion in Amalienborg has this type of floor plan too. No hallways - each room is connected to another room with doors that can be closed. In the US, most common rooms (like living room, family room, kitchen) don't have doors, except for bedrooms or office room.

The most common thing for apartments as well as houses is a central corridor or small hall, from where you can enter most rooms. I.e. the main entrance leads to the hall/corridor and from there, there are doors leading to the kitchen (and often further on to a pantry), the living room (which in some cases is merged with the kitchen to a family room) a bathroom or guest toilet and the main bedroom and additional two or three rooms.

Are you talking about doors as in wooden thingies that can close off a room? If so, most rooms have such a contraption.

Rooms you have to pass through in order to get to another room are uncommon and basically only seen in old houses and apartments.

Thanks for the info Muhler!

Are you talking about doors as in wooden thingies that can close off a room? If so, most rooms have such a contraption.

Doors in a common areas - living rooms, dining rooms, kitchen, family room - don't usually have doors to close off a room. I suppose this can be added but I haven't seen a lot of houses that do.

Thanks for the info Muhler!

Doors in a common areas - living rooms, dining rooms, kitchen, family room - don't usually have doors to close off a room. I suppose this can be added but I haven't seen a lot of houses that do.

As a former resident of north western Europe, I have a certain expertise that I can share in this matter of doors, as I also found this practice odd. North American houses are built with central heating in mind and doors are absent with a view to enhancing warm (and cold!) air flow. In northern Europe, however, rooms are individually heated. Notice the beautiful 'fireplaces'(I am sure there is a better Danish word) in the corners of the rooms in this gorgeous apartment! The fireplaces would serve as heating sources so that the closed door would keep the room's warmth inside. :shrug::beer2:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...

HRH Prince Henrik will not be buried in Roskilde Cathedral

"On 3 August 2017, The Royal House announced that His Royal Highness Prince Henrik has requested not to be buried in Roskilde Cathedral

as otherwise planned.

The Prince's decision implies that The Prince will not lie next to Her Majesty The Queen under the sarcophagus prepared by Professor and Sculptor

Bjørn Nørgaard.

The Queen has for some time been familiar with the decision of His Royal Highness and acknowledges the decision. The Prince's decision does not

change The Queen's funeral plans.

It has been laid out in the media that The Prince wishes to be buried in France. This is not correct. The Prince’s wish to be buried in Denmark remains,

but the circumstances are not yet in place."

As can be expected, this will be all over the press...

http://www.bt.dk/danmark/utilfreds-prins-henrik-vil-ikke-begraves-sammen-med-dronning-margrethe

"Lene Balleby tells BT that Prince Henry's decision is due to dissatisfaction with his role in the Danish monarchy.

The dissatisfaction has grown more and more in recent years. For the prince, the decision not to be buried next to the queen is the natural

consequence of not having been treated equally in relation to his spouse - by not getting the title and function he has wanted, Lene Balleby says to BT."

1 hour ago, mls said:

"Lene Balleby tells BT that Prince Henry's decision is due to dissatisfaction with his role in the Danish monarchy.

The dissatisfaction has grown more and more in recent years. For the prince, the decision not to be buried next to the queen is the natural

consequence of not having been treated equally in relation to his spouse - by not getting the title and function he has wanted, Lene Balleby says to BT."

I guess the danes will tell him he can do them a favour and go to France and stay there.

• mls locked this topic

Archived